Williams Bros 1/32 Gee Bee R-1

Here I am showing my Williams Bros Gee Bee R-1 which I have just finished after several years on the shelf of delay.  It depicts the 1932 Thompson Trophy winner and was flown by Jimmy Doolittle.

It's made OOB except for the propeller hub, which I remade from aluminum.

geebeer1-10.jpg

geebeer1-13.jpg

geebeer1-16.jpg

geebeer1-19.jpg

I did not include the thin black pinstripes separating the red and white colors as I could not think of a way to produce them in scale.

The pilot figure is from Immense Miniatures.

1 hour ago, kensar said:

Here I am showing my Williams Bros Gee Bee R-1 which I have just finished after several years on the shelf of delay.  It depicts the 1932 Thompson Trophy winner and was flown by Jimmy Doolittle.

It's made OOB except for the propeller hub, which I remade from aluminum.

geebeer1-10.jpg

geebeer1-13.jpg

geebeer1-16.jpg

geebeer1-19.jpg

I did not include the thin black pinstripes separating the red and white colors as I could not think of a way to produce them in scale.

The pilot figure is from Immense Miniatures.

Very clean and neat finish. 

Regarding the pinstripes, it could be worth looking at railway modelling.

They often have many different coloured pinstripe decals for coaches and locomotives. I would predict that they might be thin enough to follow the demarcation between colours. :hmmm:

Congratulations on a striking build.

Cheers 

At first glance it seems to be a fairly simple colour scheme to replicate but I imagine that it has taken a lot of effort to finish the model as you have.   What is particularly appealing to me is how the gloss finish is not overdone (too shiny).  Nice job!   

That is Brilliant!  I've built that kit a few times over the years and know how hard that paint is to accomplish.  Very well done.

The thin black line can be done with drafting tape, but it is the first step in paint. Black first, tape, color.

None the less, great build.

On 3/8/2024 at 12:42 PM, kensar said:

Nice! May I post it on the website?

:clap2::clap2: