Thoughts about Possible Future Kotare Releases - NOT a wishlist

MikeC

1 hour ago, Martini_Man said:

IF the - yet unknown - basic version of ZM focused only on accuracy and ease of buildability, then these kits could be compared to Kotare's approach.

But as ZM's Dora will only get the overly complex SWS treatment, the way is wide open for Kotare to release an easy to build, accurate Fw190D-9 (or D-11/13 which ZM will not touch) without any extra bells and whistles!

Zactly so if they go British, German American, Other, wildcard it could be something like :

a) Spit 1-5 (Brit)

b)109 k4 (Germ)

c) p51 (US)

d)Zero (other)

e) ? 

a) Hurricane 

b) Fw190d 

c) p40

d) ? 
e)?

a) ?

b) 109e

C) Corsair 

d)?

e)?

And then who cares, that’s about 15 years worth of releases

I'm trying to surmise what has been mentioned in this thread.

1. No engine detail

2. Single engine

3. Manageable size

4. Marketability.

5. Research-

ability.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the A4 Skyhawk!

My reasoning (in no particular order);

There are a couple within spitting distance that can be measured, scanned, photographed and crawled over.

Engine detail can be sorted out with a compressor fan and whatever the bit at the backs called.

It's much the same size as a Spit, just thinner and longer.

With sensibly thought out moulds, I cant see why any version couldn't be kitted without breaking the bank.

My supplementary thought - it was operated by 10 nations, wore some fantastic camo schemes, lived in the era of gorgeous / garish nose and tail art, looks great both clean and laden. I'd buy a few (a few dozen if I won the lottery) - only single seaters though.

Now, onto the wishlist that shall remain unsaid -

Waco YMF5 - YES YES YES. a thousand times Yes!

Lysander - see above

CAC CA-15, never going to happen but a boy can dream.

P-51 B - nah, I'm not in that camp, they're ugly, but good luck to those who have no taste :)

1 hour ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

I'm trying to surmise what has been mentioned in this thread.

1. No engine detail

2. Single engine

3. Manageable size

4. Marketability.

5. Research-

ability.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the A4 Skyhawk!

My reasoning (in no particular order);

There are a couple within spitting distance that can be measured, scanned, photographed and crawled over.

Engine detail can be sorted out with a compressor fan and whatever the bit at the backs called.

It's much the same size as a Spit, just thinner and longer.

With sensibly thought out moulds, I cant see why any version couldn't be kitted without breaking the bank.

My supplementary thought - it was operated by 10 nations, wore some fantastic camo schemes, lived in the era of gorgeous / garish nose and tail art, looks great both clean and laden. I'd buy a few (a few dozen if I won the lottery) - only single seaters though.

Now, onto the wishlist that shall remain unsaid -

Waco YMF5 - YES YES YES. a thousand times Yes!

Lysander - see above

CAC CA-15, never going to happen but a boy can dream.

P-51 B - nah, I'm not in that camp, they're ugly, but good luck to those who have no taste :)

And don't forget the potential for at least one RNZAF option, if not boxing.

As for the P-51B:  (1) I suspect that is a possibility, but also that a series of Allison-engined early Mustangs may be; a variety of variants and colours, and not done by anyone in 1/32 except the hard-to-find Hobbycraft (?) kits. And I admit that is also something I'd like to see, but I also think it could potentially happen. And (2) re the B/C, beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

I would definitely buy a P-51B, but Im not even all that much into them, I just think its a very popular aircraft/airframe that most people know that has no current modern new tool kit, which kind of amazes me. It seems like some someone announced or announces one, and others are afraid to release one for fear of duplication.

I think as long as Kotere does the model well, sticks to what they do best and makes it something fairly popular, with a need for a niche (aka no current new tool or at lease well done IM kit out) I think whatever they do will sell fairly well. 

20 hours ago, CharmyDown said:

My very thoughts.

After rummaging through the stash to locate my Revell  Typhoon with all it's various AM bits, I thought this would be a good candidate for a Kotare release.

Maybe not thier next release, but certainly worth future consideration.

Speaking of the Typhoon, over a couple of days this week while I was visiting my sister, I happened to have some free time, so amongst the other things I did to occupy that time, I downloaded a pretty large batch of Typhoon photos that I had never seen before. Given the (apparently) growing amount of Typhoon photos that seem to now be surfacing, along with the one extant example, I think it's entirely reasonable to believe that Kotare might eventually pursue that as a possibility, which would be perfectly OK with me.

3 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Speaking of the Typhoon, over a couple of days this week while I was visiting my sister, I happened to have some free time, so amongst the other things I did to occupy that time, I downloaded a pretty large batch of Typhoon photos that I had never seen before. Given the (apparently) growing amount of Typhoon photos that seem to now be surfacing, along with the one extant example, I think it's entirely reasonable to believe that Kotare might eventually pursue that as a possibility, which would be perfectly OK with me.

Speculative your honour, but we’ll allow it. :P

14 hours ago, Tony T said:

I really hope you P-51B fans get what you want very soon as the endless petulance has been driving others insane for years.

I'm sure it would sell by the container load.

Personally, not interested, but please somebody make the P-51B to shut them up!

Tony

....glass houses.....:)

1 hour ago, RBrown said:

What about the Grumman Wildcat/ Martlet?  Trumpeter's kit has been around for two decades and is ripe for replacement.  Lots of variants for marketing and use by USN, USMC and FAA.  

Was going to mention- maybe after p51, p40, Corsair. But Corsair and Wildcat radial. And Wildcat no NZ liveries I know of, could be wrong. NZ museum has a NZ Avenger - only one engine and folding wings. No idea if this could be a ‘wildcard’ ?

Edited by Pup7309

Also has Kotare ruled out doing 1/48?

the larger aircraft that NZ used could be done in this scale.

Hudson, Ventura, Avenger, Oxford airspeed. The Hudson could even have a silver wings option. 

Also other types Dinah, ki-67 or whatever. All these haven’t got recent competition. 
Anyway this is a bit outside 1/32 but something to consider as these are ruled out of 1/32 as not mainstream and quite large. It would cut down a 1/32 schedule- as anything else like 1/24 racing cars etc

Here are two more suggestions that i think would have great sales potential, a Spitfire Mk. XII and an F4U-4.  These aircraft are not available in 1/32 scale and are poorly represented in 1/48 and 1/72. Perhaps a bit off the beaten path, but so was the Bf 109 K-4.

12 hours ago, RBrown said:

What about the Grumman Wildcat/ Martlet?  Trumpeter's kit has been around for two decades and is ripe for replacement.  Lots of variants for marketing and use by USN, USMC and FAA.  

I would love one but suspect it would not have a folded wing option, and the radial engine means making a subscale or cropped one to fit within the overscale thick nacelle. Kotare likes outline accuracy so I suspect the engine would have to be cropped to fit, just visible from the front — so far the evidence suggests in-line engines only, for now. 

The Douglas A-4 Scooter suggestion appeals. And anything's got to be better than Trumpeter's toytown one piece Skyhawk nose gear "assembly".

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
changes desired

4 hours ago, RBrown said:

Here are two more suggestions that i think would have great sales potential, a Spitfire Mk. XII and an F4U-4.  These aircraft are not available in 1/32 scale and are poorly represented in 1/48 and 1/72. Perhaps a bit off the beaten path, but so was the Bf 109 K-4.

In ww2 I think the NZ Air Force only operated F4U-1/1D

A handful of NZ ders flew Spit xii

Edited by Pup7309