Hawker Typhoons in 1/32 scale?

mozart

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi Max!

I love that kit as well. However, one recommendation from me: if you still have some available pounds, get new wheels from Baraccuda... They are FAR better! The rockets are still available from MDC but Special hobby also released some plastic ones (used for the Tempest).

Cheers

Thierry

Finding Barracuda wheels is another issue though Thierry! I’ve no idea what’s going on at Hannants, search engine timed out twice, postage from Barracuda is crazy, some possibly from China (!). Just keep watching I guess. 

8 minutes ago, mozart said:

Finding Barracuda wheels is another issue though Thierry! I’ve no idea what’s going on at Hannants, search engine timed out twice, postage from Barracuda is crazy, some possibly from China (!). Just keep watching I guess. 

I had that problem with Hannants yesterday, page eventually loaded late in the evening, taking a while just now, using my phone, they have nine sets of wheels in stock.

2 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

I had that problem with Hannants yesterday, page eventually loaded late in the evening, taking a while just now, using my phone, they have nine sets of wheels in stock.

I finally got there also using my phone Andy but helpful “H” flagged up that I had already bought some…..and sure enough there they were in my unfinished Revell car-door Typhoon! If I do ever finish it I’ll use the kit, or MDC wheels! Win - win!

Oh, and I also have a Squadron bubble-style vac canopy too that I bought years ago!  I was delighted to read on the instructions that the kit was mastered by Brian Fawcett, who of course also did the Hurricane corrections (dog kennel, nose and lower wing centre section) that I've used on my PCM build.

Edited by mozart

On 1/13/2024 at 9:04 AM, mozart said:

This iconic aeroplane is very poorly represented in our scale, but why? Bob at MDC produced his excellent resin one (I had one but stupidly sold it…why???) and then there’s the ancient (1973!) Revell car-door version which I have partially built but apparently is now as rare as hen’s teeth! A pretty big gap here for a kit that would have quite a large market methinks! 

The pilot of the current book I’m reading:

7B6OlF.png

flew Typhoons with 184 Squadron in the latter years of the war but the number of engine failures that he records in frightening, not to mention the vulnerability of the air intake and cooling system. Pilots were being sent on highly dangerous shipping and ground attack operations where 20mm flak from Vierling cannons took a huge toll, in, it seems, flawed aircraft! 

A Typhoon being re-armed at Warmwell:

JzbGIS.png

Back in 1994, I recorded an interview of SL Stevenson for a highschool history work (he was living in Switzerland). We made the interview at his place around a cup of tea (or course!). He spoke french with a very strong british accent - not many in the classroom could understand him. Nice memories!

Tristan

2 minutes ago, Warbird said:

Back in 1994, I recorded an interview of SL Stevenson for a highschool history work (he was living in Switzerland). We made the interview at his place around a cup of tea (or course!). He spoke french with a very strong british accent - not many in the classroom could understand him. Nice memories!

Tristan

You lucky man Tristan! Derek (Steve) Stevenson comes over in a very self-effacing way in his book, I’d have loved to have had a chance to speak to him.  “Six Crashes Later” (not a great title in my opinion) ranks alongside Geoffrey Wellum’s “First Light” and Paul Richey’s “Fighter Pilot” as an accurate recount of the life of a WW2 fighter pilot. 

Oh my.  I found My MDC kit. It was lost

in the “auxiliary” stash.  I thought I sold it.  So I cleaned it up and I am lucky.  No warped parts casting seems to be perfect.  Maybe early run off of a set of tooling.  

I maybe going for the Normandy invasion GB.  I need to do a bit of research about August 1944 timeframe.  

back to Max’s thread.  

7 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

Oh my.  I found My MDC kit. It was lost

in the “auxiliary” stash.  I thought I sold it.  So I cleaned it up and I am lucky.  No warped parts casting seems to be perfect.  Maybe early run off of a set of tooling.  

I maybe going for the Normandy invasion GB.  I need to do a bit of research about August 1944 timeframe.  

back to Max’s thread.  

That’s brilliant news Rick! For D-Day and post time frame, check out p82 to 85 here, Boxart Den.

1 hour ago, Lee White said:

If I could ever find the markings info, I’d love to do Sydney Pigden’s Typhoon, he seems to have been one helluva nice guy.

He was with 164 Squadron Lee, here's a selection of the Tiffie's he flew in October 1944:

IoM0o4.png

and the fate of one of them 2 months later, MN237, which has squadron codes of FJ-F.  He, as a Warrant Officer wasn't senior enough to have his "own" plane.

There you go Lee....model on......:piliot:

OFpCl0.jpg

hzTgel.jpg

The Typhoon at the bottom is most likely to be closest to the scheme applicable in October 44.

Edited by mozart

This thread has got me to check up on my Typhoons and Tempests, I found my Revell kit and the Paragon bubble conversion and I have another PCM Tempest and an SH Tempest.

But I only had one Squadron Typhoon/Tempest canopy so I checked the stock at Hannant and elsewhere but could not find any, so I put 2 on my backorder at Hannants.

Today got an e mail from Hannants saying that they were back in stock, so have put my order in.

I noticed that the canopy in the Paragon bubble conversion one was yellow so that is now sorted.

I used one on my MDC Typhoon and it worked out great much better than the one with the kit so having a spares will be nice.

Cheers

Dennis