Hawker Typhoons in 1/32 scale?

mozart

This iconic aeroplane is very poorly represented in our scale, but why? Bob at MDC produced his excellent resin one (I had one but stupidly sold it…why???) and then there’s the ancient (1973!) Revell car-door version which I have partially built but apparently is now as rare as hen’s teeth! A pretty big gap here for a kit that would have quite a large market methinks! 

The pilot of the current book I’m reading:

7B6OlF.png

flew Typhoons with 184 Squadron in the latter years of the war but the number of engine failures that he records in frightening, not to mention the vulnerability of the air intake and cooling system. Pilots were being sent on highly dangerous shipping and ground attack operations where 20mm flak from Vierling cannons took a huge toll, in, it seems, flawed aircraft! 

A Typhoon being re-armed at Warmwell:

JzbGIS.png

Edited by mozart

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

Special Hobby have one in the pipeline, car door slated for first release, when, is anyone's guess.

I won’t hold my breath then Andy! But I’d love another MDC Typhoon if ever I had the good fortune to come across one. :rolleyes:

Edited by mozart

I did try to hurry things along by starting two Revell Typhoons(one car door & one bubble) about a year ago and they are about 60% done but I got sidetracked, oh look there's a squirrel, on other projects. I'll let you know when I start on them again so we can start the countdown.

TRF

1 hour ago, dennismcc said:

A much neglected and very important historical aircraft, the MDC kit is a bit challenging but turns out really nice, with some MDC parts the old Revell kit also cleans up well.

In fact I think I still have another Revell one in the stash.

Z5haUV.jpg

And both

rYjO5u.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

A nice pair :D Dennis, I know you’re a fan so hoped you’d chip in! 

Edited by mozart

I keep hoping for a new tool Typhoon with a detailed engine, especially the car-door version. It's one of the last planes that fascinated me in my youth that is still missing in my stash. Recently I finally added my first FW190 now ZM released theirs, also a plane from my youth. A Typhoon of comparable quality would be a dream come true.

Up until recently i would say we have the amazing Airfix one in 1/24 making the big mouth HUGE. 

But ive recently started the car door version and i have to say the casting is utter ****, there is not one single part that dosent need heavy cleanup, feels like those old revell kits with flash and seam lines. 

Dont get me wrong once you spent hours cleaning the parts the detail and the fit is great, but its a mojo killer

I have 2 of these and the first one has a chance of becoming my second shelf queen right next to the revell p-51d. The secon will most likely be sold. 

Hopefully we get a nice 1/32 one day in car door version

Edited by Neo