Hasegawa Vs Italeri F-104G

Rod Bettencourt

Hello all,

What is the general consensus on the best(German) between the two kits? If I decide to do one It would be an early NMF version. Not looking to do a super detailed piece maybe even canopy closed to keep those sleek lines. Looking for fit and ease of build ( really want to just put a good paint job and finish to it). 

Rod

Edited by Rod Bettencourt

I built the Italeri, and although it has a fit issue with the tail section (throw out the PE collar and just build it plastic-to-plastic), it came out very nicely. Be sure to get metal legs and the AM wheel wells. Would suggest an AM cockpit, too, even with the windows shut.

star2.jpg

Edited by Bill Cross

24 minutes ago, Rod Bettencourt said:

Hello all,

What is the general consensus on the best(German) between the two kits? If I decide to do one It would be an early NMF version. Not looking to do a super detailed piece maybe even canopy closed to keep those sleek lines. Looking for fit and ease of build ( really want to just put a good paint job and finish to it). 

Rod

For a German F-104, none of the Hasegawa boxings have the Martin Baker Mk.7 seat, which was fitted, or retrofitted to German 104s fairly early on.  The Hasegawa kit only has the Lockheed C2 seat, while Italeri has both.  For an early NMF German F-104, the C2 seat it probably all right, though.  Also, the German F-104s wider wheels and bulged MLG doors.  Only a couple of the Hasegawa kits have these as resin parts, but while the wheels are OK, the bulged gear doors are too short.

I did the TF-104 in RCAF markings in NMF using the Italeri kit. It's pretty much the same as the single seater except for the second cockpit. 

For the fuselage, I glued the front and rear halves together to make single piece fuselage sides. That makes it much easier to get a good alignment as well as a stronger bond. 

IMG_20200413_221752-L.jpg

IMG_20200414_001012-L.jpg

Other than that, I didn't have any issues with the build. 

PXL_20221023_210825916-L.jpg

2 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

I did the TF-104 in RCAF markings in NMF using the Italeri kit. It's pretty much the same as the single seater except for the second cockpit. 

For the fuselage, I glued the front and rear halves together to make single piece fuselage sides. That makes it much easier to get a good alignment as well as a stronger bond. 

IMG_20200413_221752-L.jpg

IMG_20200414_001012-L.jpg

Other than that, I didn't have any issues with the build. 

PXL_20221023_210825916-L.jpg

Very nice! A question about the Tf-104 that you used. Did it come with 2 instrument panel decals?

10 minutes ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Very nice! A question about the Tf-104 that you used. Did it come with 2 instrument panel decals?

You know, I'm not sure. I don't think I checked as I used an Eduard PE set for the cockpit. 

PXL_20220828_214213135-L.jpg

If you want/need the kit panels/decals let me know. I should have them around still as I have a third one to build (another single seater). 

Personally I'd go with Italeri all the way, I must like it as I've built three, all different boxings. 

12 hours ago, Bill Cross said:

(throw out the PE collar and just build it plastic-to-plastic)

Agreed, you only need that if you're displaying it tail-off, with the tail on the stand provided.  (And that's another thing, I don't believe Hasegawa has that, nor an engine stand, but I stand (pun intended :coolio:) to be corrected.)

8 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

I glued the front and rear halves together to make single piece fuselage sides. That makes it much easier to get a good alignment as well as a stronger bond. 

I did that on one of my three, and it certainly works: but they can also be made to fit after joining the secrions separately. For my third (the second issue of the A/C)  I decided the key was to make sure they dried vertically, so taped the fuselage to a paper towel holder.

IMG_6527.jpg

And just for completeness, the outcome:

IMG_6601.jpg

I think the Italeri kit is pretty nice but I would get most of the available aftermarket stuff for it.

The only thing that really annoys me about the kit are the panel lines on the fuselage (or any curved surface). They are waaaaaay too big and that is not easily fixed.

On the flat surfaces like wings and vertical stabilizer they are really crisp and nicely restrained.  Its a shame they seem to have this issue on most of their latest modern jet releases. Same thing on the Tornado..

I have built one single seater and I am planning to get going on a Danish TF-104G in the near future. For me the panel line issue is not a show-stopper.. The fit is nice and it builds pretty easy

/Niels

I've been on the fence about getting one of these[ the TF-104] . As along as it fits better than the Mirage IIIc then I might get one, the panel lines aren't a show stopper for me either. I remember watching the Canadian -104s come into the base I  was stationed at [ K.I.Sawyer AFB Mi.] They sounded fantastic with that "howl". once you hear that you never mistake it for anything else!