Zoukei Mura FW-190A-4 JG 54

Uncarina

10 hours ago, MDuv said:

Hi Tom, 
Great painting and assembly on the engine ! And what a lovely inclusion that stand.

I like how you depicted the exhauts, the colors are spot on !

M

Thank you Mathieu! That color took me a long time and many builds to get right: Tamiya XF-72 JGSDF Brown with some darkening at the edges.

Cheers,  Tom

I’ve managed to complete the cockpit module. It was pretty straightforward except that the mounting pegs on the side consoles and the bulkhead behind the seat were too long so I trimmed them. After that they fit against the floor and each other without a gap. I am using their 3-D resin details so I sanded off the original (and still impressive) detail from the instrument panel and consoles. The only addition was straps for the pedals from Tamiya tape. I weathered using Tamiya dark brown wash, a Prismacolor grey pencil, and pastels. 

7rHsPQ7.jpg

BLRLUUt.jpg

hvZIaEW.jpg

LpTN1jn.jpg

XkOUEzT.jpg

Now to add the HGW seatbelts, then it’s on to airframe riveting adventures!

Cheers,  Tom

8 hours ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Nicely detailed and painted Tom!
The addition of the seatbelts should elevate the cockpit even further! 

Thank you! I agree, I’m looking forward to getting those installed.

4 hours ago, Shoggz said:

You're definitely on a very productive and enjoyable to watch roll, currently Tom!

Thanks Richard, it’s definitely been fun so far.

Cheers,  Tom

2 hours ago, Furie said:

And I thought Eduard’s back seatbelts were very long…
They are exactly the same length as your HGW seatbelts.
Very nice cockpit by the way!  ;)

Thank you! The service staff left them long for the pilot to adjust once in place :). Seriously though, I actually cut off a centimeter from them to shorten them and remove the registration numbers. Otherwise they would reach the rudder pedals...

47 minutes ago, mywifehatesmodels said:

Fantastic cockpit, Tom! You're moving along quite nicely. Enjoying this one.

John

Thanks John! I'm glad you like it so far. The next phase will probably prove to take a bit longer.

25 minutes ago, williamj said:

Looks to be a great kit..  :popcorn:   

William, so far so good!

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

I've decided to proceed with the airframe construction as I work out how I will be riveting. After completing the cockpit module the instructions have you attach the right side and bottom fuselage pieces. I had no problems with alignment since I had repeatedly dry fitted the cockpit module to both fuselage sides. After that I attached the bulkheads, and these also fit without problems, even after I repeatedly dry fit the left side:

x9NYSup.jpg

After that I attached the left side fuselage, with a great fit, then added the top section. The right side/top junction fit was stellar, but the left side junction had a hairline gap which I had to address with steel wool. You might want to sand the left upper side of your bulkhead pieces to avoid this. In any case I am pretty pleased with the overall fit, with no seams to fill!

YFU5Qev.jpg

3Hm0YDS.jpg

On to the tailplane module next.

Cheers,  Tom