Concorde

OK, here's another photo of the Duxford Concorde.  Apologies for the poor quality, it's a scanned print, taken in the early-mid 1980s iirc.

820705-Dx-0016.jpg

Yep, that is the view from the left-hand pilot's seat, which at that moment was being sat in by yours truly.  It ain't what you know, it's who you know: my late father was a volunteer Concorde crew with the Duxford Aviation Society for many years.

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Been “purging” a few old photo albums this morning and came across this photo of Uncle Charles enjoying a wee dram on one of his Concorde flights. Comfy seats! 

OE4pW6.jpg

That's exactly what I see in my mind's eye if I think of the quintessential English gentleman. 

6 minutes ago, Lee White said:

That's exactly what I see in my mind's eye if I think of the quintessential English gentleman. 

He was indeed Lee….little bit of a rogue in truth when it came to some, ahem…..”financial matters”.  One of his entertaining stories is about when he and some friends were out for an evening’s ride on their motorbikes, they stopped off at a pub for a drink only to be told in no uncertain manner that motorcyclists weren’t served in his establishment. They went back a week later in their sportscars, walked in and ordered double measures then, before paying walked out having reminded the landlord that motorcyclists weren’t served in his establishment! Quite a character was Charlie! :D

And I hope Uncle Charlie paid well for his drink in the Concorde.
Because leaving the Concorde that flies to Mach 2, without paying for a drink, is not a good idea!
Or you do it once, but only once…

:P

Edited by Furie

On 11/30/2023 at 1:54 AM, Ol' Scrapiron said:

I like the comment above "All of them"  ... but I have had a chance to see three, two of which I got inside. Here are a few pics of different parts of the plane -- there was mention of the cockpit being "F-1"-ish and how snug the interior was. I look forward to photographing at least a couple more. I wish I had been agressive about getting to see one at Dulles when we lived in Fairfax VA in the early '80s. If the timing was right, we used to see them overhead a couple times a day... but I never got a chance to a closer look at one on the ground (until visiting the Udvar-Hazy that is). The Museum of Flight is about 25 miles north of me and I have a membership there... but the Concorde is just one of hundreds of amazing planes vying for my attention when I go.

There’s also one at BGI, Grantley Adams Airport in Barbados.

TW.

On 11/30/2023 at 1:54 AM, Ol' Scrapiron said:

Concorde SST 101 G-AXDN “Miss Moses Lake”

IWM Duxford

Concorde-IWM-Duxford-2008-02-19-7029.jpg

-

Concorde-IWM-Duxford-2008-02-19-7030.jpg

Concorde SST 205 F-BVFA
NASM Udvar-Hazy

Concorde-Udvar-Hazy-2015-10-22-2539.jpg

-

Concorde-Udvar-Hazy-2015-10-22-2547.jpg

-

Concorde-Udvar-Hazy-2015-10-22-2548.jpg

Concorde SST 214 G-BOAG
Museum of Flight

Concorde-MoF-2023-08-05-9650.jpg

-

Concorde-MoF-2023-08-05-9656.jpg

-

Concorde-MoF-2016-10-07-4307.jpg

-

Concorde-MoF-2016-10-07-4301.jpg

-

Concorde-MoF-2023-08-05-9664.jpg

-

Concorde-MoF-2016-10-07-4309.jpg

-

Concorde-MoF-2023-08-05-9655.jpg

I've been to Air Venture in WI 4 or 5 times now, and my first one was back in the early 80s.

As a kid I saw a LOT of cool, loud and unbelievable aircraft that week.......

I was in the humongous vendors tent during the afternoon one day and all of a sudden my dad and and I felt everything in the tent start to shake and rattle.

I then heard one of THE loudest sounds I had ever heard in my short life.

I dashed from my father's side and straight out of the vendors tent in the direction of Wittmans main runway, just to see the Concord taking to the skies.......

I felt it vibrating the organs inside my body.

A sight and sound I'll never forget!

On 11/30/2023 at 10:13 PM, MikeC said:

OK, here's another photo of the Duxford Concorde.  Apologies for the poor quality, it's a scanned print, taken in the early-mid 1980s iirc.

820705-Dx-0016.jpg

Yep, that is the view from the left-hand pilot's seat, which at that moment was being sat in by yours truly.  It ain't what you know, it's who you know: my late father was a volunteer Concorde crew with the Duxford Aviation Society for many years.

I did not realise how much distortion those windows gave.  Kudos to the pilots who learned to work with such information

4 hours ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

I did not realise how much distortion those windows gave.  Kudos to the pilots who learned to work with such information

Well, that's with the visor up for sustained supersonic flight, where, if you see something in front of you, it's too late to do anything about it. 

32 minutes ago, Lee White said:

Well, that's with the visor up for sustained supersonic flight, where, if you see something in front of you, it's too late to do anything about it. 

Instrument flying a canned profile. 

I doubt they would have seen that strip of metal shed by a DC.10 or Tristar - makes you wonder how much metal is shed by jets.

Tons of sh** by all accounts.

And the Russian aviation industry. Oh boy. There's a tragedy waiting to happen, whether or not the runways are properly swept.

Tony 

On the Smithsonian Channel there is a program entitled "Air Disasters". They recently played a chapter on the loss of the Concord and the investigation into the cause. I found it worth watching if you have an interest into Concord.

Jager

Living on Tulsa Time

On 12/2/2023 at 7:58 AM, mozart said:

Been “purging” a few old photo albums this morning and came across this photo of Uncle Charles enjoying a wee dram on one of his Concorde flights. Comfy seats! 

OE4pW6.jpg

I’ve had a wee dram or two.  That ain’t a wee dram.  Would kill a close relative for that ‘stache, by the way.

On 11/30/2023 at 7:40 AM, Stokey Pete said:

I was fortunate enough to have flown on one with my dad for his 40th Birthday.

A 90 minute, champagne fuelled, supersonic jolly boys outing. 
A truly spectacular experience. 

I had a similar flight with my mom, who loved the Concorde. We paid $50 each for a flight at an airshow. I heard just recently that the airshow organizer miss-used some government funding to sell these subsidized flight to his friends and family. We lucked out in getting seats ourself. I only thought the tickets were a bargain.