USS Enterprise (from Star Trek)

Phil Smith

As I dust off the bench for my next project, a 1/32 F-16C, I thought I would post a few shots of a model I just completed of the Enterprise from Star Trek. I was 10 or so when I saw Star Trek: The Motion Picture and the ship depicted in the film blew my socks off. It was dazzling to me. As I grew older, I began to appreciate even more the thought that went into the design and the craftsmanship of the filming miniature. I've wanted to build a model of the thing for as long as I can remember, and Polar Lights came out with an appropriately large 1/350 scale kit. 

I decided to make this my own ship, adding my own details and color palette. The vehicle is fictional and I could care less about canon. I wanted the model to reflect how I think such a huge machine might look, and it seems to me metal cladding of some sort made sense (the world of Trek modeling, I discovered, is obsessed with "what color is the Big E?"). Lighting seemed a no-brainer for this subject. The model uses 50 pico-scale LEDs from an excellent outfit called Evan Designs, all powered by an over-worked 9V battery in the belly of the vehicle. Fiber optics and so forth distribute light here and there, and a rod of light conducting acrylic is used in each engine nacelle for the faint purple glow. I wanted the portholes to be bluish and subdued, with variation from one to the other, and the spot beams a warm shade not unlike those seen on commercial aircraft. Four strobes complete the effect.

Anyway, it was a pleasure to build and I am pleased with the results. I also got plenty of experience working with metallics and I am now over my fear of working with these wonderful shades (the 1/32 Tamiya P-51K model I recently built also helped mitigate that fear).  IMG-1167.jpg

IMG-1179.jpg

IMG-1190.jpg

IMG-1195.jpg

Edited by Phil Smith

Super nice! Love the NMF finish. FYI' I have read the studio model was a single color, the Aztec pattern was simply different levels of gloss/flat. Studio lighting created all the various colors/shades everyone argues over.  Your lighting is awesome, too.

:clap2:

2 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Super nice! Love the NMF finish. FYI' I have read the studio model was a single color, the Aztec pattern was simply different levels of gloss/flat. Studio lighting created all the various colors/shades everyone argues over.  Your lighting is awesome, too.

:clap2:

I concur.  Looks much more real this way too, and in line with the more modern interpretations of space craft surface finish since Star-Trek Enterprise (where CAD models were used instead of physical models)