** Finished ** 1/32 Kotare Spitfire Mk.1a N3180 "Kiwi"

Tolga ULGUR

Apart from adding rigidity, the stated reason for representing the internal ribs was to produce a slight 'oil-canning' effect on the outer surface. Deliberate sink marks in fact. It's only just visible if you look with the light at the right angle. Very subtle. I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't heard the interview with Richard Alexander.

21 hours ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

Very nice work, though I am a bit confused about the amount of detail on the inside of the wings which will never be seen once the 2 halves are glued together.

Seems like a pointless exercise to invest so much time and manufacturing effort in creating the injection moulds with all that intricate cutting work.

As much as I understand what you're saying here, let's see the final effect once the wings are assembled and perhaps painted.  These guys have produced some absolutely wonderful kits in the past of which there's been many great builds here on this forum, so I'm looking forward to see the final results.  Certainly, if it's all put together well, it will be a lot more rigid than other offerings and the dihedral and general look of the plane should be excellent.  It will add to the cost of the model as you say, but I'm looking forward to seeing this built.

Cheers,

Michael

6 hours ago, Kapiti Kid said:

Apart from adding rigidity, the stated reason for representing the internal ribs was to produce a slight 'oil-canning' effect on the outer surface. Deliberate sink marks in fact. It's only just visible if you look with the light at the right angle. Very subtle. I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't heard the interview with Richard Alexander.

Thanks for this information.  If that is the case than hats off to the designers of this kit.  Must take a really indept knowledge of the cooling process to control shrinking of the hot plastic in this fashion.

On 9/6/2023 at 9:56 AM, geedubelyer said:

This is fun to watch Tolga. Thanks for sharing your progress.

Everything is looking super. :thumbsup:

On 9/6/2023 at 10:55 AM, Landrotten Highlander said:

Very nice work, though I am a bit confused about the amount of detail on the inside of the wings which will never be seen once the 2 halves are glued together.

Seems like a pointless exercise to invest so much time and manufacturing effort in creating the injection moulds with all that intricate cutting work.

Thanks

And come together..

"Here come old flattop he come grooving up slowly
He got joo-joo eyeball he one holy roller
He got hair down to his knee
Got to be a joker he just do what he please

He wear no shoeshine he got toe-jam football
He got monkey finger he shoot coca-cola
He say “I know you, you know me”
One thing I can tell you is you got to be free

Come together right now over me

69.jpg