1/32 Trumpeter TBD-1 Devastator

monthebiff

Couldn't resist starting this one upon having it in my grubby mitts as it seems like forever since Trumpeter initially announced its release and finally after all this time its here. 

20230802-152118.jpg

Definitely one of Trumpeter's A-Team offerings with no over the top panel lines/rivet detail to be seen and nicely done corregation on the wings.

20230802-205548.jpg

20230802-152401.jpg

I also ordered some of the new Airscale Pro sets to help lift the overall detail on this build especially with the huge cockpit being so open under all that glazing

20230814-182430.jpg

20230814-182452.jpg

20230815-154028.jpg

20230815-153812.jpg

20230815-153705.jpg

20230815-153737.jpg

Now this is one extremely nicely put together package as you would expect and will will really lift the overall look of the cockpit.

On a personal note I would loved to have seen a full set of Airscale seat belts included so you have everything in one cockpit upgrade package and would happily pay the extra cost this involved. Maybe something for any future Pro releases we have coming our way?

I also purchased a few Airscale Pro 3D printed items for this build as well.

First up is the replacement wheel set as I'm not a fan of the kit supplied rubber tyres

20230814-190800.jpg

Replacement propeller which is a big step up in detail to the single piece part in the kit

20230814-182643.jpg

and finally for now the telescopic gun sight

20230814-191212.jpg

I'll post some more pictures once the cages are cut away but the quality is very good!

Not completely sure about my subject choice yet but will definitely be an early yellow wing bird with unpainted aluminium interior prior to moving over to interior green to help stop the glare from all that shiny metal.

I will be using the Gold Medal Models decal Vol.1 which is a huge improvement over the kit supplied decal sheet both in colour but more importantly fidelity. Trumpeter stencils on top and Gold Medal below.

20230815-154851.jpg

20230815-155003.jpg

So first up its time to trim a d clean up various cockpit parts in readiness for the Airscale etch

20230815-155823.jpg

This will be something a bit different for me as don't normally build nice colourful, clean, shiny airframes with little or no weathering.

Regards. Andy 

9 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

This Airscale kit looks really promising, especially with the additional input from Trumpeter :)

Will follow with interest 

Cheers

Martin

It does indeed Martin,  just need to go find a few few more early unpainted cockpit interior shots now.

Regards. Andy 

So made a start on the cockpit after careful study of the Airscale etched sheet and its instruction. You definitely need to be clear in your head the way you are going to approach the build sequence and painting/ decal application as you also need to add switches  etc afterwards which are supplied on the fret 

20230817-212247.jpg

The pilots head rest is wrongly shaped in the kit but the correction is supplied in the Airscale fret so out with the razor saw

20230817-212314.jpg

and the started building up the replacement head rest

20230817-212332.jpg

A big improvement all round especially the surface detail, I need to make up a pad for the head rest but so far so good.

I've also been working on the wings and fit is excellent, some pretty tight tolerances going on so a bit of care is needed on the dry fit.

20230802-211524.jpg

That's the big central section with upper and lower wing halves together as well as landing flap in place. 

Speaking of wings,  this is what the corregation looks like on the leading edge 

20230802-215732.jpg

A bit of work to do but all in all  not to bad. The oute wing sections go together nicely along with the outer flaps

20230805-195931.jpg

And a quick look at the outer wing roots

20230805-200036.jpg

20230805-200043.jpg

This is a  ice kit from Trumpeter and the extra details from Airscale will take it to another level.

Regards. Andy 

14 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Very nice, Andy!  Funny looking at the Trumpeter stenciling... if you squint, it actually starts looking like blurred letters! :lol:

It's hilariously bad isn't it John :rolleyes: the decal sheet is pretty poor in general with poor colours and very thick along with comedy stencils. Its a file in the bin from me!

Regards. Andy 

11 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

It's hilariously bad isn't it John :rolleyes: the decal sheet is pretty poor in general with poor colours and very thick along with comedy stencils. Its a file in the bin from me!

Regards. Andy 

Yeah, I've never liked Trumpeter decals and will only use them as a last resort.

Watching with interest. I have the PE and decals also although from all I have heard the decals suck and the kit decals are better. I figure I will just make stencils. Where is the Telescopic sight and Propeller from? I would like to get those also. Hoping to start my kit after I finish my PT-17.

James

Oops, answered my own question and have them ordered.

Edited by Hagar

Yeah, please go on and show us step by step how to use these Airscale PE-parts, then I won’t need to be too focused and can stay way more relaxed when I do mine… I’d even have some wine then instead of Ritalin :)

The Trumpeter decals are bad, of course, but the plastic looks very nice in my eyes.

Andreas

21 hours ago, Hagar said:

Watching with interest. I have the PE and decals also although from all I have heard the decals suck and the kit decals are better. I figure I will just make stencils. Where is the Telescopic sight and Propeller from? I would like to get those also. Hoping to start my kit after I finish my PT-17.

James

Oops, answered my own question and have them ordered.

I'm interested to see what you have heard about the quality of the Gold Medal Decals, I obviously both in hand and to my eye the Trumpy stuff is very poor in every way.

Regards. Andy  

11 hours ago, Borsos said:

Yeah, please go on and show us step by step how to use these Airscale PE-parts, then I won’t need to be too focused and can stay way more relaxed when I do mine… I’d even have some wine then instead of Ritalin :)

The Trumpeter decals are bad, of course, but the plastic looks very nice in my eyes.

Andreas

The Airscale PE is excellent Andreas but you do need to just take you time and one part at a time but all comes together very nicely.

You are indeed correct In that the plastic is excellent but very tight tolerances so be careful!

Regards. Andy