Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire XIVe Conversion (Laminar Flow Design)

Thunnus

21 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Nice work on that control stick John!

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom!  Obviously, the Tamiya stick would need some work to get it up to snuff.  The two Barracuda sticks are pretty comparable but it was quite fiddly to drill the small holes in the older resin stick to run the wiring through.  No work done on the 3D printed version... just a coat of primer.  Not sure why the shapes of the handles are so different on the two Barracuda sticks.

10 hours ago, Woody V said:

Is the control rod (for lack of a better term) on it hinged? 
One simply cannot believe these printed aftermarket parts.

There is no physical hinge (small pin) but the control rod can be posed as if hinged.  When I arranged the parts for the photo, there was not enough friction to hold the 3D control rod perpendicular like the other two examples (which were glued). And yes, the detail on the 3D printed control stick is quite impressive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 8:36 AM, MDuv said:

GyXkX0v.jpg

If any one knows what is the purpose of the control unit behind - Correction : between the radio control box and the door access, I’m all ears.

My research says that the circular grey control between the radio box and door is the Type 45 gun camera film footage indicator.

Type-45-01.jpg

Type-45-Gun-Camera-Indicator.jpg

8 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I really like the look of the Barracuda sticks and plan to fit one in my (still unstarted ) PCM conversion, which now might become an F18 rather than F XIVe, I can’t decide which.

John

Yes, I think both Barracuda control sticks look very nice.

In a bit of a holding pattern as I await some XIVe specific cockpit parts from Laminar Flow Designs.  Decided to kill some time and assemble and paint the kit instrument panel to see how it would compare with the Quinta Panel.  I started off trying to use the decals for the gauges but I had Airscale's instrument decals as well as the PE instrument bezel fret so it was dressed up with those.  And I topped each gauge with a clear acetate disc.
IMG-5611.jpg

IMG-5613.jpg

Obviously a lot less detail than the Quinta panel but I do like the less cluttered look of the kit panel and the superior contrast between the individual elements.
IMG-5612.jpg

IMG-5614.jpg

On 10/26/2023 at 9:56 PM, Thunnus said:

My research says that the circular grey control between the radio box and door is the Type 45 gun camera film footage indicator.

Type-45-01.jpg

Type-45-Gun-Camera-Indicator.jpg

Hi John, that’s a great find! Thanks for sharing this.

i happened to have taken delivery of the Kotare spitfire recently, and it looks it was already equipped on the MkI as well. I was thinking it was some super secret (for the time) equipment related to fighter recon mod… definitely looking the wrong way on this.

Great progress also on your cockpit ! I do really like better the kit part! Much neater and better definition on the details. One addition that could be worth is to picking up the instruments 4 fixing bolts. Magnification glass aid welcome.

Cheers

Mathieu

• 1 month later...

It's been a while but I think I can get back onto this build.  After starting this build, I've learned that the XIVe cockpit differs in some ways from the XVIe and I wanted to attempt to address some of those differences.  The most significant is a big control panel that resides on the port sidewall.
Pilot-s-Notes-for-Spitfire-XIV-XIX-19.jp

A rectangular box can be a relatively simple thing to scratchbuild but I personally have trouble getting square corners on boxes.  When I saw that Mathieu at Laminar Flow Design was developing a set of XIV-specific cockpit details including the control panel, I decided to wait for it to save me some work.  It took a while but I finally got it...
IMG-5625.jpg

Like his other 3D-printed products, Mathieu incorporates a protective crate around the printed parts.  He graciously include an entire spare set and I found that the spare set was definitely needed.
IMG-5626.jpg

IMG-5627.jpg

Here are the parts still attached to the base but with the protective walls removed. Many of these parts are super tiny and lots of patience and care needs to be taken when removing the parts for use.
IMG-5628.jpg

I tried to be careful but I still managed to lose and/or break a few parts.  Mathieu includes two copies of the especially small or fragile parts in each set so sometimes I had four copies to work with. I needed all four removal attempts to get a complete throttle lever detached without breaking!
IMG-5629.jpg

After the parts were freed completely from their printed supports, I glued together the sub-assemblies. These included the pilot door and crowbar, throttle quadrant, landing gear control quadrant, cylinder priming pump. The control panel, waffle-style foot guards, canopy crank and a small trim wheel are stand alone items.
IMG-5631.jpg

The parts were given a light coat of primer (Mr Primer Surfacer 1000).
IMG-5632.jpg

I've got a lot of Spitfire cockpit stuff from Barracuda as well so I'll to sort out which bits I'll be using.  One of these is a resin seat with the backrest cushion, which looks to be a nice upgrade from the kit parts.
IMG-5633.jpg