Tamiya Spitfire XVIe 443 Hornet Sqn RCAF

JefH

Hi everyone.

Been away from the forums for a couple years due to some personal apathy towards aircraft builds.  I made a start on this kit last May but, couldn't get past the engine and cockpit before putting it back in the box.  But I recently visited the USAF museum in Dayton while travelling with the family and I'm ready to jump back into LSP subjects. 

I'm building this Tamiya 1/32 XVIe as a plane from 443 Sqn RCAF in Aug 1945. 

AJFCJaU-Uy76uWWpxn1RF-mscsy1C_Gubmeo2FKx

The powerplant and cockpit are fairly out of the box except for some wiring added, Eduard instrument panel and HGW belts.

AJFCJaWVCv3QY0QiFgTdPW3lIkZav4Mc7Mf_kyXT

AJFCJaVJm3yrHquJUuxxWfztvSrINT0eSdSkNR24

AJFCJaWLaNMDVbnEiFzyQ6yYovSEyz6xrE18CrDJ

AJFCJaW9DOhLLdLyamYYy_CcnP4ORv8Ybu2Qh2mH

AJFCJaXuEYu6YIatNsSPzISTMvxVLD1lWxS1z_mB

AJFCJaVtYH62Jv885X5uAX5GRDZFcm_aZwiMdvyI

AJFCJaWemIS2n_58pkQlZ7hqECsLd3ZCmSVeuSAX

Here's where I picked it up last week.  I intend to place it on a small base with a side engine panel removed and a mechanic inspecting the engine.  I used masks to make the large C1 roundels, HGW wet transfers for the stencils and decals from Kageros Top Colors 24 book.  The Kagero diagram showed the landing gear bulges so I included them.  After fact I learned that may or may no be correct.     

AJFCJaUWNSnipUyrgJ9-b6UeqYi8QCaxVUhKCE_a

AJFCJaVkGWVuZ-b070MiIW207dwwLIXDiYTDUDt1

AJFCJaVKAY8aJH96c7rL5QItnEuEm3VH__-Pl1yD

AJFCJaXbtvYKOXvJk48jBWK6_TsfbxfQUjhENelc

The engine still needs to be glued to the fuselage, which I hope will tighten up some of the gaps.  Also 2nd gloss coat should also help unify the sheen near the stencils.   

Good to be back and revisiting all the great work on this forum.  I'll do my best to stay motivated and drag this one over the finish line.

Thanks for looking.  Jeff

Edited by JefH
photos not working

You will not be allowed to leave again without permission !!

CA8xzm8.jpg

Excellent work on the Spit too btw.

• 3 weeks later...

Very small update.  After a quick enamel wash and a satin varnish I let the clear cure for a few days.  I initially felt that maybe the wash was too subtle, but after the satin varnish I'm happy enough with where it's at before I get into more serious weathering.  Since I plan to leave the port side engine cover off I added a little more wiring to busy it up.  On the topic of cowls I will have to glue down the lower one because the gap is just enough to drive me crazy.  The canopy and windscreen and both just dry fitted at the moment so I can fit the gunsight nearer completion.

While the clear was curing I wanted to build a small 1/35 vehicle to accompany the spit in a small diorama.  Initially I was planning on building a Canadian Military Pattern 15cwt Truck from IBG, but it was a nightmare.  Warped sprue and short shot doors.  I've had iffy luck with IBG stuff, but they're probably my favourite company for the subjects they choose to make.   So as a backup I jumped into a 1/35 Tamiya Jeep.  From what I understand although RAF Sqn weren't typically issued with jeeps, RAF TAF units were since they operated from unfinished forward operating airfields.  My initial plans it to have the Jeep parked close to the Spit with the mechanic using the hood as a workbench.

Sorry for the delays, but thanks for looking.  - Jeff 

AIL4fc8BGpLB9E2ylBs-mnHTMSNVW70ao_t839Ti

AIL4fc_NI4mhGD-s6AuSL8ChxlCXx8TlMQVyw-7y

AIL4fc_s5gUQKVGD1U3cR_xDzdlGKoAeP71RERG8AIL4fc9OiYTjBqoib7lZLqvXfjabglDvTvx3KoQlAIL4fc-C6yn3lBL_x506kXd-Ld-1eN3Kwpg_mFCx

AIL4fc9d4sBCn6HRyD8oMXxrtyeCXrw0XL5EMe3M

AIL4fc-SomstTSK29YzstcENXFsKROt-oYtcNNVA

Edited by JefH
photo error

On 7/4/2023 at 8:14 PM, JefH said:

The Kagero diagram showed the landing gear bulges so I included them.  After fact I learned that may or may no be correct.     

I find the phrase "So prove me wrong!" useful in such circumstances. :)

I'm doing a XVI atm, so appreciate this model all the more :goodjob:

Edited by MikeC