F-15A Improved Baz

Hey all-

I wasn’t originally planning on posting any of this. It’s already up on LSM.. but over here in  LSP land; I’ve pressed pause on the Beaufighter while I wait for Ali to create some new transparencies, and Timmy! is working some incredible magic on my behalf for the big Smurfjet (super excited/you’ll dig it)…so this project was really just a mojo placeholder, but what the hell- here it is.

How about a big IAF Eagle in its current config?

I started with the Aires early F-15 cockpit. The IAF Eagles are similar to a MSIP II, with a few twists. For starters, the cockpit is black. Bay 5- a lot different.
I filed off all of the side console detail from the Aries cockpit and got busy-

9AcPg1E.jpg

The Quinta IP is sized to overlay the Tamiya IP; but the Red Fox IP dropped right on top of the Aires blank panel. The Red Fox IP was carefully painted black

aorb2Gz.jpg

The ADI and HSI were replaced with Airscale decals. A few parts from the Quinta set were used

H8LTNOX.jpg

Side consoles were 100% Quinta..again carefully painting out any grey areas with black

3MZ1356.jpg

P

Pressing on-

scuff marks on heel pads done

DntEJES.jpg

some scratching of Bay 5 to receive the IAF-specific gear 

7XOhc9o.jpg

Israeli Frankenstein plate-

qyqhWNJ.jpg

First blast of interior green with a few filters applied 

C6mBt0B.jpg

The TEWS racks are omitted on the IAF jets. I scratched the cooling ducts that remain, and the brackets that are all over the place 

8irzTqq.jpg

P

Really nice so far Pete but I’d expect nothing less from you.  

Ugh, is that bay five color that elusive “F-15 blue-green” color that the U.S. shed so long ago?  Somewhere in a paint jar, long, long ago and now lost, I had that color from I can’t remember who… peeps used to pull their hair out trying to replicate that funky color.

Ive got the GWH 1/48 F-15C 2nd in the queue after building the 1/48 Tamiya F-14A Tomcat my son gave me for a birthday present.  I can’t say which one I’m looking forward to more.

Edited by Juggernut

1 hour ago, Juggernut said:

Ugh, is that bay five color that elusive “F-15 blue-green” color that the U.S. shed so long ago?  

Hey Jugg-

yep. Whata PITA that was.

I ended up mixing my own out of some aqueous Mr color metallic blues and greens. I shot it over a silver base; and then used some filters to adjust the color…and then an oil wash and some dry brushing. The IAF jets are pretty weathered too- so I had a lot of wiggle room to interpret the color vs. the typically pristine USAF jets. 

cheers

P