Tamiya 1/32 Corsair "Birdcage"

Bstarr3

Prop balance weights are (generally) attached to a fitting at the prop hub for several reasons (technical and safety). In this case, it might be easier to affix them to the tips for testing. Once you determine if this solves the problem, you can hide them in the hub, but adjust the amount for the moment arm length. Another possibility is something different (density, length, pitch) in one blade relative to the others. Over the years I’ve stopped several ceiling fans from oscillating by bending the blade mounts so the blades “track” each other more closely and adjusting the blade pitch to get them as close the equal as possible. Another consideration is the motor mount itself. In the vid you are holding the assembly in your hand. This can amplify the unbalance, the Lockheed Electra is a case in point. When testing get the mounting as solid as possible and try to get it close to what you will use in your build. 40+ years of Mechanical Engineering helps, but the real value fun is what I’ve learned being a nuisance to some friends who are A&Ps over the decades. :lol:

Edited by Tec182

While I was puzzling about this motor issue and waiting for suggestions from the peanut gallery, I set about some figure painting yesterday. The kit pilot figure is actually pretty well molded for what it is. The detail is not as great as a resin figure, but looked like the face was well-sculpted enough that I could get a decent result with painting it. 

I’ve used this technique for my last few figures and been happy with the result. First I prime with Mr Surfacer 1500 black, then do zenithal highlights by spraying a light color - in this case MRP clear doped linen - from an angle above, creating highlights where they would naturally fall, and leaving shadows elsewhere. 

IMG-2083.jpg

Then, I brush paint with Vallejo Model Colors, mixed with glaze medium. This creates a thin but even layer of color, through which the shadows and highlights show nicely. 

IMG-2084.jpg

Here are the basic colors blocked in:

IMG-2088.jpg

I start with a base layer of brown sand on the face, then mix up a wet palette with sunny skin tone, brown sand, and buff, blending shadows and highlights between these three colors. 

IMG-2092.jpg

that one brush is what I use for the whole figure, although irises of the eyes were done with a toothpick. 

here’s the finished work:

IMG-2089.jpg

IMG-2091.jpg

Edited by Bstarr3

Well, sadly, this build is going on hold for the next few months (and just when I was getting into a flow!), as we've somewhat unexpectedly put our house on the market in order to relocate for a new job.  So the junky modelling desk gets packed away, completed subassemblies and painted figures carefully put away for the next time.  Hopefully, the next time I see you all, I will be posting some shots of my new and improved workspace in the new place.  

Hey Brian... I am enjoying your Corsair build and look forward to seeing you resolve the issues with the spinning prop feature.  Great work on the pilot figure too!  Good luck on your move and I hope it goes smoothly and nothing gets broken!

• 6 months later...

I'm back!!  It took much longer than I wanted to get the new workshop space set up, but I finally did.  Great spot in the detached garage, and now that it's less than 1,000,000 degrees in Texas, I can use it! (Plan to put a minisplit AC in before next summer).  First a couple pics of the new work space:

IMG_3002_Original.jpg

IMG_3003_Original.jpg

I've been updating my progress on Instagram, but I will get some of the photos in postable form for on here and let you all know where we are.  Getting close to finished!

Finally some photos of plastic!  Here is the finished engine.  Remember, inside of gear reduction housing is a small DC motor attached to the propeller spindle, so we will have an actual spinning prop on this bird!

IMG-3038.jpg

Did a little scratch building on the canopy, added some framing and a canopy release handle:

IMG-3050.jpg

Did the two layer chipping technique here, using MRP for both the metallic and the ZCY: 

IMG-3095.jpg

IMG-3098.jpg

I am using mostly Mission Models paints for this project, but I felt like the MRP is a little sturdier in response to future chipping layers, so I knew that, even though it's harder to get a good chipping effect with this paint, I had no concern that it would ever chip through to bare plastic, which I have had happen with MM.  

Here's some paint on, and the results of the two-layer chipping. As I said, I'm using Mission Models paint for this project.  It is finicky to work with, compared to "pour it out of the bottle" ease of MRP.  But it's so great to be able to spray at my bench without a vent hood or mask.  I have my spray booth, but don't have the external ventilation hooked up yet (planning to vent it into the attic here in the garage). When you get the thinning dialed in with their thinner and polymix additive, it really does spray nicely.  It's just an added step that's sometimes a pain.  On the upper surfaces, you can see where I did black basing, and used white instead of blue-gray for my marbling coat over the fabric areas.  Then sprayed some lightened blue-gray over those panels as well.  Chipped pretty extensively on the wing root area, especially on the port side.  

This Corsair is part of VMF-213 on Guadalcanal in July of '43.  Although not as dire as things were in late 1942, this was still an austere airfield, and the planes were in a high rate of operational use, so things got dirty and weathered.  Also at this point, the three tone camo was in effect, even though planes using the old two-tone camo were still being used.  I have seen photos of planes - though not this one - touched up with whatever paint was available, so I used some artistic license and sprayed a little intermediate blue in a few high wear areas to indicate repair. I tried to mess with the Tamiya decals for a few seconds, before deciding to spray on the walkway lines and anti-skid.  

IMG_3101.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

3 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Lovely efforts going on here B.  Man, that paint booth set up is awesome.  Is it home made?   What a beast.  Love it.   

Yes, thanks, the paint booth is homemade.  I modified these plans, made it out of 3/4 finished plywood and a bathroom exhaust fan. Note that a lot of noise is always made of the type of fan used in these applications, and potential fire/explosion hazard if paint fumes catch a spark from the fan.  This is not the recommended type of fan, and I have used it for 5+ years with no issue, much of that time spraying MRP.