SpaceX Starship Launch Tomorow

• John1 changed the title to SpaceX Starship Launch Tomorow

Sitting here watching the live streams  and wondering if they really wil be able to fly the beast , I'm old enough to remember watching all the Gemini and Apollo missions along with the Shuttle flights, and with this beast another chapter opens , 

So Light this Candle and lets go and let us finally become a spacefaring species

• 2 weeks later...

Well as a launch vehicle Starship  seems to have been quite an effective excavator  :o

https://www.businessinsider.com/spacex-starship-rocket-crater-concrete-launchpad-upon-liftoff-2023-4?r=US&IR=T

Seriously Elon , NASA spent years building Launch complex 39 in the 60s , they endured 13 Saturn 5 launches 3 Saturn 1Bs and 100+ shuttle missions and surprise surprise none of these launches demolished the pads. 

I'm not an aerospace engineer but launch from the Cape Elon that may there might be a bit of Boca Chica left in place and not scattered across the rest of Texas

Elon Musk is literally a 5 year old child with money. He has (or just rips off) any crazy idea then tries to make it work without really doing much in the way of research beforehand ie; tesla truck/bot, full autonomous driving, hyperloop, solar roof tiles to name a few, It was painfully obvious to anyone who know's anything about rockets that not having any kind of blast deflecting was going to have trouble. Hell even the Germans had rudimentary blast deflection on V2 launchers! Then he puts the fuel storage tanks within shot of the launch pad....but it doesn't surprise me, he was after all, fired from Paypal for incompetence. 

Yep.  He spent $44B for Twitter, currently values it at $20B per SEC filings, but most analysts think it's worth much less, and it's shedding advertisers and users at a steady pace.  As far as I can tell SpaceX succeeds *despite* Elon, not because of him...

55 minutes ago, BradG said:

Hell even the Germans had rudimentary blast deflection on V2 launchers! Then he puts the fuel storage tanks within shot of the launch pad....but it doesn't surprise me, he was after all, fired from Paypal for incompetence. 

Also not too bright to park your vehicle anywhere near ground zero...

58 minutes ago, BradG said:

Elon Musk is literally a 5 year old child with money. He has (or just rips off) any crazy idea then tries to make it work without really doing much in the way of research beforehand ie; tesla truck/bot, full autonomous driving, hyperloop, solar roof tiles to name a few, It was painfully obvious to anyone who know's anything about rockets that not having any kind of blast deflecting was going to have trouble. Hell even the Germans had rudimentary blast deflection on V2 launchers! Then he puts the fuel storage tanks within shot of the launch pad....but it doesn't surprise me, he was after all, fired from Paypal for incompetence. 

But you can’t really blame Musk if you think about it.  He’s the guy with the money and big ideas but he’s not designing and building the hardware himself.  He hires people to do that.  People who are the product of the current state of education in this country and who have little knowledge, interest or sense of what others did before them.  The launch pad is now scrap metal because they were pretty sure they knew how to do it better than the folks with actual knowledge and experience who built the entire Kennedy Space Center complex generations ago.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they do much of their engineering on social media, consulting with the many “experts” who live there.  Note that they destroyed their launch site, several of the thing’s many motors did not fire, and they couldn’t get stage separation, but the giddy purple-haired work force still cheered and insisted the flight was a success, which smacks of years of getting a trophy for sitting on the bench all season during little league baseball.  Whether you like Elon Musk and his weird approach to things or not, he’s moving the ball while just about everyone else is sitting around binging on old TV shows.

The rocket destroyed the launch pad, nearby infrastructure and spread debris over a huge area. Multiple engines failed to fire. The rocket failed to seperate, tumbled and was destroyed.

And the Space X employees were jumping up and down like they'd won the lottery?! You get the feeling that not many people disagree with Elon at Space X...

Musk lies, all the time. His latest idea - point to point interplanetary journeys using the Starship, journey time of an hour to anywhere in the world. Just ludicrous,

Yep, he's an annoying prat, but his team have launched the Falcon over 220 times with a success rate slightly over 99%, at a far lower cost than any other launch method.

He's also kick started the EV industry, (even though Tesla's aren't exactly high quality cars), pioneered E-Payments, pushed VOIP, low latency satellite internet amongst others.

He's had a lot of not so successful ideas (the Boring Company, Hyperloop), and he's a complete twatwaffle, but you have to give him credit for what he's achieved.

14 hours ago, DeanKB said:

The rocket destroyed the launch pad, nearby infrastructure and spread debris over a huge area. Multiple engines failed to fire. The rocket failed to seperate, tumbled and was destroyed.

And the Space X employees were jumping up and down like they'd won the lottery?! You get the feeling that not many people disagree with Elon at Space X...

Musk lies, all the time. His latest idea - point to point interplanetary journeys using the Starship, journey time of an hour to anywhere in the world. Just ludicrous,

I hear the FAA have put a halt to any more attempts until after their investigation.

I guess from a technical POV, they may well have been happy with it,  But not ecstatic.  But have you ever stood up to your CEO and said I don't agree with you?  How did that go for you??

Yes, I agree that musk lies.  He's a corporate CEO, so he has to put a good spin on everything.  You know, just like a politician. :hmmm:  I've seen Yes Minister, so I know how all that stuff works :lol:.

Cheers,

Michael

Just now, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

Yep, he's an annoying prat, but his team have launched the Falcon over 220 times with a success rate slightly over 99%, at a far lower cost than any other launch method.

He's also kick started the EV industry, (even though Tesla's aren't exactly high quality cars), pioneered E-Payments, pushed VOIP, low latency satellite internet amongst others.

He's had a lot of not so successful ideas (the Boring Company, Hyperloop), and he's a complete twatwaffle, but you have to give him credit for what he's achieved.

Even those success' aren't much really. I mean Tesla has never made a profit off just selling cars. SpaceX went from saying they would have a totally reusable rocket, just refuel and go, to only having a reusable booster, after a minimum of 50 days turn around. He never did anything much with regards to e-payments, X.com was an online bank he started with several others people that merged with another company that had the basis of paypal already down. That merged company eventually became paypal, Musk had little if anything to do with their success, he was just lucky enough to retain his shares in what would become paypal and cashed out big time. His setellites aren't very good either, and certainly not cheap.

8 hours ago, BradG said:

Even those success' aren't much really. I mean Tesla has never made a profit off just selling cars. SpaceX went from saying they would have a totally reusable rocket, just refuel and go, to only having a reusable booster, after a minimum of 50 days turn around. He never did anything much with regards to e-payments, X.com was an online bank he started with several others people that merged with another company that had the basis of paypal already down. That merged company eventually became paypal, Musk had little if anything to do with their success, he was just lucky enough to retain his shares in what would become paypal and cashed out big time. His setellites aren't very good either, and certainly not cheap.

Musk's genius is in timing his investments, and structuring his pay around share options.  He utilises largely existing tech, but he goes all-in on his investment, where others have perhaps been too conservative. He also benefits from many people who will blindly follow and invest in anything he does. Tesla is at $164, and that's 100% down to demand, NOT fundamentals. Tesla's are extraordinarily fast & have some clever tech, but the interior is bloody awful in it's fit & finish, and it feels like you are driving an IPad. But if people want to pour their savings into Tesla shares, then good luck to Musk for lapping it all up!!