Border Models Lancaster - it will be my last LSP build

Stokey Pete

Not much to report, other than the bomb bay and load are ready for paint.

I purchased the 1ManArmy stencils set and have just tested it out using some markings i won’t be making use of. It is absolutely insane how fine the detail is in them.

This sample is shown next to a number 11 blade for scale. And it’s zoomed in a whole heap so you can actually see what’s written. 

52763933217_18c5820216_b.jpg

They get a big thumbs up from me for the quality and register of such tiny markings. 

1 hour ago, Stokey Pete said:

Not much to report, other than the bomb bay and load are ready for paint.

I purchased the 1ManArmy stencils set and have just tested it out using some markings i won’t be making use of. It is absolutely insane how fine the detail is in them.

This sample is shown next to a number 11 blade for scale. And it’s zoomed in a whole heap so you can actually see what’s written. 

They get a big thumbs up from me for the quality and register of such tiny markings. 

Really cool - How is it transferring them from the sheet to the model? - I have my eye on this set as well, but I am concerned they will curl up like crazy and I would lose my patience completely :blush:

/Niels

26 minutes ago, Zola25 said:

Really cool - How is it transferring them from the sheet to the model? - I have my eye on this set as well, but I am concerned they will curl up like crazy and I would lose my patience completely :blush:

/Niels

That is a question to revisit when I’ve attempted them on the bombs themselves. 
From this quick and dirty experiment, the detail is so small that it doesn’t get a chance to curl. 
I imagine the larger lettering may need transfer tape. 

The entire bomb bay assembly has had varying shades of metals to generate a bit of variety with the chipping I plan to do. 
Bombs base coated and now awaiting markings. I know it’s not accurate but I’m tempted to mark in yellow rather than black. It’s a shame (to me) to lose the fine detail of the masking set. 

52767215498_479e9c2736_b.jpg

There’s gonna be a whole load of varying shades of green layered onto the surface of the load As well as some mud, oil, grime, etc. 

4 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

The entire bomb bay assembly has had varying shades of metals to generate a bit of variety with the chipping I plan to do. 
Bombs base coated and now awaiting markings. I know it’s not accurate but I’m tempted to mark in yellow rather than black. It’s a shame (to me) to lose the fine detail of the masking set. 

52767215498_479e9c2736_b.jpg

There’s gonna be a whole load of varying shades of green layered onto the surface of the load As well as some mud, oil, grime, etc. 

Spot on Pete: the ordnance did not get a lot of love in terms of paint and there are huge numbers of pictures showing just how scratched up the matte surface of most of the bomb load was on all heavies. Let’s not forget the chalk graffiti that some were treated to either! I am following your build intently as the BorderNuts Lancaster is sat in my (minimal) stash awaiting the day I am as brave as you to attempt it.  I think it was Tom Probert who nailed the chief challenge on this: it is not the assembly but rather the painting and sheeting the right degree of flatness or sheen for the various part of the surfaces to be really convincing at this scale. Hats off to you! 

Kind regards,

Paul

• Stokey Pete changed the title to Border Models Lancaster - Bomb bay and bombs construction

Looking good to me.  What about the Cookie?  

You should note that the outer wings are designed to be removable. 

With mine, I will close up all the engines on the aircraft and build it using the blanks.  

Then I will make up two of the Merlin’s (a Packard and a Rolls Royce) for separate display on the stands displayed.  

Three models out of one kit!

1 hour ago, BarryWilliams said:

Looking good to me.  What about the Cookie?  

You should note that the outer wings are designed to be removable. 

With mine, I will close up all the engines on the aircraft and build it using the blanks.  

Then I will make up two of the Merlin’s (a Packard and a Rolls Royce) for separate display on the stands displayed.  

Three models out of one kit!

I’m not that fussed about loading the Cookie in there. I wanted the belly rammed full of smaller iron rain. 

The wing issue is moot for me now as I’m wall mounting it onto my office wall, between a couple of beautiful Lancaster paintings I have. 

A conundrum I’ve been pondering for a few hours…….how to paint the red incendiary bands around the 500lb’ers.

I had a far out of left field solution.

I took the unused prop’ spinners from the kit, cut holes in the tops and opened them to 7mm and 8mm respectively. 
Placed over the tips of the bombs, the conical shape of the spinner meets the surface snugly. Thus creating the perfect reusable ‘mask’.

52770232185_a4ab0f9f11_b.jpg 52770232340_e07a70e92e_b.jpg

…..the result

52770074934_e2907717b9_b.jpg

A bit of an unusual solution, granted. But reckon it saved me the job of trying to do it with tape. 

17 minutes ago, Stokey Pete said:

A bit of an unusual solution, granted. But reckon it saved me the job of trying to do it with tape. 

Makes me think of a popular parlance amongst trade jobs here in the US: "If it's stupid and it works it's not stupid."

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

10 minutes ago, Dennis7423 said:

Makes me think of a popular parlance amongst trade jobs here in the US: "If it's stupid and it works it's not stupid."

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Pretty much the same mantra can be applied here. I know I’ve used odd solutions many a time during my years as a locksmith. 

How is the saying - What you can´t work out with your head you will have to work out with your hands (or something.. don´t know if that exist in english..) - You took the shortest route possible here and its a great idea. CTRL C / CTRL V :D

/Niels