Blohm & Voss BV-138 "A Study In 3D Printing"-or, what you can get away with...

patricksparks

Here are a couple more small items that I drew up in 3D and printed.

The purchased model files had the louvers on the bottom of the 2 outboard engine nacelles modeled as solid "stair steps" so I ground the panels out and made some new ones the are open through.

nuElHpO.jpgQkIolmU.jpg

Also there are 6 exhaust pipes on the real plane that are not present on the model file, I found some reference photos and drew up some and printed, all the pipes appear to be identical.

If you notice just above my fingers in this photo there is a hole in the lower wing surface, this is where the exhaust pipe lives , there is a hole on both left and right lower wing surfaces, these were for the center engine's exhaust.

The tab on the end of the pipe is so I can put CA glue on it and snake it into the hole and let it adhere to the inside surface of the wing, I did this so that I wouldn't have to open the wing up to attach them, I found that I can put a toothpick into the pipe to hold it while the glue sets.

lI1svlQ.jpg

7Qf2IOu.jpg

This photo is one of the outboard nacelles, the pipes come out the sides, there will be one on both sides of each nacelle.

Nbl1C9r.jpg

I have to make up some spinners, the model file has props in it both the 3 and 4 bladed but they are a bit rudimentary and the spinners are molded withe blades. So I have been looking over photos and came up with a design, started with the center engine's 4 blade propeller, I have my narrow cord blades from the HK Lancaster that need to be cut down in length, but it looks like I might have to do alot of sanding to get the cord narrowed up, my fall back is to by an aftermarket Spitfire 4 blade prop, in photos it looks to be a close match. The outer props are 3 blades and it looks as if the FW 190 D9 prop looks to be a good match.

PK1H7kg.jpgVQQzPTI.jpgbDDVIYY.jpguBJHPMh.jpg

L6TIAHE.jpgbRXiDUq.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Pat

Wow!!  I too have been thinking about entering the #D printing world.  Right now I purchase my parts from a guy, but I make my own digital models.  Question - what is the thinnest gage you can print (well)?  That louvered panel looks quite thin (did you 3D print that?).

amazing, this is the future of scale modelling without doubt. The likes of Tamiya, Airfix, Revell, Trumpeter, ICM, etc, etc will no longer be needed as we will be able to download and print off our own plastic. The first proper model hobby revolution since the move from wood to plastic.  

The BV-138 is simply stunning (and your Lancaster also looks amazing, so good to see it in different colours) - you are very skilled. 

neil

8 hours ago, JayW said:

Wow!!  I too have been thinking about entering the #D printing world.  Right now I purchase my parts from a guy, but I make my own digital models.  Question - what is the thinnest gage you can print (well)?  That louvered panel looks quite thin (did you 3D print that?).

Thank you Jay, your Corsair is looking great !!! I have printed some very small detail, thin down to .010" but warping becomes an issue, the bigger the thin part gets the worse the warping can get and alot depends on the printer and it's resolution and the layering set up that you put on your machine's software. 3D printing has some "Black Magic" involved in it.. I can't really give the best advice on how and why, I just do alot of "poke and hope" and try to read some of the info on the internet I can find ... You should definately jump into it, it can open up alot of options for you for sure. Also there"s alot to learn/self teach about orienting parts on the build plate and adding the print supports to the parts, it's a learning curve, but you can figure it out with trial and errors !!!

Thanks 

Pat

Edited by patricksparks

8 hours ago, airscale said:

just amazing - this is exactly how I see the hobby evolving which opens up all sorts of possibilities for both builders & AM

you are doing an exceptional job Patrick. really blazing a trail and teaching us what is possible :)

Peter

Thank you Peter, your P-40 is looking stellar for sure !!!

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

This is just amazing! I have always loved this aircraft, I have flown commercial and aerial firefighting seaplanes for a living in my career and I am partial to anything that floats!

The level of detail and the ability to now design and print in whatever scale you want is truly taking our hobby to a different level!

Thanks for sharing this with us! 

Will you be offering us a kit at some point? 

Cheers

Alan

15 hours ago, Expat Tomcat said:

What slicer software are you using?

I,ve been using the ANYCUBIC software, it's not great but it works, in fact when I first got the printer it wouldn't work with the provided slicer software, I searched on-line for a solution and I found that if you installed ANYCUBIC's old software it would work, sure enough it does , go figure....

I wanted to use CHITUBOX but it doesn't interface with my machine, I didn't want to pay for the premium version of CHITUBOX which I think will work with my mono x, the free version doesn't as of now, I did use CHITUBOX with my LONGER ORANGE 30 printer and I really like it especially for the auto supports, works really well.

Pat

9 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

This is just amazing! I have always loved this aircraft, I have flown commercial and aerial firefighting seaplanes for a living in my career and I am partial to anything that floats!

The level of detail and the ability to now design and print in whatever scale you want is truly taking our hobby to a different level!

Thanks for sharing this with us! 

Will you be offering us a kit at some point? 

Cheers

Alan

Thank you for the compliments, I won't be making kits, it would require too much investment, I would have to have multiple printers and a large work space and lots of ventilation, heat and A/C in order to process 3D prints.

Thanks again

Pat