ICM Fiat CR.42 CN from 377 squadriliga - completed

In fact, it’s mostly the blue that hurts. :P 
A readily improvement would be to replace the ‘pure’ true blue with a ‘greyed’ variety (greyed meaning adding a bit of contrasting colour like brown to dirty up the blue and make it less vibrant). It would be easier to paint the triangle and the disc with the greyed blue before applying the decal motifs.

HTH

Quang

Fair point Quang, it's definitely the blue.

If I only had any spare decals to cut accordingly and replace the ones already applied :unsure:

My best idea so far: dabble grey and brown oils over the blue regions to make them less vibrant.

A thin transparent black/brown layer like Tamiya Smoke over the decals should do.

Or else Payne’s Grey or Umber oils thinned with Liquin or another type of medium.
As long as it’s thin and transparent because it’s a filter you need.

Edited by quang

Filters it is

Because an acyrcilc filter couldn't be wiped of, I decided to use oils.

I mixed up neutral grey, umber and burnt umber with Liquin medium und some thinner.

mZQhhGK.jpg

And here we have them applied to the fuselage decals. I started with the darker tones and finished with the Grey.

sqd7JNJ.jpg

You can see some beach marks from the oils. They were supposed to diasppear under another flat coat.

Guess what: Everything worked fine except for one part: the flat coatr frosted like hell and I now have to repair that as well :BANGHEAD2:

Hi Joachim,

Looks like you need to know how to work with Liquin. :coolio:
HERE

@03:50 Study the part where the instructor talks about ‘glaze’ (‘filter’ in our hobby).

See how you can increase or lower the transparency of the paint by varying the amount of Liquin.

Two more things:

Don’t mix thinner with Liquin because it would defeat the purpose of Liquin.

Also in our hobby, the Liquin layer is supposed to be the very last coat on the model. So don’t varnish over Liquin.

HTH

Cheers,

Quang

On 9/19/2022 at 10:36 PM, quang said:

Hi Joachim,

Looks like you need to know how to work with Liquin. :coolio:
HERE

@03:50 Study the part where the instructor talks about ‘glaze’ (‘filter’ in our hobby).

See how you can increase or lower the transparency of the paint by varying the amount of Liquin.

Two more things:

Don’t mix thinner with Liquin because it would defeat the purpose of Liquin.

Also in our hobby, the Liquin layer is supposed to be the very last coat on the model. So don’t varnish over Liquin.

HTH

Cheers,

Quang

Oh well, I've been (obviously) using it wrong for quite some time now :hmmm:

Thanks for the help - I'll try again once I have repaired the clear coat!

In order of making oil paint transparent, you can use either Liquin or thinner, but NOT both.

Thinners will degrade paint by separating the pigments ( think microscopic specks of colour) from the binder ( think glue which keeps the pigments togethe). The more you add thinner, the weaker your paint layer will become.

Liquin on the other hand is a medium. The pigments are separated BUT stay together because you’re adding more binder. The resulting layer is stronger (tougher) than the thinned paint.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Fanes changed the title to ICM Fiat CR.42 CN from 377 squadriliga - completed

Black is reputedly the most difficult colour to replicate and also to photograph realistically. You’ve done a very respectable job here! :bow:
Now what’s next? Special Hobby X-15 or HPH Tigercat?:P

Cheers,

Quang