ICM Fiat CR.42 CN from 377 squadriliga - completed

Fanes

21 hours ago, quang said:

Great nuances, Joachim :clap2:

Also keep in mind that the cowling is dead flat compared to the propeller spinner. I read somewhere that the cowling on these nightfighters was covered with soot for an anti-glare effect. That’s why we see pictures of the NC variants with canvas covers over the nose to protect the fragile finish.

That's interesting! I already wondered why the fuselage was looking dead flat in all the pictures.

But before we go into gloss and/or flat, some white had to be applied.

Since I had quite some problems with getting a good opacity without 42 coats - looking at you MRP Insignia White - trying Tamiya`s new(ish) liquid surface primer in white seemed like a good choice.

I wasn't disappointed. It went down super smooth thinned with levelling thinner (around 60%) and I only needed a very thin coat + mottling.

1286522-34859-72-1440.jpg

Same game for the underwing insignia

1286523-34859-40-1440.jpg

Everything was then blended in with Gunze's Off White and here we go:

1286525-34859-54-1440.jpg

and so much better than any decal (even though it's slightly skew)

1286524-34859-99-1440.jpg

Next up: the numers on the fuselage's sides, but I will give the white a full day to cure to not lift any paint with the masks.

On 8/19/2022 at 8:38 AM, quang said:

Looking real good, especially the very neat insignia. :clap2:
When you apply the final finishing touch, it would be a good idea to tint your varnish with a bit of colour (blue/red?) for some extra nuances.

Fantastic idea - I will keep this in mind!

On 8/19/2022 at 10:25 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

Off white over white - brilliant idea!

Kev

Hehe thanks Kev.

That was more born out of trouble with getting a decent finish without loads of paint, rather than out of a genius' mind.

Plus the pure Off White looks way too green to my eye.

53 minutes ago, Fanes said:

I should really mix my own Off White for the next build ;)

All Off Whites are not created equal. The latest I bought was from AK Real Color. It was a pale slime green! :wacko:

With a little bit of fiddling and moving the mask around a dozen times to get a somewhat horizontal appearance,

the markings were sprayed on with a dark black tone and RLM23 red:

1290045-34859-66-720.jpg

Of course the macro photo shows a little mishap on the fuselage band. Will have to repair that before applying the gloss coat.

Which is okay since the air around here is quite dry and dusty and the black Falco seems to be a dust magnet.

In the meantime I paid some attention to the prop.

The gloss black base was followed by Alclad Aluminum, hairspray and then a mixture of Tamiya Nato Black and semi gloss black with some mottle.

1290043-34859-44-1440.jpg

The back of the blades was chipped mostly on the leading edge and the tips, although I'm not a 100% happy.
It might be a tad too heavy.

1290044-34859-80-1440.jpg