Bf110G-4 (early)

mozart

1 hour ago, mozart said:

Hmmm, bit of a conundrum that Ade, though if the kit is a D/E kit why isn't there an E cockpit layout?  I can probably help you with some bits actually, I used the E2 Trop for my G4 (late) so could have some bits for you.....can you do a list of what you need?

Not much progress today, busy outside in the sunshine but "sub-assemblies of sub-assemblies":

I’ll check the kit when I’m back home tomorrow Max. Had a quick look at the instructions for the E-2 Trop kit online and as far as I can tell it’s just that etch part for the rear seat that’s needed to make it a correct E layout, plus removing the stand part for for the bucket seat on the cockpit floor. The E switched to a 2 seat layout rather than the 3 in the D. I don’t recall seeing the etch bench/mesh seat in my Nachtjager kit. Still not sure which to go for though. I like the array on the nose of the D but the Shark Mouth scheme of the E is appealing. This one could well come down to a coin toss.

The Dragon D/E kit doesn't provide any cockpit differences on the sprues - still comes with the 3 seat layout. You'll have to remove the rear seat support and fabricate your own double seat.
Dragon only provides the external differences between the variants

13 hours ago, mozart said:

Pretty sure I’ve got the etch part Ade if that helps, plus lots of other spares! 

As far as I can tell Max all I’d need is that etch weave/basket seat thing to have a correct E Cockpit seating set up. From what I recall of Pastor Johns Conversion sets he offered a resin version of said seat, I sold my set on (I think to you actually) so cant verify but either way i am in no rush as my 110 is some way down the build pile so happy to wait for you to finish and if you don’t in the end need that etch piece I’ll take it off your hands. Of course, hopefully Reskit will survive the current situation and eventually release some wheels appropriate for the C/D versions to compliment the E/F/G Versions I already have.

Hoping to get some good bench time in today, but a couple of random bits......got the crew sorted!  I bought these on my last visit to Telford in 2018, ZM Luftwaffe figures, so from the left: pilot, radar op., gunner:

rJrCIH.jpg

and whilst browsing, a rather useful detail of an engine nacelle, panels and flame damper:

QuN2UC.jpg

Despite this being my third Dragon Bf110 build, I had forgotten just how many "bits" there are to snip off and clean up......two very small examples on the undercarriage:

UGtm7B.jpg

I'm always relieved when this section is completed, I made a bit of a dog's dinner on my first build, though in my defence the instructions have got the part numbers of the ribs completely ass about face:

e74PfP.jpg

A spot of RLM02 shortly I think. :D

Lovely work Max!   I too have this conversion and really want to get to it.   I have a terrible habit of getting singularly focused on one thing (in this case prepping for an overlanding trip with the wife) and I have trouble splitting my time between modeling and something else like camping/overlanding setup. Need to get off my duff and get to the bench to finish at least my current project off.

Looking forward to seeing this one come together so I can use it as a benchmark for when I start mine!   

Cheers,

Thanks Brian.  My mojo, as I said previously, had gone AWOL for quite a while till Andy and I decided to do a "tandem" Bf110 build.  I don't know what the appeal of Bf110s is to me but I've definitely made more models of them in all the major scales than any other.  I guess for me the plane has character and beauty, and each one is subtly different.

I know what you mean though about the conflicting "pressure" of differing jobs, sadly too often indecision about which to prioritise means none gets progressed!

That said, off to load the airbrush with RLM02! :frantic:

Edited by mozart

A little mystery!!  The base kit for my conversion is the E-2 Trop, but I'm turning it into a G-4 via the AIMS G-2 conversion.  So I was just checking that I'd addressed all the issues with the wings before gluing the top and bottom halves together including drilling the holes for the drop tanks.  The leading edge of the port wing houses a landing light and the engine supercharger intake:

TKJKcv.png

RZGjjW.png

The tropical version of course has a filter in front of this intake, but I was surprised and puzzled to find this part in the G2 conversion:

L2lg52.jpg

It fits pretty well but is clearly wrong:

RbvTz0.jpg

However I decided to use it as the basis for botching up something like what should be there, so a little work with a razor saw and knife:

0oKGlK.jpg

The PE on the cutting mat is part of the conversion sheet (PE62), I've been through the instructions several times but can find no mention of PE62 nor indeed of fitting the intake so I can only assume this is an omission on Pastor John's behalf?  Anyway, the plan is to fit the PE into the slot in the hopes of producing a reasonable looking intake.  Watch this space! 

Nice clean progress on the lower wings Max and yes I'm unsure on why that would be in the conversion. I'm sure John had something in mind and just crept in to your boxing somehow? 

Regards. Andy

P.S excellent shot of that flame damper!

Hi Max

Just a heads up on the engine cowling. On the G-4 I built the cowlings were scratch build. Using photos, upscaling the Revell 1/48 and the Cutting Edge  cowlings as well as looking at the 1/32 Me 109 G cowling they all gave a length 3mm longer than the Dragon part on which I think the conversion is based. It is not a big deal and I think not all that noticeable, just something I found on my build. I had no idea I was going to do a 1/32 kit when visiting Hendon in 2004, so measuring it was the last thing on my mind. 

Cheers

Nick