RA-5C Vigilante - scratchprinted

Starfighter

Looking good Ben, cockpits are always such a hit but rarely the hard part…not that it doesn’t look great.  It’s the mundane stuff that actually sets a model apart.

Happy belated by the way, hope you added to your stash or got play with a fast car.

Since this bird is on my list of scratch project…you have saved me so much time since I can clearly just use your model….(teehee)

I’ve enjoyed myself immensely lurking on this thread, thanks!

Timmy!

First post here….came to view the XB-70 build and got sidetracked into this amazing Vigilante build. If I remember correctly the first plane I ever put glue to in anger was a Vigilante kit in the late 70s. Such a good looking aircraft. Profile is perfect. OP(Starfighter) amazing work. The questions will be do we buy the stl files from you or send you resin plus labor fees? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody, it's been a while - sorry for replying so late! I actually had the dubious pleasure of getting Covid after the show (probably even caught it there, luckily none of my buddies were affected...) and did not do any digital modelling since. Working on a computer somehow was too much for my brain... but it's getting better. On the other hand, I have spent some 110 hours at my workbench during my 9 days of confinement which enabled me to make some serious progress on anotehr project... but more on that later. 

I first have to catch up a lot of work in the office, once that's done and dusted I'll get back to the Vigi. The new wings will require quite a bit of work but that should be no problem. 

Mattcour, the canopies will 3D printed using clear resin. 

Engage, there are no plans to sell the STLs (which is totally out of question) nor to print and sell the parts. 120 hours printing time rfor the fuselage parts alone...  If you buy me two new printers, say a Sonic Mighty 8 K for the large parts and a Mini 8K for the small parts, I may change my mind though... :coolio: :D

9 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Mattcour, the canopies will 3D printed using clear resin. 

How exactly does that work? Is the 3D printer able to print the parts cleanly without the normal print lines that we see on other bits? Or do they need the requisite sanding and polishing to be truly clear? Hope you're feeling better so you can knock out your current projects

Matt 

5 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

How exactly does that work? Is the 3D printer able to print the parts cleanly without the normal print lines that we see on other bits? Or do they need the requisite sanding and polishing to be truly clear? Hope you're feeling better so you can knock out your current projects

Matt 

The 'lines' are on the surface. The resin below the surface, with a decent cure, will be solid, so once you have polished  these off, yes, you can get it smooth and clear.

Edited by wunwinglow

On 4/14/2022 at 3:35 PM, wunwinglow said:

The 'lines' are on the surface. The resin below the surface, with a decent cure, will be solid, so once you have polished  these off, yes, you can get it smooth and clear.

Excellent, thank you. That's what I figured the answer was, but figured it was smarter to ask.  Most of these 3D printing stuff is magic to me, and builds like this one help reveal the world behind the curtain

Matt