Tamiya F-15E

Hey all, I think this one qualifies for the Shelf of Doom build. It’s been sat around in this state for the better part of a year. I kept meaning to get it done but ended up sidetracked with others. Namely a mirage, a harrier, and a flanker. 
So, I have at my disposal…..

Kit + Kopecky missile pylons, Zactomodels AIM-9X and AIM-120’s. Reskit JDAMS, Mk1A exhausts (which are astonishing), and some TwoBobs ‘Maximum effort’ decals.

Here is the current state of play…

51718450283_02bd8f568d_b.jpg

It’s gonna be my usual, speedier, wheels up build.

51719065275_c22257ac6d_b.jpg

Wings joined to individual top and bottom halves to improve the joints. No step to fill, just a small seam. 

51718852004_c4b78ed9f0_b.jpg

All the stuff to help it go to war.

You’ll notice that I also cut the intake trunkings in a similar way to GT Resins seamless set. It’s made the creation of a seamless set, much more straightforward.

51718851939_e22b5754b1_b.jpg

My daughter has a small obsession with Toy Story, so naturally, to dedicate the build to her, it’s only proper that it be adorned with Sheriff Woody and Bullseye. 

Going to definitely watch this build with interest. Nice work so far. 

Those burner cans are astonishing. 3D printed I'm guessing? Very eager to see them under a lick of paint. Do you have a link for them please? 

Good luck with your project. :speak_cool: 

13 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Going to definitely watch this build with interest. Nice work so far. 

Those burner cans are astonishing. 3D printed I'm guessing? Very eager to see them under a lick of paint. Do you have a link for them please? 

Good luck with your project. :speak_cool: 

Guy, here’s a link to Hannants 
Sit down before you see the price. I was lucky and got them as part of a package that I bought from a fellow LSP member. I can’t tell if it’s 3D print or resin. 
either way, they’re incredible. 
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MA-32015?result-token=CHqJu

Edited by Stokey Pete

20 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

Guy, here’s a link to Hannants 
Sit down before you see the price.

:o

*gurgle* 

Ahem,......yes,.....that may be a trifle rich for my blood, beautiful though they are :blink:

Thanks for the link though Pete :thumbsup:

Nice find MARU:thumbsup: That's a bit more palatable and i'd go for a set of those at that price since not much can be seen up the jet pipe once they're installed. 

Interestingly, i clicked on your link again to see the difference between sets Pete and the price is a little lower now. Down from the £71 (originally £77) to £60 (originally £67):hmmm:

For even less they offer a closed nozzle set. Closed nozzles

Edited by geedubelyer

I got the intakes installed and fuselage halves sewn up. 
That goes to on side for now while I tackle the nose section. I’m pretty much going for a ‘let’s get it done approach’,  not going to be doing a whole heap of work to it beyond what is required to get it finished. 

Some cockpit and ip progress

51723374353_f6d846e07c_b.jpg

I’m always on the lookout for finding ways to build with less seam cleanup. Previous experience has shown me grief around the nose/fuselage joint. So, with that in mind, I’ve cut a few locating tabs etc, to build the nose section like this…

51723777744_da38839ecc_b.jpg

and lastly, I thought I’d put a close up of the exhaust section. You can see the minute level of detail that’s been moulded. Incredible. Picking it outs gonna be interesting. 

51723777709_8da1372b80_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Lee White said:

Damn, that looks real. Only the thumbprint gives it away.

:D

That's a good nickname for it Lee. 

The macro shows the main downside to 3D printing at this stage and that is the layering. From your close up Pete it looks like the clean-up is going to require patience, dexterity and finesse. How strong is the print? Do you think you'll be able to sand those actuator arms smooth without issue?

I am eager to see how the finished result looks as these could be a much simpler way of getting great looking cans compared to the Flightpath etch.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

:D

That's a good nickname for it Lee. 

The macro shows the main downside to 3D printing at this stage and that is the layering. From your close up Pete it looks like the clean-up is going to require patience, dexterity and finesse. How strong is the print? Do you think you'll be able to sand those actuator arms smooth without issue?

I am eager to see how the finished result looks as these could be a much simpler way of getting great looking cans compared to the Flightpath etch.

Cheers.

To the Mk1 eyeball, they’re as smooth as silk. It’s my ring light and macro on the lens which really exaggerates the layers. The outer ring will maybe just need a good filler/primer to smooth it out, and to fill the sprue joint.