mozart

I'm a hair's breadth away from finishing Tiger Moth G-ANFM, just fiddly bits remaining.....which frustratingly always seem to take an inordinate amount of time to complete!  First up the fuel line and cranks situated by the port cabane struts:

zO84Nn.jpg

Hardly visible I know but there nonetheless.  The AIMS fret usefully includes the crank mechanism.  On the underside:

ByxcrE.jpg

The lateral wires are still to be added, as are the two pipes at the other end of the pitot tube run on the starboard wing.  Then it's really just the control wires from rudder and elevators and a couple of little touch ups.

The pilot of the Tiger Moth has just turned up after hearing that it's almost ready, she's Ffiona Fforde-Symthe (known as Fizzy to her friends cos she's a bit of a gal!).  She's just been accepted in the ATA so she's itching to get some more flying hours in:

Gb3M15.jpg

• 6 months later...

It's been a while (time flies when you get old!) so here finally are a couple of shots of the finished Tiger Moth:

nQM388.jpg

CY3Q1V.jpg

PE0oeq.jpg

xgNTOS.jpg

GlJ5Gm.jpg

jsKLDP.jpg

As some of you may have noticed, Kev is going to "distill" this thread into an ebook in his "How to build..." series.  I said at the beginning of this build:

“ICM have done research that should ease construction, epitomised in this kit with the one-piece lower wing which attempts to address the Achilles heel of the lower wing dihedral which didn't quite tick the box in the other Tiger Moth kits.”

Well sadly the Achilles heel still exists I think, due to the thinness of the plastic which results in a lack of rigidity at the lower wing join. The ICM kit builds into a lovely Tiger Moth of that there’s no doubt but to the discerning eye the lower wing dihedral is too flat.  The Silver Wings kit remains the favourite but boy is it tricky to build! (Must get mine finished!) :D

Edited by mozart

Your model looks superb Max (to me, the outdoor shots show just how realistic it looks). Also, double congratulations on not only the completion of a superb model, but also having the journey published via KLP!

Best regards

Derek

1 hour ago, quang said:

Congrats Max :clap2:

I always wanted to do the yellow Tiger Moth in Tintin’s The Black Island. I know I have the ICM kit somewhere in my stash. Guess it’s the right time to do some unearthing. :P
Cheers,

Quang

Do it Quang! I think I still have the first Tintin masks in my files if they’re the same type…..if not……..:P

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

Your model looks superb Max (to me, the outdoor shots show just how realistic it looks). Also, double congratulations on not only the completion of a superb model, but also having the journey published via KLP!

Best regards

Derek

Cheers Derek, she scrubbed up quite nicely in the Dorset sunshine. Think I need to do a different “platform” though. :unsure:

18 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Excellent, I'll just go stick mine back on the shelf of doom ... :goodjob:

Don’t do that Mike, you’d make a great Tiger Moth with your experience, knowledge and the beautiful one at Shuttleworth for reference. Get on it! :D

8 minutes ago, Shoggz said:

Brilliant stuff Max.

I have my rescheduled Tiger Moth flight at Duxford this coming weekend and I swear I could take off in yours!

Ohhh, lucky you Rich…..check the mags, swing that prop and chocks away! Pics are essential! B)