Westland Lysander Mk. III SD Matchbox-Revell 1/32

mc65

thank you all...
I'm actually wasting time waiting for the courage to work on the wing!

also, thanks to a friend that closely observed the MA*J pictures, now I'm aware that also the letters "MA" wew on the fuselage. so I had to rethink all the paint workflow.

let's start from the known fact that these planes arrived at the squadron all black painted, and that only later were these camouflaged in the lateral and upper areas. from the only two available photos I understand that the codes in the fuselage were left surrounded by black, rather than going to paint around them with camouflage colors. ergo, the first thing to do is to understand exactly where these are located in the fuselage, in order to trace with certainty the black border beyond the areas of their relevance. and so far it was an easy task.

IMG-2694.jpg

having understood this, I would proceed like this: I'll give a black base coat to the whole affected area, and then I paint letters, numbers and roundel with masks. having done this, I protect the insignia and proceed with the colors of the camouflage. this should give me the opportunity to work peacefully on the signs without fear of damaging the completed camo, and above all avoid to place the signs in the wrong spot as too often happens to me. 

sounds reasonable?

talking about painting, as I advance I give the - few - metal parts of the plane an aluminum color, in order to leave my hands free for any subsequent scratches.

meanwhile I was doing all these great arguments, and at the same time spasmodically trying not to face the wing, I made a series of side cuties that I had in the menu, stuff pilfered from historical photos, just to keep my hands busy... I go to illustrate: the shortened spinner equipped with an ugly reinforcement ring. to finish or trash, I haven't decided yet.

IMG-2690.jpg

little frame. usually in these there are removable cards with the correction values of the magnetic compass, but given the position I do not exclude they were codes relating to the morse identifier, which changed from mission to mission.

IMG-2691.jpg

holder for...thermos?? you guess. but from the photos of some SD, and of MA * J in particular, you can see these artifacts. moreover, in the aforementioned book, the author speaks specifically of comfort items in the rear passenger compartment, particularly hot drinks. oh, I made it equal to the photos. for me these are handcrafted clusters designed to house cylindrical objects. i.e. tea and coffee. sooo British.

that ugly file mark on the struct has already been eliminated.

IMG-2692.jpg

ditto for the steps on the spats. some aircrafts had these, others didn't. it seems to me that there were in mine, so here these are.

IMG-2696.jpg

cowling. here multiple interventions. in some photos you can see some nice dents, and a mysterious tube that comes out in that position. I honestly do not understand its use, it would seem an oil breather, but usually these have a diameter of a few mm, in the order of 5, while this from the photos I would say is something that goes for 25. oh well, I made dents and big tube, whatever it is.

IMG-2686.jpg

still in the cowling area, from a technical drawing and a couple of photos of the cowl removed, it seems that there were two other closures in this position. to be refined, hoping to have got it right.

IMG-2688.jpg

and finally (hopefully!) this area, what I imagine was the prop pitch command. also this to be finished and painted.

IMG-2689.jpg

the tailwheel has won a series of PE bolt heads, and once painted I will have to finish the outer part of the shaft, now held in place by cladding sections of electrical cable, but which will have to have another final shape.

IMG-2698.jpg

the tail planes received further details at the ends and some tweaks to the riveting. I also used them for color tests, as you can see.

IMG-2697.jpg

and nothing, in the end I had to surrender to the evidence that the wing alone is not made...

so I traced the position of the ribs, then the intervals thanks to Rosie the riveter, and I left to lay a zillion of drops of black attak, which will then be covered with strips of adhesive aluminum, as already done for the movable surfaces of the tailplanes.

IMG-2728.jpg

now I just have to wait for my eyes to stop bleeding to move on to the upper surfaces.

cheers, Paolo

thank you all!

here I am ... I am not dead, even if -modelistically speaking- I came close!:blink:

I have laid all the holy rivets. from a rough estimate and by deficiency these are no less than 3200. plus any inevitable corrections here and there. phew.

IMG-2778.jpg

here during the installation of the aluminum strips. was it worth it? big BOH. we'll find out when painting is finished, I guess.

IMG-2780.jpg

in the meantime I have reproduced the ventral tank's gas caps, a half fancy thing at the end (I was inspired by some Boeing caps).

IMG-2802.jpg

and eventually I started playing with colors that should be definitive, starting with underneath surfaces.

IMG-2817.jpg

I already understood that I will be a nice mess, this all black ...

IMG-2818.jpg

and that's all, for the moment. next session, insignia, I hope.

cheers, Paolo

Edited by mc65

thank, pals!

now I'm entering an area in wich usually I very often make big mess, crossed fingers!

I got in a good mood trying to tackle the insignia discourse, coming to the conclusion that I had to ask for help, at least as far as nose art is concerned.
so I called my friend from the train modeling dept who has already got me out of troubles in a number of occasions (thanks Danilo!) and I begged him on my knees over chickpeas to resolve the question, which he said -in his infinite availability- willing to do.
then while we were on the subject of self-produced decals, we also set up the "W/T" stencils, of which these blessed English planes were sprinkled, and the serial number.

so I was left with the easy part: squadron and individual letters, and roundels.
a few half hours of apnea, and here we are.
I decided to rivet the vertical stabilizer after painting it, we'll see if it was a good idea.

IMG-2937.jpg

following the instructions of britmodeler's cousins, I added a part of hull red to the pure red. they say 25%, I think I put even less, yet the result was this, compared to an original Matchbox decal from 1978. contemporary Revell is best ignored.

IMG-2941.jpg 

so i tried to adjust it, but without great results. after a certain number of attempts with the red, I got bored and I also sprayed the blue, in anticipation of the possibility of having to do it all over again.
this too has been tamed with a hint of black, but remains quite psychedelic.

IMG-2944.jpg

aaaaaaand....

it is very far from being good, between a thousand thousand touches to be done and the blue to be sedated, but I would have decided to like it.

IMG-2945.jpg

since I had the airbrush loaded, I gave some red (pure) to the fuel caps and made a few scratches in the area.

IMG-2946.jpg

as usual, you will not see anything of these.

IMG-2948.jpg

so I just have to wait for the autarchic decals, and in the meantime start thinking about the upper camo and the strategy to put together fuselage, legs and wing. where is the emoji with the fingers crossed?:huh:

cheers, Paolo

• 2 weeks later...

hi all, little upgrading downgrading on this wip:

what has happened in the mc-workshop since the last session, let's see ... I started thinking with the colors of the camo. to do this, I drew the demarcation lines starting from the only documented side of MA ° J and from various historical photos of other aircrafts. a little iguess work, in short. on this occasion I discovered that I had done a not-so-good-choice of mine, gluing the wings to the central support.

IMG-3116.jpg

apart from the XXL dimensions of the complex, very uncomfortable to handle, I bitterly discovered how much the aforementioned support is made of transparent plastic (of dubious quality, moreover).

it was extremely fragile, up to breaking three times. the first two I reinforced it with segments of guitar string inserted in grooves painstakingly excavated in the material, the third I gave up and I shaved everything to zero.

IMG-3117.jpg

also because, let's face it, that structure was made with circular section tubes, not square as proposed by the kit. here a test, not definitive, of two steel spars lined with aluminum tube for the front and heat-shrink sheath for the rear.

IMG-3139.jpg

but I'm still thinking about it.

meanwhile the different dimensions and therefore the height between the two forced me to intervene on the fuselage structure already installed and painted, a nightmare.

IMG-3143.JPG

then I'm thinking that for greater bonding strength I will use two-component glue for the steel part which will support the (considerable) weight of the wing and flex-i-file for the visible part, if I can coat the steel with pipes of adequate size styrene.

IMG-3138.jpg

you may think that in the face of so much breaking of structures and nerves, I will have reassured myself with some relaxing and satisfying work...

of course: painting the cockades on the wing, I discovered how much the paint does not stick at all to the aluminum strips.

IMG-3158.jpg

a trifle is enough to bring them back to virgin. okay, for the upper wing I will use the decals, I get it. and to delimit the camo? let's try with the patafix? here it is. we assume that there are a few tolerable retouches... the fact remains that the trend of the colors does not satisfy me at all.

to be retouched soon.

IMG-3175.jpg

ditto on the other surfaces, where at least there are no - or limited - aluminum strips.

IMG-3168.jpg

the idea was to make the edges almost clear, with curves compatible with each other ... not always (almost never, in fact) I have succeeded.

IMG-3171.jpg

and then in the next few days retouching, I imagine with cardboard templates point by point, and reconstruction in various sessions of gluing the central support of the wing.

IMG-3162.jpg

as if that were not enough I smashed the display of the smartphone with which I take the pictures, and having replaced it with a non-original one, I do not see the colors of the images correctly until I transfer them to the computer, with obvious consequences on the already poor quality of my photos.

IMG-3160.jpg

Oh well.

I-can-do.

probably.

cheers, Paolo