ICM AH-1G 68-15012 "#1 Du Me Mi" - F Troop, 4th Cav, Phu Bai, 1972 (mostly) Finished!

Out2gtcha

I also finished up the main rotor and got it glued together, blended and finished weathering it. Not too bad me thinks on that front....

IMG_20211117_194021906-X3.jpg

IMG_20211117_194029943-X3.jpg

IMG_20211117_194036393-X3.jpg

I couldn't resist a quick test fit on the air frame. Looks pretty sweet IMHO!

More work to do, but we are heading toward wrapping this one up with the exception of the final weapons to be added, the XM-158s that Mikkel is working on.

The main blade is quite large once glued up, and Im very glad I made it 100% removable for transport:

IMG_20211117_194146838-X3.jpg

IMG_20211117_194214595-X3.jpg

IMG_20211117_194224328-X3.jpg

Next up are attaching the XM-157s, the mini gun and grenade launcher. Then its on to finishing the opening mechanisms for the canopy parts that will be posed open. Lastly it I will be finishing the rest of the parts that I broke on the interior, then finally placing/hanging the helmets. 

Cheers, and thanks for looking in on me! 

Thanks gents. I guess we are almost always our own harshest critic.

It's hard to get a good pic of how crappy the clear parts currently still are, but they are definitely much better than they were.

I'm hoping to finish most of this up this weekend, as I've got some time off between now and the end of next week, and should be able to finish up the cockpit work and the XM-157s. 

1 hour ago, Hawkwrench said:

It's a shame that judges look at a non polished or dipped canopy as a dingy at a contest when in real life, they are dirty, fogged up, scratched, etc.

Tim

That’s the truth. I was just debating leaving the mucked up tinting on my Prowler so it would mimic when the gold coating flaked off. But no, everyone would think I messed it up. Couldn’t bring myself to do it.

Bottom line is Brian’s canopies are better than most stuff I ever produce…

Thanks boys, it does give me hope that it's worth pushing through and finishing things up, and that the canopy won't detract too much from the other good things about the build, especially the 3D printed XM-158s being made by Mikkel. 

I'm working on attaching all the weaponry, and giving the Cobra some fangs. I'm also attaching the finished helmets as well. 

Pics later.

Cheers!

Great recovery, she's looking good.  Those helmets are amazing.   Regarding Future - ever since I started using Novus plastic polish (and their related scratch remover when needed), I've never gone back to Future.   I just found it to be too temperamental and the Novus product results in an equally clear and more durable finish.  

Thanks gents!

John,

I agree that the Novus stuff works REALLY well, and pretty much has saved this builds bacon.  I still do often Future as on some builds I like using ultra thin CA to attach windscreens and if you can get a good dip, the Future really makes it easy to use CA without fear of fumes clouding things 

Getting close now boys!

IMG_20211120_174246268-X3.jpg

IMG_20211120_174301127_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20211120_174314505_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20211120_174331624_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20211120_174356076_HDR-X3.jpg

The basic finish line is not too far off now. Ill be putting the rest of the model together, then putting it aside for a bit until Mikkel can have a chance to finish the XM-158s and I can then add those and take some RFI shots.

Cheers and thanks for looking in on me!