1:32 F-16XL

Dandiego

Sooooooooooooooooooo....................................

Here is the overall shape in cardboard. Gets me excited. 

ThSUTGH.jpg

I am trying to design this in Fusion 360 but it is frustrating. If I was to make this in plastic sheet I would be done by now. However if I am to realize some of my modeling goals I will need to master CAD design. Sigh.

Dan

Some printing on the wings.

First a test print to see if I know what I am doing. The jury is still out.

PXGyxR2.jpg

Prints will be limited to my skill level in designing the parts and the size of the printer.

VKuInBZ.jpg

7FGBtoj.jpg

3NXKOWa.jpg

And the "wing hump".

qbAanHQ.jpg

Still need to design and print the outermost wing panel and the control surfaces. Should be fun.

Dan

Ok I have finished designing and printing the various parts of the wing.

CziSZzT.jpg

Several issues present themselves. The 3 most troublesome are getting everything lined up, overall strength of wing and how to get a strong and stable attachment to the fuselage.

After pondering these issues I believe that I can solve the first 2 by gluing a plastic blank over the assembled wing. This will add strength to the whole unit and solve the issue of getting 3 separate 3d printed parts lined up correctly.

I am quite certain it would have been easier to just build the wing out of plastic sheet but the experience of designing and printing will pay dividends in the future.

I am solving problems as I go. Stay tuned, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Spent most of today working on the wings. 

What you see here is the top of the wings. I glued all of the 3d printed parts together and then skinned the top surface with plastic sheet. This ties all of the 3d parts together and gives me a much better upper wing surface to work on.

tCwHEbb.jpg

Still lots of work to do. Will need to come up with a solid method to attach the wings to the fuselage.

Also I have modified the Minicraft wing tanks. I have shortened them and added a new aft end.

FC2pTq3.jpg

Hopefully wings go on tomorrow.

Dan

So the wings are on.

I used two pieces of stiff wire that went from one wing through the fuselage into the other. Then glued everything together making sure that the wings were level. This is the last large construction hurdle. As I have suspected there will be just the slightest smear of Bondo to blend everything together.

VkrIIUo.jpg

DexrwYA.jpg

0pcnfJw.jpg

Dan

"Does anyone know what time it is?"

It's Bondo Time!

So, after letting the wing set up over night it is now Bondo time. The Bondo will allow me to blend the wing and fuselage together. It isn't pretty but it is a necessary step.

gxy1hen.jpg

cLl3Zj4.jpg

I have dry fitted the control surfaces.

9lAdgv5.jpg

And a small improvement to the exhaust nozzle. The kit supplied nozzle was ok but the detail was rather soft. So I used the nozzle from the Revell F-15. With a little sanding to shorten it, it seems to do the job.

X0mxoQ8.jpg

Lots o sanding to follow.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Working on basic prep work before scribing and rivets. Still another coat of primer to detect any flaws. Any remaining raised panel lines have been sanded off.

tnPUeTv.jpg

VO58ljD.jpg

I have added a wing fence and a fairing up against the fuselage.

P7Y40H0.jpg

Wing tanks with some F-4 Phantom pylons.

bBCKGd0.jpg

Bombs.

bgjeiLU.jpg

That's all, Dan

Edited by Dandiego