MH-60T Jayhawk water rescue

4 hours ago, Timmy! said:

Is the box watertight/waterproof?  If so fill it with water and measure the water.  Or was that what you meant about measuring?  Maybe I’m just all wet…again. 

I think it’s gonna be a “one and done” box..so rather than water, thought I’d fill it with dry rice to approximate the volume. I usually have some around for when someone (kids) drops their cell phone in the growler.

8 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Marvelous.  So where’s the helo?

Just launched from Elizabeth City..enroute!

Actually..waiting on Floyd Werners USCG MH-60T conversion to be released in a few months for the HH-60H. No sense getting started on the airframe until I have it and can get my head around it. 

P

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

Totally OT but why would the raft be black?   One would think they would go with something a bit brighter to allow it to be seen easier by the SAR folks.   I guess the same question regarding the standard USCG flight helmet.   Out of all the possible colors, the Coasties went with dark blue!   

Anyway, I'll return you now to this fantastic build.

38 minutes ago, John1 said:

Totally OT but why would the raft be black?   One would think they would go with something a bit brighter to allow it to be seen easier by the SAR folks.   I guess the same question regarding the standard USCG flight helmet.   Out of all the possible colors, the Coasties went with dark blue!   

I think the CG blue is cool looking although I have seen some aircrews were the standard Army color as well.

Tim

2 hours ago, John1 said:

Good question John.

Here’s what I know..

Unlike civilian rafts, life vests, and life boats that are typically hi-vis, military survival equipment used by combat pilots must have an element of stealth to better conceal the pilot from the bad guys who are also looking for him. The survival raft and the parachute both have orange panels that can be used at the pilots discretion to help them be located by SAR forces, or they can be ditched/buried/abandoned.

The pilots also have day/night flares, rescue beacons, and water dye markers to highlight their position to friendly SAR teams…among other tricks…

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann