Revell 1/32nd F/A-18E Super Hornet

tomprobert

Still plodding along with this one...

I've made a start at repairing the damage done to the surface by the filling and sanding process, but wanting to see some physical progress I decided to add the flight control surfaces to the model. Flaps and slats are now attached. 

The leading edge slats didn't fit too well and the inboard slats especially needed a fair bit of trimming to sit in their correct positions. The flaps hinges are a bit of a fiddle, but once in position hold the flaps fine - the inboard flaps are not glued at this stage so I can remove them when it's time for paint and decals to make the whole process easier:

DSC_0326

DSC_0323

DSC_0321

DSC_0319

And the underside:

DSC_0327

The stabilisers are also built, but they wouldn't hold in position for the pictures - I think they are going to have to be pinned in place when the time comes to attach them permanently. 

Despite the chore it's been to get this far, I am actually quite enjoying it and so far, enthusiasm remains :rolleyes:

@StarfighterI took on board your comments about the spine fix, but I think to get it looking correct I'm likely to sand through the plastic so have decided to leave it as is...

All the best,

Tom

• 1 year later...

Afternoon all,

A long overdue update on the Hornet - I think I’ve won the battle!

No more in-progress pictures but there’s been lots going on since I last updated this. I’ve finished the main building and rescribed all areas where sanding and filling took place. Gear has been assembled and fitted - this was tricky but perseverance is the key here. Once installed properly it’s actually plenty strong enough but it took a long time to get there!

Cockpit has been installed and completed - I broke the windscreen as it was a very tight fit and had to wait for a replacement. Kudos to Revell for their customer service!

Next was paint - all went well until I it came to removing the masking from the black spine - the paint came away bringing lots of the upper grey with it, despite priming etc. The whole lot had to come off and a repaint commenced - it nearly went into the bin at this point but I thought I’d got so far…

Decals were one of the kit’s strong points and were superb - really lovely and settled well with some Microsol. I’ve given it a quick coat of matt varnish this morning and it’s dulled everything down nicely. Here’s a few quick camera phone pics…

52292341954_b6bed2bf63_b.jpg

52292079393_d3b6007359_b.jpg

52291098387_4cb57bf1a7_b.jpg

I’m currently working in the pylons and weapons, and finishing off the wheels, etc. Then it’ll be the final aerials and a bit more weathering and she’ll be done!

Regards to all, 

Tom

On 8/18/2022 at 12:04 AM, Oldbaldguy said:

Sadly, my eyes went straight to the helipad just behind the cockpit and now I can’t see anything else.  Obvious character flaw on my part.

To be honest I don’t know enough about the Hornet for it to bother me all that much, but I can see the whole area behind the cockpit is slightly off.

I didn’t fancy any corrections as just getting this thing together is enough if a ball ache without making even more work for one’s self!

On 8/18/2022 at 11:06 AM, MARU5137 said:

Tom do you still build your models on a tray/table or gave you now gotten a modelling section/den..

Because if  you do its  an impressive  job if you still do that ... thinking out loud.

:whistle:

Yes indeed I do! Occasionally I’m allowed to use the kitchen table by High Command if it’s a really big one!

My two daughters currently have their own bedrooms but the youngest, Florence, will likely be moving in with her older sister, Imogen, as they are both keen on sleeping in bunk beds. That’ll free up the other bedroom for my modelling den/wife’s office again - for a while at least! 

We have thought about selling our current house and looking for a 4 bed place, but when such a house sells for around £800-850K in our area, on a teacher’s salary I can’t see that happening…

Bravo Tom!

I was about to suggest that with all your short-run and vac experience this infamous dog of a kit (others' words - I've not had the pleasure) would be a cakewalk but, really, it's beyond disappointing that a kit from a major manufacturer in this era should have so many fit issues. Good on you for employing those well-developed skills to produce another gorgeous build!

On 8/20/2022 at 11:03 PM, KiwiZac said:

Bravo Tom!

I was about to suggest that with all your short-run and vac experience this infamous dog of a kit (others' words - I've not had the pleasure) would be a cakewalk but, really, it's beyond disappointing that a kit from a major manufacturer in this era should have so many fit issues. Good on you for employing those well-developed skills to produce another gorgeous build!

Thanks, Zac - appreciated. And yes, you certainly don’t expect such a battle from a new tool kit - far too much work to get this together when it really should be a shake and bake with today’s technology. Ho hum. 

On 8/28/2022 at 6:08 PM, Redcrown said:

How was the shape of the nose? I've been watching some youtube videos of guys building this kit and they say that the nose is too bulbous. Your build turned out fantastic!

Rick

Many thanks, Rick - as for the shape I'm afraid I have no idea. The man to ask would be @Starfighter who knows more about the Hornet than your average man!

I'm hoping to get the last of the smaller details done over the weekend and sign this one off as complete - just need to matt cote the weapons and hang the pylons.

Hopefully she'll be RFI soon!

Tom