Telford SMW 2021

Phartycr0c

14 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

....I’ve never had paint do this before, EVER. I’ve been wracking my brains to figure out what might have happened. I fear it was my use of Mr hobby aqueous for the blue, mixed with Tamiya gloss black to produce the different shades of blue for the feathers. I can only suspect that there’s a paint compatibility issue that’s caused the shrinkage and subsequent cracking. 

I’m now trying to work out how i can touch this up without having to go down the route of drastic action. 
:crying:

14 hours ago, Iain said:

Sorry to see that!  :(

Doubt it's Tamiya/Mr Hobby compatibility (if both aqueous/alchohol based?) - I mix them all the time.

*Could* be that layers haven't sufficiently dried off between layers (I leave mine for days at least - sometimes weeks) - or possibly decal solvents not dryed/cleaned off properly (I've had similar happen because of this).

Deep breath - and, maybe, a large whisky - you might be surprised how much can be made good as new with some careful touching in, and a light varnish...

Iain

I agree with Iain: I use and intermix Mr Hobby Aqueous and Tamiya, and use Tamiya thinners for both brands.  Also, I'd agree that letting paint layers cure for at least 24 - 48 hours is sensible in all circumstances, however keen one is to crack on with the model.

Good luck with the fix.  I'm not yet sure if I'll make Telford this year, but I hope I do and hope to see your model.

Edited by MikeC

Putting the paint woes to one side so I don’t totally hijack the original thread content, would I need to join IPMS to be allowed to display on the LSP SIG table? I’d also be interested in helping out if there’s something useful that I could bring to the party. 

23 minutes ago, Stokey Pete said:

... would I need to join IPMS to be allowed to display on the LSP SIG table? ...

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think so.  However, I'd recommend you consider joining anyway, not least because it gets you free entry to SMW an hour earlier than the general public.  There are quite a few other benefits as well.  I've been a member since the 1980s (except for the latter part of that decade) and consider my sub money well spent.

On 3/19/2021 at 3:43 PM, Stokey Pete said:

What would I need to do if I wanted to display something on the table? I quite like the idea of bringing my HAF ‘Zeus’ Viper to show off. I’ve never put anything for public display before. 

Pete, it’s literally a case of turn up at the table and place her on display. You don’t have to be an IPMS. Member but membership allows you in an hour earlier before the general public and access to the kit swap if you want. Whatever the condition of that beautiful aircraft come November, bring it it’s not about perfection, far from it. 

38 minutes ago, Phartycr0c said:

Pete, it’s literally a case of turn up at the table and place her on display. You don’t have to be an IPMS. Member but membership allows you in an hour earlier before the general public and access to the kit swap if you want. Whatever the condition of that beautiful aircraft come November, bring it it’s not about perfection, far from it. 

That’s perfect, thanks for the heads up. I guess there’ll be a race to be the first one to have a Viggen on there too. :)

Thinking again about this today, I have a hunch that it's not going to happen, I just can't see the green light being given this year for a jam packed venue with social mixing, especially as the organisers have to commit about now to hold the venue. With the way things are there would need to he a dramatic change.

Graham 

I disagree - I think it will go ahead, given that it's likely that +95% of the UK population will be vaccinated by then. There might be measures such as restricted numbers allowed in, masks might have to be worn, and quite possibly no overseas participation, but I'm pretty sure that by November it will be possible to hold it.

5 hours ago, vince14 said:

I disagree - I think it will go ahead, given that it's likely that +95% of the UK population will be vaccinated by then. There might be measures such as restricted numbers allowed in, masks might have to be worn, and quite possibly no overseas participation, but I'm pretty sure that by November it will be possible to hold it.

Hope it does but cant see it at the moment, also I can imagine that IPMS and Telford International Centre will have to .are a decision on this fairly soon?

As for overseas visitors who knows but I can't see many if any European vendors coming over any time soon as fa to much trouble thanks to the dreaded B word!!

Regards. Andy 

On 3/20/2021 at 7:55 AM, Stokey Pete said:

Putting the paint woes to one side so I don’t totally hijack the original thread content, would I need to join IPMS to be allowed to display on the LSP SIG table? I’d also be interested in helping out if there’s something useful that I could bring to the party. 

Pete, if my memory serves me right, then I think you have to be an IPMS member to gain access to the main halls on the Friday (it's a very long time since I read the rules, however, so don't quote me on that!). I think that IPMS membership is also required for 8:00am entry on both the Saturday or Sunday, too.

The details should be in full on the IPMS UK website.

Chris.  

Further to my previous post, getting inside nice and early on the two main days (and getting away from the Telford weather in November) is easily worth the £23 that IPMS membership will set you back. If I remember right, a non-IPMS member entry is about 10 quid a day (or a combined Sat/Sun ticket for £15). And you get the IPMS magazine several times a year included in your membership...

Chris. 

I was thinking about missing this year if it's on, more the drive than anything else only about 150 miles but going east to west is slow  but just checked on the rail booking site I can get a train from Cleethorpes (which is my favorite railway station as it has two buffet bars) to Telford with only one change and quicker and about the same cost as fuel plus I can have a couple of beers which would be a first for me due to driving, so fingers crossed !!

Bob

Second that about joining IPMS,  Telford plus the mag plus the TAS (technical advisory service) and the interest groups which are a mine of information.

On 3/19/2021 at 7:58 PM, Juggernut said:

Guys, it’s flat PAINT over gloss PAINT.  Did it once with MM OD over MM aircraft grey and it looked horrible.  Never had it happen with clear coats.

It’s the different curing time between paints, simple as that.

• 5 months later...
22 hours ago, Trak-Tor said:

Well, it seems it's going to happen:
ipmsuk.org/category/scale-modelworld

Who's going to be there?
What about the SIG32 table?

I'd like to go if it will be possible.
But that will depend more on the situation here in our country than in the UK, I think.

:hmmm:

Juraj

There will be a 32nd sig table this year so if anyone has anything to contribute for display it will be gratefully received.