ICM NEWs 2021 - Bell AH-1G Cobra in 1/32

Jan_G

Not surprising ICM is releasing a Cobra as this year I fully rescribed the old Revell kit that stayed in my stash for 25 years...! Please thank me...:lol:^_^:innocent:

Oh well, this was fun and I will just use a dozen of parts from the kit. So this was very probably the best cost-benefit option.:whistle:

I'm looking a the ICM sprue shots again.  I can't see any rivets?  Am I missing them completely?  

I had the pleasure of being a crew chief on the AH-1's (Modernized, TOW capable) and later flew them as a Warrant Officer for the awesome states of Wisconsin and Missouri Army Guard.  These birds were loaded with pronounced button head rivets.  Hmmmmm. I'm seeing only engraved panel lines on the ICM spruce shots.  No Rivets.  

Picture:  Sunrise in the lower corner of Colorado during summer camp.  We were defending the great state of Colorado against the Bolsheviks hoards from the east.   l71aTTA.jpg

Notice the toilet bowl exhaust and the RH mounted tail rotor.  The main rotor is the newer -747 tapered end blades.  Great memories.  No offense to ANY Bolsheviks out there!   

Kindest regards,

T

Thought I read an inbox somewhere that mentioned nicely done raised rivets.   Hopefully this will be the case, as Troy mentioned, they are a prominent feature of the real thing.   

15 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

I'm looking a the ICM sprue shots again.  I can't see any rivets?  Am I missing them completely?  

I had the pleasure of being a crew chief on the AH-1's (Modernized, TOW capable) and later flew them as a Warrant Officer for the awesome states of Wisconsin and Missouri Army Guard.  These birds were loaded with pronounced button head rivets.  Hmmmmm. I'm seeing only engraved panel lines on the ICM spruce shots.  No Rivets.  

Picture:  Sunrise in the lower corner of Colorado during summer camp.  We were defending the great state of Colorado against the Bolsheviks hoards from the east.   l71aTTA.jpg

Notice the toilet bowl exhaust and the RH mounted tail rotor.  The main rotor is the newer -747 tapered end blades.  Great memories.  No offense to ANY Bolsheviks out there!   

Kindest regards,

T

Ah yes, Pinion Canyon.  Spent many a time there!  Looks like an S model?  My favorite Cobra!

I know this should be probably elsewhere, but it's connected to this model.

icm.com.ua - Cobra AH-1G paint set

Hello to everybody, we are happily present you our first acrylic paint set!
Yes, we are serious .
Try new item – Cobra AH-1G paint set (item#3001).

1 set / 6 jars / each 12 ml / 5 colors + varnish matt / water-based acrylic paint.

lystovka-kobrakrasky-1024x751.jpg

Juraj

Third version will have crew figures.   

187821355-1644062769119988-2864278135679

A bit underwhelming, I had hoped they would be in the Vietnam era two-piece nomex flight suits and at least one would be wearing a chicken plate and survival gear.  Did the one piece flight suits for Army pilots even appear during the war?   Almost looks like they went with generic Army pilots so they could be used with later version Cobras as well. 

Here is what a well-dressed Cobra pilot wore during the war (note the bad-*ss M35 cannon and what looks to be a patched bullet hole behind the canopy):

See the source image

Edited by John1

3 hours ago, cch4530 said:

what're the chances of getting a F or S model?

Very high for an early S with the rounded canopy as the current kit has a separate nose and useless TOW parts. So this is quite obvious. A later one with the armored canopy and redesigned exhaust is another matter as this would ask for a fully new fuselage. That one is less obvious.

8 hours ago, cch4530 said:

what're the chances of getting a F or S model?

My guess is that it depends on how well the G sells.   If it meets / exceeds ICM's expectations, I think we'll see them take a deeper plunge into not just the Cobra series but also hopefully many other rotary wing subjects. 

I have the kit.Construction went well.No engine.Only a visible rotor assembly box housing unit.It’s best to take the engine assembly from the Revell kit and install it in the ICM kit like I did.Lot’s of modification and light surgery needed.Rotors are a bit on the thick side 4 part’s.Very pod kit.More to come of Viet Nam helicopters from ICM.Not normal for ICM not to have an engine.

1 hour ago, silver said:

I have the kit.Construction went well.No engine.Only a visible rotor assembly box housing unit.It’s best to take the engine assembly from the Revell kit and install it in the ICM kit like I did.Lot’s of modification and light surgery needed.Rotors are a bit on the thick side 4 part’s.Very pod kit.More to come of Viet Nam helicopters from ICM.Not normal for ICM not to have an engine.

Could you go into detail on the "modifications and light surgery" you needed to perform on this kit?

Edited by John1