ICM NEWs 2021 - Bell AH-1G Cobra in 1/32

Jan_G

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Indeed,

the OOB chin gun is complete junk. Amazingly the 1/35th PE M134 fits the kit perfectly IMHO

IMG_20211102_193206657-XL.jpg

IMG_20211124_152408675-XL.jpg

Where did you get that mini gun barrel from?   The Metallic Design set is awesome but I’m not spending over $30 for just a turret / barrel set.   

That CMK M35 is gorgeous.  It's too bad they didn't also include the fuselage parts.    Thanks for the lead on the RB M135 minigun set.   I think I'll pass.   I just can't see me getting all the barrels and brackets adjusted and secured without making a big mess.   Still have nightmares of trying to do this with the ancient Verlinden 20mm Vulcan.  

BTW, Special Hobby's Late Cobra with the M35 was just announced.   Sounds like it will be out in the near future. 

15 minutes ago, John1 said:

That CMK M35 is gorgeous.  It's too bad they didn't also include the fuselage parts.    Thanks for the lead on the RB M135 minigun set.   I think I'll pass.   I just can't see me getting all the barrels and brackets adjusted and secured without making a big mess.   Still have nightmares of trying to do this with the ancient Verlinden 20mm Vulcan.  

BTW, Special Hobby's Late Cobra with the M35 was just announced.   Sounds like it will be out in the near future. 

Not sure if it counts for anything, but I thought the exact same thing. Ive tried to assemble the PE 20mm canon and it was a COMPLETE nightmare; I ended up pitching all the PE parts in the spares drawer........

Assembling the RB Productions M134 is nothing like the PE 20mm canon. Radu or whomever made all the tiny parts only really go together one way, and it was not bad at all. This was especially true VS the nightmare of that Vulcan.

40 minutes ago, John1 said:

Looking at the parts and instructions, you don’t get any new resin/PE detail parts for the M35.  It’s the same extra detail parts as in their previous kits.  Nice, but you still have to buy the CMK M35 set separately if you want detail parts.  That’s disappointing.

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/ah-1g-cobra-over-vietnam-with-m-35-gun-system-hi-tech-kit.html

23 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Looking at the parts and instructions, you don’t get any new resin/PE detail parts for the M35.  It’s the same extra detail parts as in their previous kits.  Nice, but you still have to buy the CMK M35 set separately if you want detail parts.  That’s disappointing.

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/ah-1g-cobra-over-vietnam-with-m-35-gun-system-hi-tech-kit.html

Just noticed that the kit listed above is 1/48.

Carl

Funny story - after whining about the kit’s crappy minigun barrels, I actually looked in my kit.   Special Hobby also provides very nice M134’s and 40-mm barrels.  When the kit arrived in the mail, I gave it a very quick look over and put it on the shelf.   The extras you get with the SH kit are fantastic.  Everything from exquisite pilot’s helmets, to rocket launchers, the mesh screens over the air inlets, etc.  All we need are some nice Nam era decals.   

• 4 months later...

For those that are interested, Werner's Wings is previewing what looks to be some pretty nice sets of rocket pods including these.  Knowing the quality of their products, these will be of high quality and reasonably priced.    Only downside from WW is that after stating they were working on multiple 32nd scale decal sheets for the Cobra, Floyd has apparently changed his mind and is only initially releasing these in 48th scale with just a "maybe" on doing these anytime soon in 32nd.    That's really too bad.   I can't believe that 48th would be more popular but what do I know?    That leaves me hanging for lack of a suitable subject for my just-starting build of the SH 32nd scale kit. 

326502024_1706884383042130_6688445585291

On 9/2/2022 at 1:27 AM, John1 said:

Funny story - after whining about the kit’s crappy minigun barrels, I actually looked in my kit.   Special Hobby also provides very nice M134’s and 40-mm barrels.  When the kit arrived in the mail, I gave it a very quick look over and put it on the shelf.   The extras you get with the SH kit are fantastic.  Everything from exquisite pilot’s helmets, to rocket launchers, the mesh screens over the air inlets, etc.  All we need are some nice Nam era decals.   

Well, there are nice Nam era decals! Lone Star has a beautiful set and ASK recently released THREE sets!

5 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Well, there are nice Nam era decals! Lone Star has a beautiful set and ASK recently released THREE sets!

I actually didn't think LS was still in business.   I did look at those decals, unfortunately, they are just of "Wretched Mildred" which already comes with the kit decals.   I don't know what to think about the ASK ones, does anyone know how their quality is?   Some of the research and colors on the profiles appears to be inaccurate.    

The biggest issue was that I am really focused on late war Cobras (mid-'72 through '73) as fitted with the "toilet bowl" exhaust diverter, introduced when the SAM-7 threat increased.    None of the subjects from ASK are of these later snakes.    All are early / mid-war subjects.    The WW decal set was supposed to have a couple of late war Cobras.  

2 hours ago, John1 said:

I actually didn't think LS was still in business.   I did look at those decals, unfortunately, they are just of "Wretched Mildred" which already comes with the kit decals.   I don't know what to think about the ASK ones, does anyone know how their quality is?   Some of the research and colors on the profiles appears to be inaccurate.    

The biggest issue was that I am really focused on late war Cobras (mid-'72 through '73) as fitted with the "toilet bowl" exhaust diverter, introduced when the SAM-7 threat increased.    None of the subjects from ASK are of these later snakes.    All are early / mid-war subjects.    The WW decal set was supposed to have a couple of late war Cobras.  

I get your point but the problem is simple: the large scale Helo market is what it is: the decals in the kits are not bad, various aftermarket sets already exist even if they do not cover the full scope and Helo decals do not sell very well. In such circumstances releasing another set is unfortunately a financial gamble.

Actually 2023 will possibly be the year of the large scale Helo!

-We just got the Osage and the Branly is arriving from small actors

-Various boxings of the ICM Skycrane are announced to be released soon 

-The Trumpeter Russian Navy Kamov Helix is already available in Asia 

-Two companies are releasing late Apaches and one added well as the Navy Helo drone (Takom)

-Academy just announced the UH-1Y Venom 

-An Eastern company just released a resin civilian Kamov (available from Balaton Models)

And it looks others are in the pipe (at least from ICM).

I'm sure we never got so many different families of large scale helicopters in a two years timeframe! This may maintain that Cobra aftermarket releases impetum...

I posted on the Trader's Forum but figured I'd put it out here as well.   If anyone has an unused M35 20mm cannon (including the mounts and ammo bays) from the ICM AH-1G Late Version kit and wants to part with it, please PM me.

Thank you!