ICM NEWs 2021 - Bell AH-1G Cobra in 1/32

Jan_G

2 hours ago, John1 said:

For the box art above, to be totally accurate, the gunner needs to be holding his left canopy shut.  

Or holding a camera. My father took this one of it "in action" with 7/17 early 1970

cannon.jpg

1 hour ago, eoyguy said:

Maybe some of our current decal gurus will come to the rescue?  

Don't know about specifically the Swatter, but I imagine Floyd/Werner Wings would do some decals, and the AOA decals sheet for it is still on the "to-do" list (I don't have the kit yet though). Others maybe too?

The firepower carried by the Vulcan-equipped Cobra is simply breath-taking!

20mm gatling-cannon....

7.62mm gatling-gun in the nose....

40mm grenade-launcher in the nose...

Various unguided, 2.75 inch aerial rockets....

I would think that Mr. Charles would keep a VERY low-profile, if he knew that this helo was in the area. I certainly would...

Chris.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

In the Special Hobby newsletter I received today, they mention assisting ICM with the Hi Tech release, no further details. 

Has Special Hobby done this with any other ICM kits?   If so, what did they add?

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Has Special Hobby done this with any other ICM kits?   If so, what did they add?

I really don't know, the email mentions they are working on a couple of sets for the ICM Tiger Moth, but no mention what, however these might be released by CMK, as they don't state it's for a Hi Tech release.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the guy on Britmodeler had a good source.  ICM has confirmed that a 35th AH-1G is due next year.    Given that I've got a crapload of unbuilt models on hand, I think I might hold off on the current kit and wait for the 35th one.     

I have to wonder if ICM heard some of the complaints about 32nd scale and decided to release all new helos (which hopefully will include a Huey) in 35th?  Would seem a bit odd to have two series of helo kits, 32nd and 35th competing against each other for sales. 

2 hours ago, John1 said:

Looks like the guy on Britmodeler had a good source.  ICM has confirmed that a 35th AH-1G is due next year.    Given that I've got a crapload of unbuilt models on hand, I think I might hold off on the current kit and wait for the 35th one.     

I have to wonder if ICM heard some of the complaints about 32nd scale and decided to release all new helos (which hopefully will include a Huey) in 35th?  Would seem a bit odd to have two series of helo kits, 32nd and 35th competing against each other for sales. 

They might compete with each other. On the other hand, I’m a 1/32nd guy, but the 1/35 appeals for compatibility with existing vehicle/personnel kits in 1/35th. Dioramas and such. No reason not to make modelers in both scales happy. I hope it pays for ICM so they can keep up their pace, which is pretty impressive.

Lockheed Cheyenne would be frickin’ awesome.

Cheers, 

Adam

I’d be fine with 1/35.  That said, I hope they fix some of the issues with the 1/32 kit.  I don’t mind that the kit doesn’t have an engine, but some of the detail, like the cockpit and the tip of the minigun barrel is underwhelming for the scale and the high price, and not really on par with what you get in recent Revell kits like the Lynx and EC135/145 kits.  The ICM kit offers a lot of configuration options in the box, and is a big step up from the old Revell kit, but I think they could have done better, considering the price.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

they could have done better, considering the price.

As much as I appreciate what you're saying, Dave, the chances of anyone else bringing out another 1/32 Cobra are pretty minimal. The new ICM kits will be the bench-mark for a long time to come. Unfortunately, it sounds like we either live with the lack of good detail in places, scratch-build or drop some serious coin on after-market upgrades. 

Chris.  

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I have a strong feeling that there is a Ukrainian model mafia going on.  Companies like ICM intentionally do less than over the top detailing so that their fellow Ukrainian companies like ResKit can step in and do all the bits and pieces (and do them incredibly well) and then everybody makes money.  I can't say I'm upset by that, given the jewel-like level of quality that outfits like ResKit are producing.  Yes, it costs us more money, but in the end, is that really an issue for most people?  It's a hobby.

Nothing new really. Saw it happening at least 15 years ago when aftermarket stuff started appearing at the same time as the kit. Remember when a kit would be out for months or even years before aftermarket was available for it? Obviously the kit makers were doing something to allow nearly simultaneous release of aftermarket with the target kit. I think I said something at the time that this would lead to companies skimping on detail and allowing the aftermarket guys to take up the slack. About the time that Revell released the He-162 kit as I recall,  with Squadron providing more detailed resin cockpit, wells, etc. At least that's my recollection, my mind isn't what it once was, and it wasn't much then...

Edited by eoyguy