sailing ships

LSP_Mike

I just bought the Academy Roman sailing ship. It's actually Carthaginian in origin.

Interesting factoid, the Romans learned how to build ships following the capture of a Carthaginian ship. Carthage used a Paint by numbers/Ikea method of building ships.

Those silly Carthaginians. :D

My dear old departed dad used to buy ship plans and build wood model sailing ships plank on frame type models, (we’re Newfie’s) he frowned on my interest in plastic “toys” as they required no skill or imagination to build. He was a true master at building those wood sailboats and 20 years later when I finally started building models I wasn’t ashamed of having seen he was quite amazed at the detail and work involved in actually building a plastic “toy model”

Ive kept all the ships I could after his passing and they always get more attention and praise than my models and that makes me proud of dad...

best wishes to anyone who builds these ships

They make them from large to small. The smallest one with interesting detail I have seen is a Victory in 1/700. It has lots of brass parts for the masts and yards plus ratlines in photoetch. Pretty crazy for that small. They make even smaller ones for those of you with microscopes.

I did both Constitutions, Cutty Sark, Bounty, Mayflower, Great Eastern (1/388?), Victory and Santa Maria, most in about 1/96 as a kid up to High School... almost all are destroyed except for the Mayflower that I gave to my Aunts and then it passed to my sister. I would like to try some again, but like everything else, space, time and dollars limit us.

Have fun,

Tnarg

36 minutes ago, Tnarg said:

They make them from large to small. The smallest one with interesting detail I have seen is a Victory in 1/700. It has lots of brass parts for the masts and yards plus ratlines in photoetch. Pretty crazy for that small. They make even smaller ones for those of you with microscopes.

I did both Constitutions, Cutty Sark, Bounty, Mayflower, Great Eastern (1/388?), Victory and Santa Maria, most in about 1/96 as a kid up to High School... almost all are destroyed except for the Mayflower that I gave to my Aunts and then it passed to my sister. I would like to try some again, but like everything else, space, time and dollars limit us.

Have fun,

Tnarg

You just reminded me that when I was a kid, I built all three of the Columbus ships. Very small kits as I recall, and I have no recollection of the manufacturer nor the quality. One goal of mine now will be to hunt down all three kits to purchase again, just for the sake of pure nostalgia.

I'd be interested in a recommendation for a large-ish scale plastic sailing boat kit. Something that isn't too complex and builds up into a good model

My first experience was of the Airfix Victory when I was about ten (the large scale one). Next one was an Airfix Mary Rose last year

That's about a 50 year gap!

Richard