1/32 P-51B conversion from Revell 1/32 P-51D early

ironman1945

6 hours ago, JerseyChris said:

Drew Brees was on FIRE Sunday night, great game!

Hey JerseyChris!

Yes, Drew Brees was da BOMB Sunday night. Been a big fan of his since his college days at Purdue. Always thought if the Chargers had kept him they would have had a Superbowl by now!

Cheers!

Dave/Ironman1945

5 hours ago, Derek B said:

Nice to see you back again Dave (I fully understand your photo issues). It is also great to see some good old kit conversion work going on - well done Dave.

Cheers

Derek

45 minutes ago, Cees Broere said:

Very nice subject and right up my alley. I have a stalled Revell kit and Trumpeter fuselage halves in use as a paint mule. Hmmmm.

Good to see you back in action Dave.

Cees, Derek.

Yes, been awhile. Not that I had stopped building, the whole Photobucket thing was disappointing.  Also, been sidetracked (pun) by RC Tanks.... bit the bullet and bought Tamiya's 1/16 Tiger and Super Sherman. What the heck, gotta do something during a pandemic!

Cheers!

Dave/Ironman1945

5 hours ago, ironman1945 said:

Hey JerseyChris!

Yes, Drew Brees was da BOMB Sunday night. Been a big fan of his since his college days at Purdue. Always thought if the Chargers had kept him they would have had a Superbowl by now!

Cheers!

Dave/Ironman1945

Us old guys like Drew, Ben and Tom have go to stick together!

best wishes buddy

• 4 weeks later...

Been busy with cleaning things up at work before the holidays.  Managed to progress the conversion a bit more. 

Worked on modifying the gun ports. Sliced off the 3 .50 cal ports and filled in the holes in preparation for drilling out the twin .50 gun ports.  

By the way, my favorite filler for this kind of work is a mix of approx 30% super glue and 70 % talcum or baby powder.  Dries fast, sands smooth and hardness is similar to plastic. Can be cleanly scribed by cutting into it with a fine razor saw... but not a scribing needle.

IMG_20201110_141806

Managed to finish work on the rear fuselage as well. Again filler was mainly superglue and talc powder, with small touch ups using Tamiya filler. Re-scribing was as mentioned earlier, mainly with a razor saw. 

IMG_20201205_231830

IMG_20201205_231732

Close to joining up with the wings!   Cheers, hope everyone is well, and stay safe out there!

Dave/Ironman1945

12 hours ago, ironman1945 said:

Been busy with cleaning things up at work before the holidays.  Managed to progress the conversion a bit more. 

Worked on modifying the gun ports. Sliced off the 3 .50 cal ports and filled in the holes in preparation for drilling out the twin .50 gun ports.  

By the way, my favorite filler for this kind of work is a mix of approx 30% super glue and 70 % talcum or baby powder.  Dries fast, sands smooth and hardness is similar to plastic. Can be cleanly scribed by cutting into it with a fine razor saw... but not a scribing needle.

IMG_20201110_141806

Morning Dave- good to see you back on some Mustang goodness. Loving the work so far!

Question regarding your scribing of the talc/CA mixture.....you mentioned it scribes well with a razor saw, and looking through my Arsenal of tools, I realized I don’t have anything remotely appropriate for the task. What kind of razor saw are you using for this kind of work? 

Keep the updates coming, and thanks....

THOR    :ph34r:

8 hours ago, bdthoresen said:

Morning Dave- good to see you back on some Mustang goodness. Loving the work so far!

Question regarding your scribing of the talc/CA mixture.....you mentioned it scribes well with a razor saw, and looking through my Arsenal of tools, I realized I don’t have anything remotely appropriate for the task. What kind of razor saw are you using for this kind of work? 

Keep the updates coming, and thanks....

THOR    :ph34r:

Brian, try either the JLC one, or the one from RB Productions. I use the former, and wouldn’t be without it.

Kev

2 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Brian, try either the JLC one, or the one from RB Productions. I use the former, and wouldn’t be without it.

Kev

Hey Brian, this is what I have, purchased (along with the blades) from Mirco Mark,  

Wood Handle for Ultra Fine Saw Blades (micromark.com)

But of course, the ones mentioned by Kev would work just as well.

Cheers!

Dave/Ironman1945