Kitty Hawk Mirage 2000C

Cheetah11

58 minutes ago, norbert said:

The cockpit is too long too, so you have to cut it also. The IP and control stick will then be at their right place

Thanks Norbert

I have already done the preliminary cockpit work with the shortened fuselage. A pity the aftermarket cockpits will not fit now. In cockpit photos there are a large number of differences in the sidewalls as well. I will see next week how to solve that when I can start detailing the cockpit.

FB836DEA-D54A-4D25-9246-B40CC4A171E0.jpg

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

17 hours ago, Marcel111 said:

Great Scott I thought this would be an easy kit but looks like I was wrong. Kudos to you addressing these issues and I am also keen to see how you address the windscreen fit.

Cheers,

Marcel

Hi Marcel

This kit has been a bit of a strange journey. After this build I feel like Insp Clouseau in the Pink Panther:  " With me surprises are rarely unexpected"

The fixes are not difficult. It is the finding and figuring how to fix it that takes time. Also once things are cut there is no going back.

On 11/6/2020 at 4:40 AM, jenshb said:

Interesting observation there Nick.  How will you solve the problem of making the windshield match?  6 mm is a lot to chop.

Everyone is wondering about the windscreen. Yes Jens, I was also wondering about cutting 6mm off the windscreen and the resulting decrease in height but I am pleased with the result.I spend a bit more time last night and this is the result. The windscreen is not tall enough by about 2mm but I realized early on in the build the fixes were not going to be perfect but at least a better compromise.

Cut as shown and notches filed. (Be very careful !, clear plastic is generally more brittle so cut carefully and really take time if this fix is attempted.)

The original windscreen does not fit well as it is a bit narrow. ( I think on the original kit the issue is the same). I first tested a piece of clear sprue for ten seconds in hot water and then did the same on the windscreen. Much better fit. 

Measured on the model and cut a little further way. Final finishing sanding it back a little.

ED18-D374-1-ED2-4-EC2-9-CBC-6550-F8-E232

9D1EABE4-4A76-4BC3-A6E9-888CD45EB1A6.jpg

Still needs a small amount of sanding back.

9D15A8A4-6B0F-48DF-B04E-177895608A3D.jpg

Still a bit of work but at least it is doable with the kit canopy.

9FD19974-91D3-4AC5-8110-8CE6579CF0AC.jpg

Starting work next week after 7 months of furlow, so modeling time will be more limited.  This build will slow down a bit but I think it is worthwhile taking time for a good result.

Cheers

Nick

9 hours ago, jenshb said:

Good job shortening the windshield - it looks the part.  As it is now lower, that will surely make it impossible to have a closed canopy.

Hi Jens

Not unless you cheat a bit and sand the main canopy and fuselage a bit.

12 hours ago, red Dog said:

No guts no glory is what i thought when I saw you fixing that issue.

I am so glad I chose the D/N rather than the single seat. I probably would not have the same courage as you to fix this

Hat's off 

Hi Olivier

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but looking at the photos of the D?N kit I think it has the same issue. 

Happy modeling everyone.

Nick

Alain send me photos of the Mirage 2000C cockpit that he found on a French website.

Thanks a million Alain.:clap2: 

From all the photos I could find the different versions have very different cockpit layouts, so the kit in not really correct for any of the versions.

From Alain's photos I could detail the sidewalls and correct the rear bulkhead for the 2000C. During the weekend I will start adding smaller details, for now just to get the basic structure right.

The panels on the sides are also mostly generic instruments, so that will also need to change. 

The kit cockpit looks impressive at first sight, but is not very accurate, so here goes.

2DFE6828-FA08-4E6A-81DE-7099FBBA05D7.jpg

BD8DF562-9361-4408-ACD5-7D806B93515D.jpg

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

hi Nick

it seems that you are on the good way , can't wait for more progress on this cockpit .. did you notice this kind of " handle " ??? lever ?? ( don't know )at the right corner , that looks like a car hand brake .. in fact I think it is :hmmm:

Alain 

Edited by alain11

On 11/10/2020 at 2:18 PM, alain11 said:

hi Nick

it seems that you are on the good way , can't wait for more progress on this cockpit .. did you notice this kind of " handle " ??? lever ?? ( don't know )at the right corner , that looks like a car hand brake .. in fact I think it is :hmmm:

Alain 

Hi Alain

Yes it does look like a car hand brake but I think it is an emergency hydraulic pump of sorts. The Mirage handbrake is on the left front console above the u/c lever.

I have been tied up with work so just a small update. Looking at photos I realized the cockpit has a step in it, so most of the time was spent building a new floor.

I want to build more representative  side consoles, so I took consoles from a surplus F-16 and removed it from the cockpit. Trey were sanded wafer thin and I will cut them over the weekend to fit to the kit cockpit.

5E565C76-3FA4-47C1-A069-D47D2949395C.jpg

9AF63661-6EFA-42A5-82BD-0EC3EE8D3672.jpg

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

33 minutes ago, red Dog said:

Nice work Nick

What are these panels, are you printing them to scale and then populating them with knobs? 

Hi Olivier

they come from the Academy Sufa kit. The single seat cockpit is not used so I cut the panels from the cockpit tub and sanded them thin.

Cheers

Nick

On 11/6/2020 at 5:33 AM, Cheetah11 said:

Done and dusted or should I say cut and pasted Alain. Thanks to Romain for picking this and the tank discrepancy up.

E0-ED29-B4-99-A5-4-D03-80-C8-E758-B07488

It looks much better and the hud is now correct relative to the canopy frame.

Now that it is seen it cannot be made unseen unfortunately.

The question now is how is the cockpit affected as the IP will move 6mm back as well. I will see over the weekend what needs to be done.

It now looks like this.

Cheers 

Nick

You're a brave man to do that based on a photo.

Two things:

1. If you do not have it, pick up a copy of "Mirage 2000 under the skin" Superb reference for the build

2. If you have not already, the Facebook group "Group Build Mirage 2000" is another great place to learn about the kit's problems, fixes and aftermarket being produced by some very talented individuals.