A poll (of sorts); do you stay focused on one model project?

LSP_K2

On 8/15/2020 at 11:43 PM, LSP_K2 said:

Do you fellas generally stay focused on finishing one model at a time, without being distracted by working on other models, or meander from project to project, as I frequently do?

Just curious.

Other models? This year I've drifted between modelling aeroplanes, restoring a 1972 MG and building machine tools from scratch

Too many hobbies...

Richard

6 hours ago, RLWP said:

Other models? This year I've drifted between modelling aeroplanes, restoring a 1972 MG and building machine tools from scratch

Too many hobbies...

Richard

Ooo ah. An MG.  I had a 1971 MG Midget.  What a fun car it was. I sold it long ago.  Something to do with a woman and a break up.  

I keep 10 to 15 going.  My BofB group build is one of them.  I want it to be the first to be out of the line up. The new Dewoitine D500 is pretty darn shiny but I have resisted starting it beyond a few key test fits.  I do this to determine if I want another kit.  It is one of my favorite French ac. 

I will sometimes clear the bench for a week or so and work on a sci-fi kit. The war of the world’s Martin Warrior or a dinosaur.  I will post the Martian in the Non-LSP section when I get it done. 

Edited by Rick Griewski
Brain fade

Seven jets on the go, for between 5 and 17 years.

I have sixty or so LSPs in the stash and have pledged I mustn't even open the bags on another before at least one of those is finished. The Finnish Fishbed started in 2005 is the closest, although there are two Zacto-corrected A-7Es which have the potential to be first past the post. 

A lot of Aerospace Ground Equipment on the go too, which would take only a few hours to complete. Weird: five-six pieces of mostly USN deck support gear and no aircraft to go with them!  I think it's nature's way of telling me to build 1/24-25 scale fire engines and vintage cars. 

Tony 

One and only one, for the following reasons:

1. It's easy to lose or misplace parts if I start a new project
  2. Most of the paint I use is specifically mixed for one model, so multiple models would be chaos.  "Which green is this?"
  3. It's hard enough to do research on any aircraft, so multiple aircraft would be too confusing
  4. I write magazine articles, so the build steps need to be sequential without noise from other projects
  5. I hate to see WIP threads start with great gusto and then fade into oblivion, probably because they were set aside for something new.  I don't want to be "that guy".
  6. I'm stubborn.  Models set aside could wind up on The Shelf of Doom.  Never!  ;)

Cheers,

Chuck

Hi all!

I call myself a "butterfly-builder", I jump from kit to kit all the time.

I always have 30+ kits started and about 3-5  "on the bench" at the same time, scale, subject, type and stage (of the build) is all over the place.

I need variation or I get bored and nothing will be done, you don´t eat the same food every day, eh?

On my bench right now; AMT Space 1999 Eagle Transporter, Eduard 1/48 P-51D Mustang (2x),  Airfix 1/48 Tiger Moth, Eastern Express 1/144 Short Skyvan, Meng 1/35 Merkava, Tamiya 1/24 Mercedes SLK,  Revell 1/48 Tornado IDS, Italeri 1/32 Mirage IIIC, Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E Tiger II, well that´s way more then five, but you get the idea.

Cheers! :D

Stefan

Since I retired, I have several hobby projects going.

#1 - Model railroad HO scale switching layout. Spent last several months moving it out of the house and into an outbuilding -

started the layout about 10 years ago - perpetual w-i-p...

#2 - LSP - w-i-p 1:32 Tamiya Birdcage Corsair currently on the workbench - got all three of them but just doing one at a time - been working on it off and on for about 6 months - first plastic model aircraft since I was about 12 years old... great kit!

#3 - Model sailing ships - 2 w-i-p, 1:48 schooner and sloop from kits. Been working on both of these for about 3 years. Really got to be in the mood for this...

#4 - Model cars - 1:24 '32-'34 Ford stock & hot rods. I build two or three a year - No w-i-p I usually do these from start to finish and give them away

boats, trains, planes and cars..  never a dull moment...  :wacko:

Hmmm.

Interesting...

What is this 'focused' of which you speak? I don't recognise it.  ;)

I gave up years ago and just go with the flow in my head now - but have projects to hand and try and do at least a little on each regularly, so that progress is being made and eventually they start rolling out at the other end.

That's the theory, anyway.

Oh look, another squirrel...  :frantic:

How ever you do it - have FUN - that's the most important thing. :coolio:

Iain

One or occasionally 2 at a time. Only two at a time if I'm in one of my 'wanting to show different versions of the same aircraft' moods (such as the 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire IX and PMC Mk XIV conversion I did several years ago). I occasionally let a project go to the shelf of doom but they do get get resurrected, such as the Dauer Porsche that sat in the too difficult pile for 8 years but is now nearing completion. The Dauer was a twin build with an ordinary Rothmans 962C but unfortunately the dog chewed the body to pieces when I set it outside in the rare sunshine to let the paint dry

I need the satisfaction of getting something finished to keep my motivation!

Personally, I enjoy the pummelling dished out by several kits at once, however in theory all modern kits should be a detailed doddle.  I wouldn't mind but way back in the 1970's and 80's the kits were rough and crude, if you had a piece that resembled an armchair - this was an actual ejection seat!   Everything was raised detail  (Matchbox doesn't count) and if your kit had a canopy that could be shown open, wow!  At present I am questioning whether the parents of the Trumpeter F-14A were married; the "B" word is being flung about quite a bit.