RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

13 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Oh an interesting point has been brought up on BM tht the top vane on the intake vari ramps is actually a cable cutter and might have a saw tooth edge, something I will need to look into.  Yet another difference between FG.1 and FGR.2's?

Hi Anthony,

Not really sure if they are or not? (however, they mat serve this function during barrier engagements!). as I recall, they were generally a flattened 'diamond' shape in cross section (see image), as all of these things tend to be for both aerodynamic and strength purposes.

a USAF McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantom flying showing windshields : News Photo

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Thanks Derek

Tony G on BM had this to say:

HI Anthony top and bottom triangle shaped blades are reversible, held by 4 screws ie could be reversed and refitted blade internally in the airframe, As far as I am aware they normally were only fitted for when embarked on a carrier.  It is not very clear but you can just about see the lower blade in the white triangle fwd of the nose door of the 892 nose pic

For info the upper barrier cutter to the intake fixed ramp was a wavy edge more than a saw tooth

I need to look into this further...

22 hours ago, hamfists nz said:

Bit of inspiration for you if you haven’t seen it

https://hermajestystopgun.com/gallery-her-majestys-top-gun/

Great stuff, there are some lovely photos there....almost makes me want to do a RN one!

Still plugging away on the surface details on the starboard center section when I got a nice surprise in the mail today...

7hhou7.jpg

These are the clear cast parts to @Ali62 revised canopy set (there is also a bag of internal framework and sills etc)for the Tamiya Phantom.  All I can say is WOW!  These are beautiful and if you have a Tamiya Phantom in your stash, then you NEED one of these.

Especially thanks to Rick @Spooky56 for sending me 2 sets.  Thank you sir!  I hope I only need the one LOL

Right-O back to scribing and riveting.....

Cheers Anthony

11 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Great stuff, there are some lovely photos there....almost makes me want to do a RN one!

Still plugging away on the surface details on the starboard center section when I got a nice surprise in the mail today...

7hhou7.jpg

These are the clear cast parts to @Ali62 revised canopy set (there is also a bag of internal framework and sills etc)for the Tamiya Phantom.  All I can say is WOW!  These are beautiful and if you have a Tamiya Phantom in your stash, then you NEED one of these.

Especially thanks to Rick @Spooky56 for sending me 2 sets.  Thank you sir!  I hope I only need the one LOL

Right-O back to scribing and riveting.....

Cheers Anthony

Fantastic work Anthony, been catching up over the last little while, it sure is a ONE OF KIND, super detailed project. 
Thank you for the kind words on the canopies, hope that they work out well for you, also thank you to Rick for sending them to you.

If you do not mind here is a direct link to the canopy set https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/mcdonnell-douglas-phantom-replacement-canopy-set-for-tamiya-kits

cheers Ali

9 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

Fantastic work Anthony, been catching up over the last little while, it sure is a ONE OF KIND, super detailed project. 
Thank you for the kind words on the canopies, hope that they work out well for you, also thank you to Rick for sending them to you.

If you do not mind here is a direct link to the canopy set https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/mcdonnell-douglas-phantom-replacement-canopy-set-for-tamiya-kits

cheers Ali

Thanks Ali,  means a lot coming from you! 

Funnily enough, your name came up in discussion over the phone last night with Kerry, you'll probably know why after seeing this update

6 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Those definitely look like a must-buy for any Phantom builder.  Tamiya's choice on the original kit were such an Achilles heel.

Matt 

Absolutely....did I say a must have.  Clearly I am in awe of them

All final finishing is done on the reheat cans and I am happy to say they are a close to perfect and accurate as we can get them.  Still another 'tweak on the 'ramps' but we're getting close

Inside

Yc0dPw.jpg

7pvRKa.jpg

qR5JB7.jpg

The cans tuck up in the back like this, Photo Credit Julien (Walkaround coordinator on BM)

RN2F1q.jpg

Here is mine in place, sitting a touch low still

fLrp8C.jpg

Should be closer to this, but easy to fix, a touch more sanding along the top of the opening should tuck it in closer to this, this is a tiny bit high I think, but just placed in here to illustrate

DNBD92.jpg

And a slightly different angle.  Important to note that there is still a titanium edging to go around the edge of the airframe, slightly overlapping the edge of the can.

This will fill the gap between the 2 parts and tidy it all up. This illustrates how I still have to 'tuck' that engine up about another 1mm

0fT7LB.jpg

Oh well, back to surface details, this was a nice diversion

Cheers

Anthony

10 minutes ago, Marcel111 said:

Looks excellent! Boy are those exhausts huge!

Marcel

I know, they are massive aren't they!  I couldn't believe the size when I saw the first prints and had to measure them to check sizing...yup, they were right.

I believe they were noisy beasts!

The cans tuck up in the back like this, Photo Credit Julien (Walkaround coordinator on BM)

RN2F1q.jpg

Be a little careful with these types of image Anthony, as the majority of preserved Phantom airframes in the UK do not have engines installed, so those exhaust shrouds are effectively 'loose' and may not quite accurately represent the actual positions they would be in if they were attached to an engine and jet pipe! (although this one does look fairly close).

XV582 - McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 - United Kingdom - Royal Air Force (RAF)

fg1_phantom_39_of_50.jpg

fg1_phantom_09_of_50.jpg

fg1_phantom_04_of_50.jpg

tXBr1i9.jpg

dux00212.jpg

XV582 - McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 - United Kingdom - Royal Air Force (RAF)

probably slightly less 'tucked in' (almost parallel in fact). In terms of how far in or out it should be, you can see a slight variation in all of the photographs (even though they are all FG.1 aircraft). The shroud does moves fore and aft depending upon the selected power setting, so there may be some variation here due to shut down position, hydraulic pressure dissipation, etc.

This is a measurement from an FGR.2 aircraft:

yR0NKrp.jpg

fit85us.jpg

KbWafxG.jpg

Cheers

Derek