1/32 Fokker Dr.I from Meng

barkhorn

I think this could very easily be fixed as mentioned with hot (but not boiling) water. I usually get water boiling, then let it cool down slightly so its no longer boiling, then strap the plastic down to a board or other immovably straight object, and apply the hot water, then let cool.

Not sure this will work on the Meng tripe, but I think this would be an easy fix however one decided to do it.   I have yet to order/get my copy, but I will at some point for sure. 

23 hours ago, esarmstrong said:

Reviewer seems to be holding out the possibility that others may still want to try their hand at a 1/32 scale Fokker Dr.1, while hinting at a Copper State Models effort.

Personally, I'd think that would be ill advised. Despite its popularity in some circles, I expect yet another Dr.I in 1:32 scale, would not fare well against this one.

10 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Personally, I'd think that would be ill advised. Despite its popularity in some circles, I expect yet another Dr.I in 1:32 scale, would not fare well against this one.

Not trying to „whine“, but it is a real pity that Copper State Models did not dare (?) making a Dr.1. This would have been the perfect kit, I guess. - And now back to what IS instead of what might or should be. Good luck to Copper State Models and to our modeler's community!

21 hours ago, STWilliams said:

What an awful review. Hypercritical. If that kit had come in a WNW box, I suspect it would be nowhere near as damning. As for the warped wings, I just can't see it, what am I missing?

Indeed, that's the worst hatchet job review of a model kit I think I've ever seen. He's gone into that review determined to hate every aspect of the kit, just because it isn't a 'proper' WNW model.

Ray Rimmel thinks it's an excellent kit - that's all the evidence I need.

3 hours ago, vince14 said:

I heard Ray is doing a publication on the Meng and Roden Dr1, do you have any more info on this or links to his opinions on the Dr1?

23 minutes ago, Pup7309 said:

I heard Ray is doing a publication on the Meng and Roden Dr1, do you have any more info on this or links to his opinions on the Dr1?

"Like most all parts,great care must be taken when removing them from the trees.The plastic is a little harder than WNW's but that's no issue,merely an observation. I rate this kit highly, with Darren Mildenhall featuring every detail we would expect to find on a DR.I and some that will be new to many. Next up-the cockpit details..."

On his Windsock & Data file Facebook Group.

If you are prepared to write a review criticising the kit, you need to be able to back up what you say compared to what known experts say.

I note the WWI modeling site reviewer who sparked this discussion is feeling a little hard done by. Perhaps he needs to reconsider if reviewing is for him?

Edited by STWilliams

I don’t think that accuracy of the parts or level of detail are in question, and in many cases those are the primary things that an expert will focus on. The issues with the Meng kit are with the “making a plastic model“ side of the equation, not the “is it an accurate representation of a Dr.1” side.  

Most of the criticisms of the kit are valid.  The wing bend shouldn’t be there and has to be dealt with.  The instructions are a bit of a letdown (mostly because we’ve gotten spoiled by the WNW instructions) and should have included rigging/control cable diagrams.  There are accuracy issues with the decals.  All true.  How important those things are is going to vary from person to person.

13 minutes ago, vince14 said:

Join The Ray Rimmel Windsock & Datafile group on Facebook for the latest info.

Who needs the opinion of a renowned worldwide expert & modeller, who has written innumerable books on the subject, and may be writing another on exactly this subject, who has the kit in his hands and is building it? 

Just hop over to the WWI aircraft forum. They know so much more than over there. "1970's flash", how did Ray miss that? All that horrible flash on the ailerons? The numerous mold seams? The incredibly wonky wings? The too wide axle wing? The overall kit so poor as to encourage CSM to come to market with their own new tool Fokker Triplane kit?

Ray will never live this down.

Cheers I can’t wait to get my kit to look and start working on it.  I’ll be buying his publication to go with the others.
Maybe Meng can change something in their removal technique?

Multiple companies do popular subjects so if CSM want to do one great but I think their hands are tied with other projects. 

Prediction: Roden’s SPAD slated for next year won’t have wing warp. 

Edited by Pup7309

2 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

Cheers I can’t wait to get my kit to look and start working on it.  I’ll be buying his publication to go with the others.
Maybe Meng can change something in their removal technique?

Multiple companies do popular subjects so if CSM want to do one great but I think their hands are tied with other projects. 

Prediction: Roden’s SPAD slated for next year won’t have wing warp. 

Agreed! 

Then again, I rather think the entire wing warping reaction is a tad overdone. From the WIP's I've seen here, and over on WW1aircraft forum, 2-3mm of warp in a wing is absolutely of no consequence for 99.9% of modellers. I just don't understand why the review even mentioned kit- bashing a Roden Triplane as a possible fix. Same with the "1970's level of flash". Seems like all perspective was lost on that review.

11 hours ago, vince14 said:

Indeed, that's the worst hatchet job review of a model kit I think I've ever seen. He's gone into that review determined to hate every aspect of the kit, just because it isn't a 'proper' WNW model.

While I didn't really see the linked web review as being all that critical, I did enjoy the detail photos, as those are what really sold me, finally, on the kit, and for that I'm grateful. And yes, if Ray is pleased, that just confirms my own thoughts, which most definitely are positive.

8 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

I have no idea, but I imagine (hope) he'll be sending it to me for review when it's finished. He's been pretty consistent about that for the last couple of years now, and that's certainly been greatly appreciated by me.

3 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

While I didn't really see the linked web review as being all that critical, I did enjoy the detail photos...

Exactly. VERY nice pics provided with that review. 

Never quite understood why some people need to have their opinions given to them, or why they freak out when another person's opinion doesn't match their own. 

D.