I've buttoned up the fuselage and installed the Reaver AS resin upgrade. Went really well and only a little filler to fair it in on the lower portion. Nothing to difficult even for a beginner like me for this type of conversion. To be fair I have to thank Thunnus for his amazing Bf 109G-6AS as I used his WIP as a guide for mine; thanks John.

TaUP12S.jpg?1

CW1HzLa.jpg

Pit is fitted and all that work disappears :(

pks9DRV.jpg

As does the radio compartment :(

BpXqI7q.jpg

Wing to fuse join for the top is spot on though. I've built 3 or 4 of these Revell kits so far, but this is the first time I've glued the tops on before joining the bottoms. I will employ this method for the next ones.

d69z9O2.jpg

Bottom wing sections were test fitted to enable me to mark and cut out the cartridge ejection shoots.

I3NWWNd.jpg

And finally used some Eduard PE grills from the K-4 for the larger oil filter.

el5xbrH.jpg

Aaron

Being out of lockdown and my racing season trying to start bench time is significantly less than before. However managed a couple of hours yesterday.

Overall view of where we're at

FpsjJJk.jpg

Rivetted and temp installed the control surfaces

NDaamhg.jpg

x2L7CWc.jpg

Set the tail surfaces as per the photo

VN9iD83.jpg

Been faring in the front resin to the fuse

70uqXHb.jpg

ywN3rq2.jpg

Needs a little more work this side

5zWKw1W.jpg

Installed the coolers in the wings and also the oil

0KakafR.jpg

QR6CJcG.jpg

And faring the eagleparts cooler to the fuse

UwikVoZ.jpg

SfKIS4D.jpg

And painted the wheel wells after adding some pipework behind. Not 100% accurate, but adds just a little bit

slIBe7t.jpg

And finally fared in the ammo shoots and lower panels.

A2QWDlv.jpg

Aaron  

Edited by Wackyracer

The G-6/AS looks great!  Even though the view into the radio compartment is obscured by shadow, I like the the details around the opening.  

I riveted my G-6/AS tailplanes as well.  Hasegawa's treatment of the tail planes on it's G/K kits are a little bit different than Revell's and appears to represent the wood tailplanes (assuming that the represented panels on the leading edge were metal plates).  So I didn't apply rivets on those.  The Revell G-6 kit seems to represent the earlier type of tail plane.

IMG-6191.jpg

They may be faint but I did see photographic evidence of rivets on the tailplanes.

271mo-33.jpg

163824as-55.jpg

151591-stabilizer.jpg

I went with all the various reference I have to hand. G-6 from Russia. Caption is for the image above.

nlC7pur.jpg

5QWiq1u.jpg

This one shows the wood tail variation.

LB4ESVz.jpg

As the plane I'm modelling has only one photo and is a Frankenstein of various bits n Bob's I'm more than happy to keep it as is. I added the rivets simply because all my references shows them for g airframes from 1 to 6. 

To be honest I wanted to build this bird simply for the porcupine fug array and I believe these will be the focal and talking points of the build.

• 1 month later...

With the race season abet shortened bench time has been limited to a couple of hours every other weekend. However I managed to get the base coat onto the porcupine.

Started off with some midgrey pre-shading and texture

JOjXT8Z.jpg

WN2UXSn.jpg

6vPDwrL.jpg

Then AK Real Color RLM76 v.2

fLAj8Su.jpg

fSvk7r4.jpg

O1vsqtu.jpg

VqJh1hE.jpg

6XqtHmi.jpg

zzcoPkZ.jpg

bpCKmwG.jpg

XrF8oT6.jpg

As with most cameras nowadays the subtle tones arent recorded, but I'm very happy with the outcome.  

Erm Mr Racer, I have some photos I copied from an article on Britmodeller I think, that show the aerials in front of the oil cooler to be offset to port. I think the reason for this is that the drive motor and linkage for the rear flap (of the oil cooler) is offset to starboard because there is a largish stiffener running down the centre on the inside of the lower cowling. Hope it's not too hard to move them as you've done such a nice job on this model. Sorry to be a pain.

TRF

Edited by fastterry
additional info