THE FINAL HURDLE!... 1:20 scale scratch built B17G

fozzy

Thanks a lot guys!

On 6/19/2021 at 11:51 AM, dodgem37 said:

Great show!, Fozzy.  What are your references?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark....Mostly from Google images and a few reference books I have!

.........And another bit done!

I have to say I am flagging a bit!...finding it difficult to continue with this project. I guess I have been slogging at it for years now and really can't wait until it's all done! I am trying to get it complete before October comes as I am off to the UK and would like to try and take it with me on that trip....I don't know...we shall see!.....talking to myself here!

OK ...so I managed to get the tail plane connection area complete...difficult shapes as the fuselage is round of course!....but I also added a bit of detailing as you can see in this first photo......

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(3).jpg

So I made the simple cartridge shoot for the Cheyenne turret and cut a slice of Coca Cola can for where the barrels go into the turret.

Now onto the Tail plane connection.

This was all scratch built with plastic card. If the elevators were off the fuselage this is what it would look like. The protruding sort of 4 bars you see would be connected to the Horizontal stabilizer and in the D shape there was a cog that operated the elevators...........

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT.jpg

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(1).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(2).jpg

After it all was painted and weathered a tad this is the end result!....I made little canvas bags out of tissue paper to go over the D shape....this was to protect dust and dirt from entering the fuselage ...and saved me making connection cogs!;)

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(4).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(5).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(6).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(7).jpg

...and here is the tail section so far!.......

ert_003.jpg

ert_004.jpg

ert_005.jpg

ert-001.jpg

Right then.......the next part is actually the last internal detail that I will ever have to do on this project!....HOORAY!!!

But that's the next post...

Thanks for taking a look

Cheers

Fozzy

Edited by fozzy

D’ya know something, I never thought to consider how vast that thing would look, just up until I saw those photos of that section in your hand. That’s truly immense, and hugely impressive work. Hats off to you sir. Should it find its way to a table in the UK, I would love to see it. 

Thanks everyone for your support:)....as I have said I am beginning to really slow down on this project now....probably because it's nearing the end!....must say I can't wait!;)

On 6/26/2021 at 3:18 PM, Oldbaldguy said:

Are you positively, absolutely, 100% sure you don’t want to build wings for this thing?  Just askin’.

Positive!;)

Hi to all!

I have been busy in the last week or so trying to get this project moving on to completion...even though I have had a few distractions like mowing oceans of grass in my garden and keeping the Tax man off me!

However I did manage to start on what will be the very last of the interior detail of this fuselage.....and that is the waist gunners positions.

I haven't done a lot but every little helps to get me closer to the end!...as I believe Mr Tesco's would say!...although it has got absolutely nothing to do with him!

I started by cutting all the pieces of wire to represent the rounds that will go into the ammunition boxes (you can see the top layer in the box if you're wondering why I would do that!;))

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT.jpg

The boxes were made out of plastic card and the rounds were placed in the top.....

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(1).jpg

After painting them this is what they look like....

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(2).jpg

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(3).jpg

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(4).jpg

After looking at a few hundred photos I checked to see what equipment was needed for both gunners . ...oxygen bottles....oxygen regulators and their indicators...flying suit heater units ...intercom boxes...bail out alarm bell  and a matchstick!!!:P

The bottles were made from Milliput...which I always find difficult to use for some reason!...the rest was made from plastic and wire.....just to let you know I didn't scratch build the matchstick!

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(5).jpg

The last 4 photos show the equipment in place....

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(6).jpg

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(7).jpg

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(8).jpg

WAIST_GUN_EQUIPMENT_(9).jpg

That's all folks!

Next up will be plexiglass and guns!

Thanks for taking a peek

Cheers

Fozzy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

Another few weeks have passed and time for another post!....done quite a bit so it will be a big post!

I have finished both waist guns except for the ammunition belt which I will have to think about as it won't be easy!

First off I had to make the swivel mechanism that holds the gun in the perspex....so this first photo shows the wooden stick I will use!....just thought you might like to see the stick!!!!

WAIST_GUNS.jpg

After sawing a piece off and drilling a hole and sanding....this is how it looked....

WAIST_GUNS_(1).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(2).jpg

Next photo shows the 2 plates that the swivel mechanisms are bolted to...

WAIST_GUNS_(3).jpg

here we have it glued to one of the window frames....

WAIST_GUNS_(4).jpg

The next photo shows a dry run of the fitting of the MG....and looking at it I must remember to take the sight post off the end of the barrel as that's for the MGs without the compensating sights on!

WAIST_GUNS_(5).jpg

I rummaged through my collection of clear plastic packaging and found a suitable piece to make the perspex for both windows apertures.

WAIST_GUNS_(6).jpg

I already half built the guns a few weeks back and now it was time to finish them off....

WAIST_GUNS_(7).jpg

....and here they are completed ....

WAIST_GUNS_(8).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(9).jpg

I had to do a little research on the K-13 Sperry Compensating sights that I wanted to add to these guns....so after searching the internet and gathering the photos together I started out on the sights...

WAIST_GUNS_(10).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(11).jpg

The sights took me a week to make as they are tiny and quite complicated but got there in the end....here are both the guns with the sights attached and all painted and ready to fit into the fuselage......

WAIST_GUNS_(12).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(13).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(14).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(15).jpg

I glued both guns onto their mounts through the perspex and added a little more detail ..like the control cables (that I haven't a clue what they actually operate.....something to do with.... adjusting ...something!!) ....

Any how here they are in the fuselage......

WAIST_GUNS_(16).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(17).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(18).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(19).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(20).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(21).jpg

WAIST_GUNS_(22).jpg

Going to have to rack my brains now for a solution on how to make the ammunition belts bend and twist from the ammo boxes to the guns.....so see you next year!

All the best and thanks for looking in!

Fozzy