SBD-3 Guadalcanal done, done and..

Woody V

Well, this was boring and tedious, but more like what I was looking for. I’m glad I started on the bottom to get my technique worked out as well as learning to keep oil paint at a safe distance otherwise it has the tendency to leap up and get on places you don’t want it, like your hands, pants and lunch. Oy vey!

171708039.jpg

2 minutes ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Well, this was boring and tedious, but more like what I was looking for. I’m glad I started on the bottom to get my technique worked out as well as learning to keep oil paint at a safe distance otherwise it has the tendency to leap up and get on places you don’t want it, like your hands, pants and lunch. Oy vey!

171708039.jpg

That is looking amazing. 

• 3 weeks later...

A mere 20 hours later and she’s all dirtied up. I used Abteilung Smoke oil paint and a LOT of cotton buds, like a LOT! Once this dries up good I’m going to add some exhaust stains, put the final coat of Mr. Color Flat and Stain mixed 50/50 and then remove the masking.

Photos speak for themselves.

171748071.jpg

171748072.jpg

171748073.jpg

171748074.jpg

171748075.jpg

One last thing regarding my home made decals…. I was sitting by my bench and noticed the way the light was hitting the wing where my decal was. That’s a thin decal…. There is no noticeable step where the decal meets the paint.

171748070.jpg

Thanks for watching. 

• Woody V changed the title to 1/32 SBD-3 Guadalcanal Getting Close!

Frankly, I thought I’d never live to see the day when the control surfaces are on and masking is off. Fourteen months so far on this build.

This is the first time I’ve tried to portray a war-weary aircraft. It didn’t start out like that but I have a special interest in the early years of the war in the Pacific and no fighting men ever had to operate in conditions worse than Guadalcanal. Then I discovered this picture and found my inspiration.

171596396.jpg

Top view with flaps and control surfaces attached.

171778325.jpg

I didn’t glue this part of the upper cowling on so I could build it as a sub assembly. Easier for me to assemble fiddly bits on the bench than on the model. I couldn’t see any reason to use brass guns since so little is visible so I used the kit guns and it’s so simple to just glue them in and be over with it. And yes, I drilled the barrels.
171778326.jpg

Anyway, This is where I am now….. the end is nigh.

BTW, If anyone knows where I ca get a set of resin wheels for this, I’d be very thankful, and BTW, they need to be treaded for ground operations.

4 hours ago, Brett M said:

Looking really nice (and way better than mine)! Looking forward to seeing the finale. B)

Well, I wouldn't go that far. I'm not pointing out my messes.... and there are a bunch. 

I just looked through the entire thread Woody.  In addition to your great professional work, you give some priceless tips - thank you very much for those!  Someday I am going to screw up the courage to try out insignia masks and your thread will be a reference when I do.

Ernest

1 hour ago, Greif8 said:

I just looked through the entire thread Woody.  In addition to your great professional work, you give some priceless tips - thank you very much for those! 

When I finish I'm planning to make a punch list of issues, minor and significant, about the kit. It's like 90% great but the other 10% makes you wonder.