Best 1/32 SBD Dauntless?

Brett M

Hey all

Since I'm finished with the Tamiya Corsair, I'd like to try and find a good kit to start with for an SBD. What I'm finding so far is the Trumpeter kits, but not a lot of aftermarket. I definitely could use some suggestions of other model brands, or if none, aftermarket for the Trumpy kits. 

Any opinions out there? 

Brett

47 minutes ago, Brett M said:

...or if none, aftermarket for the Trumpy kits. 

There used to be a Black Box cockpit available for the Trumpeter SBD kits. But, it really wasn't needed, and apparently wasn't popular enough to keep it in production. 

Being a Trumpeter kit, the tires are that vinyl material which (IMHO) need to be replaced. The only option there are the Master Casters wheels, which are sometimes difficult to find due to sporadic/unreliable production.

HTH,

D

9 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Just be sure to attach the upper wings to the fuselage before adding the lower wing (ie: don’t follow the instructions).  Otherwise you’ll end up with some nasty gaps to fill.

Good advice,  that makes for a perfect fit.  I had zero filler in my build. 

On 3/24/2020 at 11:35 PM, D Bellis said:

Being a Trumpeter kit, the tires are that vinyl material which (IMHO) need to be replaced. The only option there are the Master Casters wheels, which are sometimes difficult to find due to sporadic/unreliable production.

HTH,

D

It is no problem to make a copy  of the original wheels of resin. (at least I did, the original wheels are detailed enough.)

To the wing..have made an "I" type spar from 2mm plastic sheet, across the complete airfoil height, connecting both wing halves, glued to the both inner surfaces of the wing.  This adds the stiffness,  necessary for  a model of that size.

Edited by Jan_K

On 3/24/2020 at 6:35 PM, D Bellis said:

.”There used to be a Black Box cockpit available for the Trumpeter SBD kits. But, it really wasn't needed, and apparently wasn't popular enough to keep it.”

I bought one for the Trumpeter kit and decided to use it with my SBD from Jerry Rutman.  The kit is very nice and the set added more.

Rick