1/32 F-4B

SimonCornes

Using the Tamiya ‘J’ kit as a basis, can someone tell me if the under radome sensor (IR ?) is available as an after market part? I looked on the Hannants website under 1/32 F-4 Phantom and nothing!

Thank

Simon

Conversion to variant "B" contains many things
1: Narrow wing profile
2: Narrow wheels
3: IR sensor
4: Flat Wheel bay cover
5: Another tail tip
6: Other WSO equipment

Such as Real Model:

https://realmodel.cz/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=553&category_id=46&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=79&redirected=1&Itemid=79

1 hour ago, SimonCornes said:

Using the Tamiya ‘J’ kit as a basis, can someone tell me if the under radome sensor (IR ?) is available as an after market part? I looked on the Hannants website under 1/32 F-4 Phantom and nothing!

Thank

Simon

I have to say, for me, the conversion to a B model is very substantive in both modelling time and I think expensive to boot!

Pity, as the colours and markings for this version are excellent and I have a number awaiting the kit if it ever arrives?

Methinks I would prefer this aircraft as a brand new tool from ANYBODY please!!!  :wub:

1 hour ago, CZPetrP said:

Conversion to variant "B" contains many things
1: Narrow wing profile
2: Narrow wheels
3: IR sensor
4: Flat Wheel bay cover
5: Another tail tip
6: Other WSO equipment

Such as Real Model:

https://realmodel.cz/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=553&category_id=46&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=79&redirected=1&Itemid=79

Hmmmm....  seems to a bit more to this than I initially thought!!

Buying from a European supplier may be cheaper in the long run? 

My feeling on whether the C/D or J kit is the best place to start, it’s six of one or half dozen of the other.  The C/D kit gives you the undernose sensor, unslotted stabs (if applicable), and short exhaust.  The J kit gives you the USN style inboard pylons, Navy refueling probe and right rear cockpit sidewall, front nose gear door, slotted stabs (if applicable), and catapult hooks.

You may be able to purchase individual Tamiya sprues from Time Tunnel Models if the kit is current, so if you start with the F-4C/D kit, you can get the Navy pylons and associated parts from the J kit without having to buy an entire kit.  I have used Time Tunnel Models on several occasions and have only good things to say about them.

This is all great info. I had not thought about the C/D kit. I have a C/D in the stash as well as a J. I have recently been copying various parts in resin from the J for the Phantom I am presently finishing as an F-4J(UK) so I am not afraid of doing something similar for a B. J’s are easier/cheaper to get hold of so I’m wondering what C/D bits I will need to copy - or, if I’m lazy, what sprues I might need from the C/D kit? All interesting stuff!!

As others have said, it's a fairly involved process. But it can be done.

Here's mine finished about 10 years ago from the F-4C kit. Of course, it was made even more difficult due to the in-flight display. 

Now on display at the Tailhook HQ just outside Miramar MCAS.

Peter

IMG_4977

IMG_4975

IMG_4971

IMG_4968