Hasegwa Bf 109G-14/AS

LSP_K2

On 7/21/2021 at 12:55 AM, Gazzas said:

The only real problem with making exact copies of full scale paint colors is that you won't be able to see anything. 

Agreed, though dry brushing it all, did lighten it overall somewhat. Fortunately for me, I found a bag of brand new Model Master grays, purchased for some project or another, and the lightest gray helped a bunch. The resin IP even looks acceptable to me now, though I may still dry brush all the instruments with white or ultra light gray.

On 7/22/2021 at 8:30 AM, reserve_22 said:

Bad quality photos(1994:frantic:)-no less no more.It isnt green shade only Rlm66-schwartz grau -black gray .Early years more dark late not so dark ;) .Here is Bf109K4 instrument panel

https://vintageeagle.com/2019/06/25/vet-souvenir-bf-109-k-4-instrument-panel/

Fw190D9

https://vintageeagle.com/2018/07/30/vet-souvenir-fw-190-d-9-instrument-panel/

Excellent, thank you.

On 7/22/2021 at 6:30 AM, reserve_22 said:

Bad quality photos(1994:frantic:)-no less no more.It isnt green shade only Rlm66-schwartz grau -black gray .Early years more dark late not so dark ;) .Here is Bf109K4 instrument panel

Fw190D9

I'm not saying they were 'all' green tinted. Vincent said the ones he took photos of, were.

As you know, late war parts were made wherever, so I wouldn't apply any hard and fast

rules to anything LW.

On 7/19/2021 at 8:28 PM, MikeMaben said:

Hi Troy, I would only counter that by saying there was more than one 66.

Later in the war 66 took on a slightly green tinge. Here's a G-10 unrestored.

You can see a difference between the cockpit color and the 66 on the canopy framing.

Remember too, it's all about the lighting.

hth

Mike, those are great images, had no idea there was an unrestored late war 109 cockpit out there (aside from the Australian example).    Any other pics available to share?

Edited by John1

12 hours ago, John1 said:

Mike, those are great images, had no idea there was an unrestored late war 109 cockpit out there (aside from the Australian example).    Any other pics available to share?

WNF G10 at Planes of fame, unrestored cockpit, notice the wood  floor  and the asymmetrical bulky cannon cover, cheers

89454468-2721810921373135-38131789487291

89472037-2721722144715346-77831611361861

95478460-4051680168207329-55125015498734

95138784-872066129888049-622800780964082

WW2-German-Luftwaffe-Druckmesser-Pressur

Guest Vincent
On 7/22/2021 at 4:30 PM, reserve_22 said:

Fw190D9

There's just one flaw with your logic : the components you are listing were produced by subcontractors, most of which never received the new composition AND the new composition was for metal parts only. So a plywood instrument panel for ex would NEVER be painted in that shade.

This new composition is however well documented on landing gear struts, cockpit areas and some gun bay components. But you don't have to believe me

Guest Vincent
16 minutes ago, reserve_22 said:

I have open monde for new informations

And by the way, I took the pictures in 2001, i just did not bother to set the camera clock correctly

Guest Vincent

This one has nothing to do with bad quality, it was a reformulation of RLM66 to expand its usage outside the role of topcoat it was having previously. Basically the idea was to replace RLM02 on all metal applications, including outside components (RLM66 was initially an internal/finishing topcoat)

This is the reason why you suddenly start to see undercarriage legs finished in dark grayish green (that some authors mistakenly identify as RLM70 or RLM83). But because existing stocks of both RLM02 and RLM66 had to be exhausted before ordering the new composition, some factories never applied it. We know the the greenish hue was present when freshly applied because of a survey made by the Royal Aircraft Establishment in July and August 1945. They toured all the suppliers of the Me 262 manufacturers with emphasis on epoxy type paints and putties because the jet age was bringing completly new challenges in these areas. My copy of the report is on loan at the moment but there is a mention of the RLM66 metal finishing paint "having been reformulated from topcoat to single layer finish of both internal and external structures and having the unique property to withstand the stamping and forming of already painted duralumin sheets" he color hue is listed as "dark sea green" which is pretty consistent with the surviving parts we have.

I must stress once more that this new formulation was nowhere near being the norm at the end of the war and MTT is pretty much the only manufacturer using it on a large scale. For example I do not know of a single Fw190 having it as the cockpit base color but some subcontracted components of both the 190 and the Ta-152 have been painted with what appears to be this new formulation

In any case, you CAN use the regular hue of RLM66 because it was the norm. On landing gears I would however go for the greenish hue because they are well documented

I have to tell you fellas, I'm getting real tired of this. I decided to work on some of the smaller bits tonight, which I did, and discovered that I've now apparently misplaced both main gear doors! I can (and will) cannibalize my G-6 or K-4 kits (again), but this constantly losing parts, is getting to be real old.