Ki-45 Toryu - Kai-Ko - 53rd Sentai, Matsudo AB, 1944 - DONE!

Out2gtcha

Thanks guys, very kind of you. I'm feeling it with this one, as I do love to weather Japanese aircraft. I didn't go too overboard as I've seen some REALLY chipped up and dirty ships before, but I did keep this one very heavily weathered. I do like that look on IJA aircraft. It doesn't look overdone to my 1:1 eyeball, (IRL)at least not to me when it comes to in service IJA airplanes in WWII.

Overall weathering done, I just am minus weathering the belly a bit more and adding some minor exhaust streaking. Overall Tamiya washes, Tamiya weathering pallets, liquid mask chipping, AK engine oil, kerosene leaks and stains, various filters ect ect. Sorry about the quality of the pics, my cell phone camera sucks

20201031_164906-X2.jpg

20201031_164922-XL.jpg

20201031_164930-XL.jpg

20201031_164949-XL.jpg

20201031_165116-XL.jpg

Only about 8 small decals to put on overall

20201031_165302-XL.jpg

20201031_165131-XL.jpg

20201031_165319-XL.jpg

Finally got the rudder attached too. MUCH more of a PITA than I had originally thought, mainly due to having to remake/modify the rudder actuator. It definitely did not turn out perfect, but it did turn out well enough at least to create the allusion its all one bar: 

20201031_165033-XL.jpg

20201031_165010-XL.jpg

20201031_164713-X2.jpg

20201031_164736-X2.jpg

Much more work to go on the underside as well as exhaust. Need to get on with painting the scissor links and gear door retraction mechanisms, as then I can install those and get on with securing the main wheels and tail wheel down and flat. 

Till next time, 

Cheers! 

4 hours ago, Rockie Yarwood said:

I have no idea how I'll be able to squeeze it into the hobby room! Thanks for sharing!

Mine's not in my cave either. It's next to my computer in my 'office'.

Where's your computer Rockie ?  Might have to move it.

...or are you pulling legs ?  :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, MikeMaben said:

Mine's not in my cave either. It's next to my computer in my 'office'.

Where's your computer Rockie ?  Might have to move it.

...or are you pulling legs ?  :rolleyes:

A Macbook in the hobby room, and an iMac in the living room. The Silhouette will have to stay in the living room, but I'll have to move the sofa a little bit. The darned apartment is just too small for all of my toys. ;)

Thanks guys! Yes, my Silhouette is not in my model room either. Its in my computer room with my work lap top that has now become my "office".

Just got done doing a bunch of fiddly stuff, like painting and installing the gear door actuators, painting and installing the scissor links, brake lines and partially painting and fully installed the canopy handles for both the pilot and rear gunner.

Tomorrow Ill be fixing the tail wheel gear that I broke way back when before I started painting, and will also install the wheels since I now have the scissor links, gear door actuators and brake lines in. Not unlike @ericg, I for whatever reason am very picky about the stance of my models. Nothing ruins a model for me faster that seeing nice flattened wheels that are not actually flat. Or even worse no flat spot on the wheels which makes the model look like its standing on its tippy toes. 

Till next time, 

Cheers

Marching steadily and relentlessly toward the end!   This one is just now down to a few of the final details. I forged on and got the MLG wheels glued in on my piece of tile I used to foil, so as to get them perfectly flat (or as near perfect as I can get).

I prefer to use 15 min mid cure epoxy for gluing on wheels, as I like to have time to adjust their position as needed on the fly. Small pieces of blu tac on the outside of the wheels usually keeps them in line until the epoxy is cured. I'll connect up the brake lines ones everything has hardened off:

20201101_162903-XL.jpg

20201101_162912-XL.jpg

20201101_162918-XL.jpg

20201101_162935-XL.jpg

I also managed to get the canopy handles glued on and painted/weathered up:

20201101_163256-XL.jpg

20201101_163305-XL.jpg

For a funny size comparison..................a 1/32nd F7F Tigercat prop on a 1/32nd Ki-45 - lol - It looks like I'm holding it WAY away from the model, like the prop is in the foreground but I'm actually nearly holding it right up on the cowl :

20201101_163140-XL.jpg

Thats it for now fellas. Ill be letting this cure for a bit as I take the wife out for her birthday. :D  

Later if she wants some "her" time, Ill probably get on with the last semi-major thing, and that is installing the belly light and subsequently paint it and the wing tip lights.

Cheers!

23 hours ago, Rockie Yarwood said:

Stunning work - truly inspirational.  Just one small gripe, you inspired me to buy a Silhouette Cameo of my own - it arrived today

and I have no idea how I'll be able to squeeze it into the hobby room! Thanks for sharing!

Rockie

I ended up putting mine in my office for that exact reason.  Between models, woodworking, and my wife’s drawing and sewing hobbies, there was ZERO room for anything else in the basement!