Ki-45 Toryu - Kai-Ko - 53rd Sentai, Matsudo AB, 1944 - DONE!

Out2gtcha

Thanks guys.

Ever have something happen on a model that sends your MoJo from 10,000 to dead STOP?

Happened to me last night on the Ki-45. 

I guess I should have known things were going way too well for something disastrous not to happen.

It started when I was going to apply the lower belly light and noticed a seam had popped. Easy enough fix, if not slightly annoying at this the 11th hour:

i-WPCmmMf-XL.jpg

Then the true horrors started.

I was all giddy starting to peak off the canopy masking. I started finding disasters in the rear canopy in the form of overspray on the inside of the canopy.

Not good. To my temporary relief, I found it wasnt actual overspray, but paint that had was already dried, but stuck to the windows via static.

A quick swipe with a barely moistened cotton swab did the trick.

i-ZSp6VW3-XL.jpg

I then moved on to the front canopy..........I wasnt getting a warm fuzzy I'll tell you that. 

My fear was justified when I pealed off the masking and found that nearly every window had the same paint fogging on the inside:

i-nJsRfkz-XL.jpg

i-rhjPqdQ-XL.jpg

I have to admit, with everything glued down, smoothed out, painted weathered and within a hairs breath of being done I was pretty crushed. 

Back in a minute with the truly horrible picks..........

I attempted at first to try to feed a wire inside with a cotton bud on it, but very quickly figured out that was a no go.

There are only so many options here:

- bin the entire model

- cut the windscreen and canopy        off and clean the inside from there

- cut out the center section and          attempt to clean the windscreen        via a long cotton bud/Q-tip.

I chose the later. I just kept thinking the whole time as I was sawing into my 98% completed model,

"am I really doing this?!??"

Yep.......

i-Cf5RJx5-XL.jpg

Never really expected to have a convertible at this point. I even had to saw off the cross-brace behind the pilots seat:

i-X8SDjCS-XL.jpg

Not sure how cleanup is going to go, let alone reconstruction and repaint. I felt like I had to make the surgery cuts last night or I might never have done it. 

Needless to say I'm not completely defeated here but my MoJo has taken a serious hit on this one, so might take me awhile to come to a refix solution.

Cheers

32 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I attempted at first to try to feed a wire inside with a cotton bud on it, but very quickly figured out that was a no go.

There are only so many options here:

- bin the entire model

- cut the windscreen and canopy        off and clean the inside from there

- cut out the center section and          attempt to clean the windscreen        via a long cotton bud/Q-tip.

I chose the later. I just kept thinking the whole time as I was sawing into my 98% completed model,

"am I really doing this?!??"

Yep.......

i-Cf5RJx5-XL.jpg

Never really expected to have a convertible at this point. I even had to saw off the cross-brace behind the pilots seat:

i-X8SDjCS-XL.jpg

Not sure how cleanup is going to go, let alone reconstruction and repaint. I felt like I had to make the surgery cuts last night or I might never have done it. 

Needless to say I'm not completely defeated here but my MoJo has taken a serious hit on this one, so might take me awhile to come to a refix solution.

Cheers

It is an unfortunate set-back...on such a beautiful model, and at this stage, nearing completion. However, it'll work out fine, you'll find a solution - that's what this game is all about. Don't give up! I had to do the same thing to the canopy on my Ju88 that I'm busy on - I realised once I had CA'ed the canopies on, fitted the MG with it's ammo belt, etc - that I had forgotten to spray the interior framing - which is unforgivable on a glasshouse like the 88 has. So out came the no11 blade, razor saw, sweat, tears and prayers.
Then the spraying, refitting and blending. It'll come to you, ust give yourself time to work out your plan of attack. At least you've taken the most difficult step already...
Looking forward to the remedy!!