Ki-45 Toryu - Kai-Ko - 53rd Sentai, Matsudo AB, 1944 - DONE!

Out2gtcha

Ouch! But I am sure your skills are more than up to the challenge. It is weird how so often this sort of setback occurs right near the end - just an ever surmounting list of possibilities for near disaster I guess.

Beautiful build though of what is definitely my favourite Japanese aircraft. Can't imagine the peeling off of the camo masks.

Cheers,

Buzzkill for sure, Brian.  But, as with most unfortunate things that befell our projects... it could've been worse! ;)  Based on the location of the resultant seam being in a fairly accessible location, I think you've done well to minimize the reconstruction and I think you'll be able to restore her without any visible indications of the work.  The hard-edged camo, with your access to your mask files, should also be a check on the plus side!

I always feel that combination of dread/excitement when it comes time to pull off those canopy masks.  I've had to rip off canopy parts too and it is not a good feeling when you are so far down the road on a build.  But this project is worth a little extra work and I'm sure you have the ability to pull it off!

Thanks gents. I really mean it. The encouragement has given me the gumption to start the fix.

I just needed a day away for some perspective.

The paint fogging was actually much more visible IRL, so was resigned to the fact of not being able to leave it, and the other option of removing the windscreen was a no go because I KNOW I would have cracked or broken it.

Well, repairs in progress............

i-xmwjRn2-X2.jpg

The starboard side was definitely the rougher of the 2 sides:

i-pwdg65J-X2.jpg

i-vdRLHz9-X2.jpg

i-V52tprZ-X2.jpg

i-CvjMGLS-X2.jpg

Finally I resurrected the canopy masks (the OOB ZM masks were excellent btw) and applied some Mr Surfacer 500.

i-6PLZ838-X2.jpg

I'll let this harden off overnight and see how things look tomorrow then move of to the smoothing and blending part.

Cheers!

Thanks gents. For sure a bummer, but yes, looks to be repairable at this stage.  Not sure how noticeable or not it will be, but I will try to get it back to as close as I can to where it was before.

I did forget to glue back in the damn headrest hoop that surrounds the headrest though!    :BANGHEAD2:   Oh well...........its not going back in now!  I do think I can stick a small hairy stick in the oblique canon holes and at least get some paint on the cut off ends of the hoop, and hopefully they will be less noticeable. 

14 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I did forget to glue back in the damn headrest hoop that surrounds the headrest though!    :BANGHEAD2:   Oh well...........its not going back in now!  I do think I can stick a small hairy stick in the oblique canon holes and at least get some paint on the cut off ends of the hoop, and hopefully they will be less noticeable. 

You shouldn't have said anything, now we all know (all 6000 of us).

TRF

awesome stuff 

the only problem with being 'good' is that you are able to take on bigger and seemingly impossible to fix f*ck ups

on that basis you have a BIG problem lol

very interested in pictures / description of how you sand the finish down smooth that close to the clear panels - that's the bit that would scare me

as others have said - you got this!