HH-60G Pavehawk Kitty Hawk 1/35 DONE!!

Pete Fleischmann

Just curious:  How long did it take you to plan the sequence of this build?  I’m sure little to none of this was covered in the instructions.  I would think this kind of quality, accuracy, realism and execution had to come from long nights lying awake plotting and scheming.

3 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Just curious:  How long did it take you to plan the sequence of this build?  I’m sure little to none of this was covered in the instructions.  I would think this kind of quality, accuracy, realism and execution had to come from long nights lying awake plotting and scheming.

You are correct about that!
the Kitty Hawk instructions are pretty bad to begin with…mislabeled part numbers and horrible illustrations .. plus an assembly sequence that doesn’t seem to assume the builder will actually paint the model.

My instructions are full of hand-written notes and changes. I also have a checklist of items that I wrote to keep me on track. I spent many nights studying the directions and comparing them to other builds I saw out there on the web to come up with a sequence that worked for me and the changes that I wanted to include. I am grateful for the builds that came before mine that helped me identify pitfalls that I hadn’t anticipated.

I literally fall asleep every night with some issue/challenge about this kit rolling around in my mind. It is a great kit, but lots of planning ahead is required to avoid problems.

hopefully this build and Tim’s build will help anyone else that wants a go at this kit!

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

On 11/27/2020 at 12:12 PM, Shoggz said:

I think those are the best figures I've ever seen. Just superb. (And the rest of the model aint bad, either!)

Thanks Shoggs, appreciate that! I really enjoyed painting them, and have some others in mind as gifts for my two older sons who are brand new  US Army infantry officers- bound for Ranger school, Airborne, and ultimately SF- 

quite a personal connection that hopefully will be reflected in the final result.

I really feel that we as aircraft modelers could use some help in the figure department, based on my own experience trying to research techniques for figure painting that were easy and repeatable. The best books I found are any by Mr. Black- I highly recommend them.

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

59 minutes ago, A-10LOADER said:

Pete, I'm just wondering why you waited to add this top section after you painted everything else instead of adding it then painting everything at once ? Inquiring minds would like to know.

This build is absolutely stunning BTW.

Steve

Hi Steve,

mostly because I’m impatient I guess! But also, I really didn’t want to leave the masks on the clear parts for months. Most of the masks were applied before I attached them to the fuselage . I took a gamble that I could get the top half to fit after I painted the bottom. 
I agree with Matt: the aft seam will require some attention. My plan is to leave the aft section of the upper deck unpainted, attach the top, fill the gap, re-scribe the panel line at the seam, and finish the paint-

cheers

Pete