TimHepplestone

RAF WW2 camouflage. Hard edge or soft edge?

21 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Indeed but look now at the edge close to the navigator... 

Yes, and the nose too. The grey paint on the rear fuselage also has a sheen to it, the paint on the rest of the aircraft is very matte and dull. Looks like the rear was repainted, for squadron code changes maybe or damage repair? Just a guess.

Edited by R Palimaka

It is original "repaint" from the war. This is the history of this plane

Ordered as part of contract B19713/39, Aug. 9, 1939. Built by Supermarine Aviation at the Wooston works, Southampton, 1940. - Merlin III fitted. - First flight at Eastleigh. Pilot George Pickering, July 11, 1940. Delivered to RAF as R6915. - BOC: July 7, 1940. - Delivered to 6 MU at RAF Brize Norton in preparation for service, July 11, 1940. Between 20 July and 7 Oct 1940 it made 57 operational sorties, at heights varying from 4000 to 25000 ft. The aircraft was flown during this period by 13 different pilots. (records of these on file).. - Transferred to 609 (West Riding) Sqn, 'B' Flight Blue Section at RAF Middle Wallop. Coded PR-U, July 21, 1940. --12 August 1940. One Me 110 damaged while being flown by P/O Miller 1200-1300 hrs over Swanage at 15,000 feet. --13 August 1940. Two Ju-87 damaged - P/O Ostaszewski: 1530 - 1645 hrs over Portland 20,000 feet. --25 August 1940. One Me110 destroyed. P/O Agazarian: 1700 - 1745 hrs -- Damage sustained in action. Hit in oil sump by He111. Forced landing at White Waltham. Pilot Plt Of Noel le C. Agazarian, Sept. 7, 1940. --25 September 1940. One He111 destroyed. P/O Agazarian: 1600 - 1650n hrs --26 September 1940. One Bf-109 destroyed. Two Do-17 'probables'. Over Bournemouth at approx. 1630 hrs. P/O Agazarian. --27 September 1940. One Me110 destroyed. P/O Agazarian. -- Damage sustained in action. North of Warmwell. Hit in glycol tank by He111. He11 claimed 'damaged'. Returned to base. Pilot Plt Of Noel le C. Agazarian, Sept. 30, 1940. -- Squadron moved to RAF Warmwell, Oct. 2, 1940. -- Damaged sustained in action over Dorchester. Hit by cannon fire by a Bf 109, one Me110 destroyed. Returned to base. Pilot Flg Of John Dundas, Oct. 7, 1940. - Transferred to No 1 CRU for repairs at Cowley, Oct. 14, 1940. - Transferred to 12 MU at RAF Kirkbride, Dec. 12, 1940. - Transferred to 602 (City of Glasgow) Sqn at RAF Prestwick. Coded ZT-, Jan. 21, 1941. January - May 1941 aircraft assigned to and flown by Lt. F K Thornton RAFVR. -- Squadron moved to RAF Ayr, Apr. 14, 1941. - Transferred to 61 OTU at RAF Heston. Coded ?, July 6, 1941. - On charge with No 43 Group at RAF Hendon, July 22, 1941. - Transferred to General Aircraft Limited at Hanworth, July 29, 1941. - Transferred to 45 MU at RAF Kinloss, Oct. 2, 1941. - Transferred to 5 MU at RAF Kemble, 19??. - Transferred to No 1 CRU for repairs at Cowley, Apr. 2, 1942. -- Repaired awaiting collection, Apr. 15, 1942. - Transferred to 6 MU at RAF Brize Norton, Apr. 28, 1942. - Transferred to 61 OTU at RAF Rednal. Coded UU-, June 21, 1942. -- Damaged. Flying accident. Repaired on site, Apr. 20, 1943. - Transferred to 57 OTU at RAF Eshott. Coded ?, June 13, 1943. -- Damaged. Flying accident, Sept. 21, 1943. -- Repaired, awaiting collection, Dec. 10, 1943. - Transferred to 39 MU at RAF Colerne, Dec. 25, 1943. - Transferred to the Royal Naval Development Unit, Jan. 1944. - Transferred to 39 MU at RAF Colerne, Feb. 24, 1944. - Transferred to 82 MU at RAF Lichfield, May 10, 1944. - Transferred to 52 MU at RAF Cardiff Aircraft packing unit, Aug. 25, 1944. - Recorded in the RAF Census, Mar. 21, 1946. - SOC: June 21, 1947 Imperial War Museum, London. Aug. 28, 1946-2002. - Suspended by cables from ceiling.

9 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

[if you listen carefully you can hear Ron paying homage to the God of Copy & Paste :lol:]

Absolutely,  that came straight from the IWM website! LOL

sorry Ron, it was meant to be funny but doesn't read that way on reflection :doh:

i was musing what if we had to write stuff out long hand the old school way - what a pain the backside that would be!

anyway, thank you for the history of that airframe 

Edited by nmayhew

This aircraft’s operational history is particularly poignant for me since so much of it took place in the skies above the place that I’ve called home for most of my life, the south coast of Dorset. Warmwell is a tiny village with a fighter airfield adjacent, which was just 15 minutes away from my house. The village’s churchyard has a dozen or so beautifully-tended graves from wartime RAF fatalities. Sadly no trace remains now of the airfield, gravel extraction has claimed it. 

7 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Interesting thread.  FWIW (and maybe confuse the issue more), this Mk I is supposed to have original paint.  Looks pretty freehand to me.

That’s not a factory paint job though.  No Mk.I or II left the factory in the 1942 colors.  The real question is about factory applied schemes.

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

That’s not a factory paint job though.  No Mk.I or II left the factory in the 1942 colors.  The real question is about factory applied schemes.

Not entirely, although it may have morphed into that question.  Here's the first post.

On 9/12/2019 at 3:22 PM, TimHepplestone said:

Recently in several model magazines I’m seeing more builds where paper or tape masks , applied flush to the model, have even used to create hard edged demarcations on RAF camouflage subjects. My preference is always to create a softer edged appearance either by using a mask slightly lifted off the surface or by freehand spraying. Does anyone have any thoughts on what would be more historically accurate though? My reference photos seem to show a slightly soft edge although interpreting old period photos can be difficult 

Thanks in advance

Tim

Notwithstanding that this Spit was repainted, it is "historically accurate" since it was repainted during the war.  When I took these pics there was a sign describing the info above, but also that the paint job was "in original livery from the war".  I've got lots of Spitfire books like Bracken's, "Spitfire, The Canadians" and most of the wartime photos show the camo pattern to be feathered rather than hard edged, much like my pics above.  Was this factory?  Who cares, as long as it's "accurate".

Chuck

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

What are the chine strip thingies on the outside of the wing blisters? 

Bit more info on the stiffeners

Spitfire external wing stiffeners

Mod 532 "To stiffen wing near wheel well" went into production 14-8-42, on the Ia, IIa, Va, IIb & Vb, and was made retrospective, but "on repair only." This caused at least one anomaly, where AR213, until its recent rebuild, had one stiffened, and one non-stiffened, wing.
There was another stiffening mod, 455, but that was cancelled by 532 (and 529, for the Vc.) So far, I haven't been able to find out what 455 entailed, probably because 529 & 532 cancelled it, so all drawings were scrapped; it's somewhat academic, anyway, since it, too, didn't happen until 19-11-41, so no 1940 airframe should have any form of visible wing stiffening (there was another one, inside the l/e "D" box, but that doesn't count, unless you're building a skeleton, and another, for thicker gauge metal, at the rear of a couple of wing ribs.)
For the record, stiffened wings still retained the "other" stiffeners/bracing inside the wheel wells on the "A" & "B" wings, while the "C" had completely new internal bracing.
Edgar

Cheers

Dennis