Jump to content
TimHepplestone

RAF WW2 camouflage. Hard edge or soft edge?

Recommended Posts

Recently in several model magazines I’m seeing more builds where paper or tape masks , applied flush to the model, have even used to create hard edged demarcations on RAF camouflage subjects. My preference is always to create a softer edged appearance either by using a mask slightly lifted off the surface or by freehand spraying. Does anyone have any thoughts on what would be more historically accurate though? My reference photos seem to show a slightly soft edge although interpreting old period photos can be difficult 

 

Thanks in advance

 

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ryan said:

I seem to remember a wartime shot of rubber masks for spitfire camo.

 

So hard edge, but I'm hardley an expert.

 

If that were the case (and you're far from alone in maintaining that it is), then it stands to reason that you would see Spitfires, or at least groups of Spitfires, with identical (absolutely identica because they were painted using the same rubber/leather matsl) camouflage patterns. I defy you to find me two Spits with factory applied camouflage - even Spitfires within the same serial number batch - that have absolutely identical patterns. You simply Do. Not. See. Them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

 

If that were the case (and you're far from alone in maintaining that it is), then it stands to reason that you would see Spitfires, or at least groups of Spitfires, with identical (absolutely identica because they were painted using the same rubber/leather matsl) camouflage patterns. I defy you to find me two Spits with factory applied camouflage - even Spitfires within the same serial number batch - that have absolutely identical patterns. You simply Do. Not. See. Them.

 

 

 

 I don't know, these Spitfires at the Castle Bromwich factory, their fuselage camouflage applications

look pretty identical to me?

 

Spitfires Castle Bromwich

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The smaller the scale then the harder the edge.

What might be a soft edge on the real thing would scale down to a harder edge in 1/32 and even less as the scale reduces.

I always used blutack rolled into 1/4 " "worms" to mask the edges and then sprayed from vertically above.

Not quite a crisp/hard demarcation but I think looks good in scale. 

Edited by PhilB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to agree it is your model and finish it as you see fit, I like soft edges using paper masks and blu tac but it is a very time consuming operation so for my last three Spitfires I have used masks and they came out great and it was a lot easier.

 

Cheers

 

Dennis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LDSmodeller said:

 

 I don't know, these Spitfires at the Castle Bromwich factory, their fuselage camouflage applications

look pretty identical to me?

 

Spitfires Castle Bromwich

 

 

 

hmmm...a 5 second glance at the two Spits bottom left - there are differences

clearly the same pattern is intended - maybe even the same mat or mask or template etc - but the end result is differences between airframes; sometimes subtle, sometimes immdeiately obvious

moreover, some parts of the schemes are as close to the same as i can see with that small pic and my crappy eyes, whilst other parts do have differences etc

 

as others have said if you are building a MkI / II Spit then absolutely hard-edge

 

let us know what aircraft you are building and you may get more info / helpful images etc

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

as others have said if you are building a MkI / II Spit then absolutely hard-edge

 

Then as far as I recall, you can throw in the A or B pattern for the earlier spits which corresponded to the last number of the serial being odd or even.

I miss Edgar!!!!!

:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember Edgar saying that the spitfire was painted using masks but for the life of me, I cannot find the thread or that it was on LSP for that matter.... so FWIW...the spitfire I've read had A and B schemes which were the same pattern but using the opposite colors...dark earth and dark green swapped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...